Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Why no Covers in ePub from Kobobooks?

I ordered a book from Kobobooks.com ... and downloaded the ePub book to ADE. Despite paying $14 for the book ... the ePub version downloads without the cover art. I'd like to know why?

It's not as if the cover art can't be a part of the ePub ... and given that one isn't given a discount for taking the ePub over some other format ... so I feel terribly cheated by kobobooks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Publishers often do not have the contracts in place with the artists for the cover art to be part of the ePUB file. This is not a Kobo issue and you will see this complaint all over the place. From my POV, Publishers have often "cheaped out" when releasing digital editions. This is reflected not only in the lack of cover art, but also in the sloppy job they often do with the files themselves.

Last edited by taming; 12-15-2010 at 08:44 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The Publishers often do not have the contracts in place with the artists for the cover art to be part of the ePUB file. This is not a Kobo issue and you will see this complaint all over the place. From my POV, Publishers have often "cheaped out" when releasing digital editions. This is reflected not only in the lack of cover art, but also in the sloppy job they often do with the files themselves.
but why the difference between formats? you would figure there was a master ebook that's then converted to whatever format they are selling in, be it kobo sql, kindle mobi, epub, etc? Doing the job for each seperate version seems to be even more of a waste of money?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Psyke, if I knew the answer to that problem I would quit my day job and reinvent publishing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
I ordered a book from Kobobooks.com ... and downloaded the ePub book to ADE. Despite paying $14 for the book ... the ePub version downloads without the cover art. I'd like to know why?

It's not as if the cover art can't be a part of the ePub ... and given that one isn't given a discount for taking the ePub over some other format ... so I feel terribly cheated by kobobooks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mary
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the problem is how ADE processes the epub- it assumes that the first page is the cover rather than searching elsewhere for the art. Some publishers include the cover as the first page and but most include it somewhere elsewhere in the file. (Which is I think Taming's point about them cheaping out. I suspect it's simpler to covert the file and include the cover seperately rather than embed it as the first page).

Most books I download with ADE don't have a cover but every book I've added to my Kobo via the desktop has included the cover.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 12-15-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the problem is how ADE processes the epub- it assumes that the first page is the cover rather than searching elsewhere for the art. Some publishers include the cover as the first page and but most include it somewhere elsewhere in the file. (Which is I think Taming's point about them cheaping out. I suspect it's simpler to covert the file and include the cover seperately rather than embed it as the first page).

Most books I download with ADE don't have a cover but every book I've added to my Kobo via the desktop has included the cover.
It's been hit and miss with me. Some of my Kobo-downloaded books have the official cover (other's don't). Some of my side-loaded library books have the official cover (other's don't). I figured it just had to do with the deal with the publisher...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
It is definitely an ADE problem, All my covers show up in Kobo Desktop and all my covers showed up in ADE prior to the 1.8.1 firmware upgrade... somewhere along the line something got missed and ADE messes with "Some" of the cover art.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
This sounds familiar. I don't think I have ever got a cover on an ADE loaded book. It really annoys me as the covers show when you buy the book - but then get stripped out and you get some grotty almost courier font cover - or a standard blue bar down the side. It's one of the reasons I liberate my books and add a cover in calibre - and I get to pick the cover I want, even if it is a different edition.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote