Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Calibre Content Server, Can I email a book?

Calibre 3.23.0
Lubuntu 16.04 (where the server is)
Android 6

Is there a way to send a book to my Kindle (via email) directly from the Calibre Content Server?

Currently, when I view a book, there are two options, Read and Download.

I can download a book, then turn around and email it to my Amazon Kindle account, and it will show up in my kindle library.

It would be nice if there were a button called Send or Email (similar to the share option in the Calibre database manager) to bypass the down and upload steps.

Thanks Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can directly browse the content server on your kindle (using /mobile and downlaod the book there).

To answer your quuestion no there is no email in the server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can directly browse the content server on your kindle (using /mobile and downlaod the book there).

To answer your quuestion no there is no email in the server.
Are there any plans to add this? Maybe just have it use the same settings that are in the desktop gui for emailing?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not out of the question, but it's not a high proiority either, as I dont see much of a use case for it. Given that you have to be able to access the server to initiate the email anyway, why not just downoad the book directly?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

In the, admittedly, special case of the Kindle app on the android (I believe it is actually called "kindle for Android") you cannot browse any other location except the Amazon Kindle store.

Yes, I can access the Calibre Content Server from my Android browser, and download a book, but it only download to the "downloads" folder. I must manually go into the downloads folder and move it to the Kindle/books folder.

I cannot change the default location for downloads either using the Chrome or FireFox app.

Even if I could change the default downloads folder, I don't want all my downloads to go to my Kindle. Some downloads I want elsewhere.

No, the best option is to email it to my kindle email, then the Kindle app will sync it.

Of course I can do that from the Calibre program, but if I am away and want a book, I do not have access to the Calibre program.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast

I am leaning toward writing a plug in for the content server, but I think the learning curve would be steep.

I am getting pretty good at writing Python programs. Maybe I will give it a try some day.

Mark.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I've seem posts where people describe having their ebooks in a cloud and downloading them to their devices.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast

I was just wondering if this topic has been revisited recently.

My father in law is getting pretty old, and lives in another state.

I have given him access to my books collection via the web (using Calibre Content Server).

He can really only handle the old style Paper White devices, (most of the new ones are too heavy for him to hold for a long time.)

If he could open my content then click "email the book" then selected his kindle address, Amazon would take care of the rest.

Downloading the book to a folder and side loading it, or installing Calibre proper would be way over his head.

I really love Calibre, and the content server. I think it is one of the most useful tools I have.

Thank you so much Kovid for this program.

Mark.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:15 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The paperwhite has a browser he can use to download books directly onto the kindle.