Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
johnmont
johnmont
johnmont began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC & Sony PRS505
Smile Adobe ADE or Sony Reader?

Hi, I am new to e readers and will soon become the owner of my firsr, a Sony PRS-505.
I have loaded ADE and Sony Reader onto my Windows 7 PC, in expectation of it's arrival.
Which is the better bet for controlling the content on my 505?
Your advice will be most wellcome.
Regards
johnmont
johnmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
IHO a better program to control your content is Calibre. It does everything the Sony software does and more, such as converting the format of eBooks, and downloading news content.

ADE is not so good at controlling content, but you will still need it. ADE is necessary for DRM's eBooks - Sony's Software is not. Although Sony Library has its supporters, I think it's really only good for shopping at the Sony store.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Consider this another vote for Calibre for your primary manager, with ADE secondary for when you want drm stuff.

I've never installed the Sony reader software: you need it to buy books in the Sony store (generally reported to have very poor customer service), being in Australia I've never bothered with them.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
johnmont
johnmont

Thanks for advice

hi, Many thanks for advice. Will give Calibre a go.
regards
johnmont
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
You could try Sony's Reader Library as well.

I like getting the free Sony ebooks every month, and having auto-integration with ADE for public library ebooks (you don't know ADE is there, it just downloads into Reader Library, and it's easy to return library ebooks early). I also use Calibre, for magazines and newspapers, and conversions. Two library apps, managing different types of content. Works for me, may not work for you.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
johnmont
johnmont

Sony Reader

Hi jj2me, thanks for the advice. If I lived in the US, I think the Sony Reader would be a viable option, but here in Scotland we do not have Public Libraries that lend eBooks. I have looked into the possibility of joining a US lending library, to be able to borrow, but the lack of a US address seems to make this impossible.
regards
johnmont
Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Several non US people in another thread said they'd managed to join the Library of Philadelphia, albeit for a US$45 fee. I've not yet gotten around to it myself, but if you want to take a look it's here:

http://www.freelibrary.org/
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
thijsvk
thijsvk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-T1
Calibre rules!!!
Forget all the others
thijsvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I used the Sony software for about 2 days when I first got my 505, then I discovered Calibre and have used that ever since to organise my ebooks.

ADE has to be there on my PC just to manage the download of DRM-protected books. Funnily enough, the DRM seems to magically "disappear" as the text are transferred from 'My Digital Editions' over to the M drive - all the title which Calibre manages are therefore DRM-free.

Regardless of what you do with DRM, I don't think you could do better than use Calibre for controlling the content.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote