Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Searching inside the book

Well, I've already met a couple of problems with searching on the Glowlight Plus. First, I have some huge omnibus editions and searching within text in those is excruciatingly slow. For example, it is almost impossible to search for anything inside my omnibus of "The Wheel of Time" (all 14 volumes in one edition). I could probably take a bath while my Nook is searching. That was a real bummer (on my Kindles it's almost instantaneous to search for something inside the book and it doesn't matter how long the book is). True, there are very few books as hefty as the WoT omnibus, but still.

Second, and more important, when I search for something in the book, get the results and select one of them, how am I supposed to return to the page I was on? I can go back to the results page, but that's all. Any further tapping of the back symbol will take me out of the book entirely. I've tried for an hour now, but can't find a way to return to my place after I've hopped between search results. Possibly I'm missing something obvious here...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I've already met a couple of problems with searching on the Glowlight Plus. First, I have some huge omnibus editions and searching within text in those is excruciatingly slow. For example, it is almost impossible to search for anything inside my omnibus of "The Wheel of Time" (all 14 volumes in one edition). I could probably take a bath while my Nook is searching. That was a real bummer (on my Kindles it's almost instantaneous to search for something inside the book and it doesn't matter how long the book is). True, there are very few books as hefty as the WoT omnibus, but still.
I dunno, I don't read huge omnibus sets. But one thing I know that speeds up the Nook is to change from Dalvik to Art in the Developer's settings. I mentioned this to you before.

I can try it with "War and Peace" for you later.

Quote:
Second, and more important, when I search for something in the book, get the results and select one of them, how am I supposed to return to the page I was on? I can go back to the results page, but that's all. Any further tapping of the back symbol will take me out of the book entirely. I've tried for an hour now, but can't find a way to return to my place after I've hopped between search results. Possibly I'm missing something obvious here...
I just tried it. I pressed the back arrow after selecting a search page, in the upper left corner, then pressed the 3 dot icon in the upper right corner then pressed jump to page and entered my starting page number. That the operation is a bit convoluted makes sense because if you are search for a term in a book they are making the assumption you want go to another page for good because the term is not on your current page you are reading so you are probably on the wrong page.

Basically, just remember what page you were on it is not hard.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-23-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I dunno, I don't read huge omnibus sets. But one thing I know that speeds up the Nook is to change from Dalvik to Art in the Developer's settings. I mentioned this to you before.

I can try it with "War and Peace" for you later.
No need, it more or less works with anything less huge than the WoT omnibus.

Quote:
I just tried it. I pressed the back arrow after selecting a search page, in the upper left corner, then pressed the 3 dot icon in the upper right corner then pressed jump to page and entered my starting page number. That the operation is a bit convoluted makes sense because if you are search for a term in a book they are making the assumption you want go to another page for good because the term is not on your current page you are reading so you are probably on the wrong page.

Basically, just remember what page you were on it is not hard.
Thanks. It would be more convenient if you could just press the back symbol, but yes, that's a workaround.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
I tried to find the Don Quixote omnibus , on project Gutenberg, but they split it into volumes so , I did the next best thing : I downloaded War and Peace. War and peace is about 3,5000 pages and searching in it for the word or term 'thief' only took about 1 to 2 seconds more than in a 370 page book.

I don't find the search function slow really just somewhat slower than the Kindle in my use cases.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-23-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I tried to find the Don Quixote omnibus , on project Gutenberg, but they split it into volumes so , I did the next best thing : I downloaded War and Peace. War and peace was about 3,500 pages or so and searching in it for the word or term 'thief' only took about 1 to 2 seconds more than in a 370 page book.
Yep, the search engine only chokes on the WoT omnibus with 11,000 pages. It does fine with my next longest omnibus with 3,500 pages.
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. It would be more convenient if you could just press the back symbol, but yes, that's a workaround.
Well, like I said if you search for a term that is not on a page(s) you are currently on then you are probably on the wrong page. I think that is the kind of logic that B&N is using here. There might be another way to get around it too. Like , you could book mark the page before you start searching for the term then return to the bookmark and remove the bookmark if you want.

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat and this bookmark method would be another workaround. Actually, that is how you would do it in a real book.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-23-2019 at 07:26 PM.