Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #466
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Look at the Library Codes plugin.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #467
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Look at the Library Codes plugin.
Look at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidJnsn View Post
. . .
I know that the Library Codes plugin gets LCC and DDC data, but sometimes . . .
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 10:45 PM   #468
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to miss that line.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #469
xochiluvr
xochiluvr began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Calibre/plugin question: can this plugin be used to fix errors in other calibre fields? I seem to have a lot of ebooks that were imported with the author and book title fields switched.
xochiluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:36 PM   #470
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochiluvr View Post
Calibre/plugin question: can this plugin be used to fix errors in other calibre fields? I seem to have a lot of ebooks that were imported with the author and book title fields switched.
This plugin is for finding the ISBN of an eBook.

Where do you get these eBooks where the author and title are switched?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2023, 05:53 PM   #471
xochiluvr
xochiluvr began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
I think it's a matter of importing my dad's old ebooks that have been converted across formats through the years, from who knows where back in the 90's. So I may have a book titled "Isaac Asimov" authored by "Foundation and Earth" or I may have the correct title but the author name is "Asimov, Isaac"
xochiluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #472
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochiluvr View Post
I think it's a matter of importing my dad's old ebooks that have been converted across formats through the years, from who knows where back in the 90's. So I may have a book titled "Isaac Asimov" authored by "Foundation and Earth" or I may have the correct title but the author name is "Asimov, Isaac"
2 problems, different corrections methods.
Title<>Author
Select all with this issue: tap 'E' Metadata edit (bulk mode: tick the box to swap them:OK

Authors with commas:
Use the Quality check plugin: Fix section to flip author order of the ones that are wrong.
Some folk like Ln, Fn
Some want Fn Ln
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 01:49 AM   #473
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I came across a somewhat amusing false-positive:

I was processing metadata for Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten. There's an ISBN (9781982111700) listed on the Kobo store page but that's not anywhere in the book itself see the edit.

However, Extract ISBN did detect one of these (from 10% and 29% in):

Quote:
“48789-20114-AJ,” Avery mumbled.
Quote:
“48789-20114-AJ,” she said, pulling a COM-pad from the purse, and reading from its screen. “That is your serial number, correct?”
Log:
Spoiler:

Code:
Starting job: Extract ISBN for 1 books 
=================================================== 
Title:  Halo: Contact Harvest 
Format: EPUB 
Path:   D:\Documents\My Books\Joseph Staten\Halo_ Contact Harvest (8304)\Halo_ Contact Harvest - Joseph Staten.epub 
--------------------------------------------------- 
  Scanning first 10, then last 5, then remaining 24 files 
      Invalid ISBN match: -000987111 
      Invalid ISBN match: -000614236 
      Invalid ISBN match: -16523.14.82 
      Valid ISBN10: 4878920114 
  Scan time: 1.81 secs 
  The isbn was found in 1.81 secs 
  New ISBN extracted of: 4878920114 
=================================================== 
Scan complete, with 0 failures

This coincidentally ends up being a valid ISBN-10 for what seems to be some kind of comic/manga which is definitely not related to my sci-fi action-game expanded universe novel.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about this (or whether anything should be done). I'm willing to send a copy of the book if you'd like to test further though.

EDIT: To make things even weirder, I just found the real ISBN was in the book, the last line of the book. It wasn't detected though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-30 19_51_57-HALO_ Contact Harvest [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	38
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	204022  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-30-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:53 PM   #474
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@ownedbycats - yup nothing I can do about that sort of situation - if it is a 'valid' ISBN number then as I have said dozens of times in this thread there is no way for the plugin to divine whether it is a false positive.

As for why it didnt find the valid one at the end of the book - the plugin first looks at the front, and if it finds a valid ISBN then it will stop scanning rather than going on to look at the back of the book. After all what is the point - it cannot determine which of the two are "more likely" to be "correct" without building in a ton more complexity so it just takes the first valid one it finds.

It's a tool that "most" of the time gives a quick win for people as a starting point, but the programming effort to make it slightly more reliable is way too much given it can never be cast iron guaranteed to be 100% correct with what it comes up with. Blame the publishers.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:08 AM   #475
The Holy
The Holy began at the beginning.

The plugin won't extract an ISBN from any PDF I have and simply results in “ISBN not found”, but the description says it checks them too, which makes me think I'm missing something. None of the PDFs are scanned, so what's wrong?
The Holy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:26 AM   #476
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Nothing, doesn’t work on Windows.

If you had read back a few pages, you would have found a workaround, but it has other disadvantages.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #477
The Holy

What disadvantages would that be?
Old 12-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #478
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Holy View Post
What disadvantages would that be?
False Positive.
ISBN are patterns, so 13 digits is not different than any other 13 digits without other checks, Even with those, a false one can pass

You might do some research and see how they are assigned and may be printed. OH! Groupings for one
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:13 PM   #479
The Holy

I think he meant there are disadvantages that come with replacing the pdfinfo.exe included in calibre, so I'm wondering what those are. False positives are rarely an issue for me with this plugin.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #480
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
As I wrote a few pages ago Count Pages doesn’t work with the replacement.
It looks like there’s another workaround for this but never tried.

For me Count Pages is more important than getting ISBN for PDFs.
In PDFs there are almost always more than one ISBN and getting the right one is a lottery

Last edited by Wiggo; 12-02-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote