Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Kobo Customer Service--**** you!

So, I go to turn on my Aura HD this morning. I go to the main screen...but the right 1/3 is still taken up by a frozen image of the last book I was reading. Did every sort of reset, no luck. This is how it looks when it's powered off:

Call up Kobo Customer Care, tell them the situation, request warranty repair/replacement. They ask me to send pictures of front, back, and receipt. I do so, and get the reply (via phone call and email) that "the curved lines are a clear indicator of physical damage, which is not covered by our warranty". Escalate it, get the same reply.

This reader was never physically damaged in any way. BEWARE OF KOBO. They're using a fake claim of physical damage--and you can see from the picture the screen isn't damaged in any way--to avoid honoring their warranty.
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes Kobo customer service sucks, but if you look at the bottom right part of the screen you can see angled lines where it's obvious the glass substrate is broken. There are all kinds of threads here and anywhere else you find info on e-ink that the substrate is the weak link on all eink readers (there are a few teardown pics on mobileread here that will show you what it looks like -- it's a near paper thin sheet of glass). Having said all that, it usually isn't harsh mistreatment of the device that causes this (although if you drop something hard on the screen it could), but twisting of the housing that stresses the screen and leads to it breaking. And no, having it in a case won't prevent this type of damage unless it is hard cover enough to not flex. Amazon is a much bigger company so they seem to often cover this type of damage strictly for customer relations even though technically it wouldn't fall under their warranty either.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
It pains me to see such a fine device so critically wounded.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'm sorry, but they're correct. The glass substrate is cracked.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
That picture shows a definite broken screen, I know I've broken a Kobo, Kobo Touch and a Glo. They screens all looked like that after being broken. Physical abuse of any sort is not a warranty issue. It doesn't take much to break the glass substrate either.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

It was sitting on a shelf--in its case, nothing on top of it, nothing on the sides of it. It wasn't dropped, abused, folded, spindled, or mutilated.

My wife and I are on limited incomes--I can't afford to eat a $200 investment.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm sorry, but they're correct. The glass substrate is cracked.
Agreed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Major General
Zealot

If it is then it freaking self-destructed. Read what I said above. It was on a shelf, in it's case, not touched in any way, nothing on top of it or dropped on it. It was working three days ago. Perfectly. Turned it on this morning, and got this.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
It was sitting on a shelf--in its case, nothing on top of it, nothing on the sides of it. It wasn't dropped, abused, folded, spindled, or mutilated.
I see this exact statement quite often. The problem is that glass has a tendency to not break at the moment that it is stressed, but to sit and fester with a tiny little imperfection, then due to a slight provocation (such as a change in temperature overnight) completely let go. The damage may have been an unfortunate corner drop a month ago...

You may have seen it on car windshields... a tiny rock ding in the corner for many months, then one night when the temperature changes, bam, major crack across the entire window.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Major General
Zealot

It's never been dropped, never leaves the house. This unit suffered NO abuse or physical damage. If Kobo thinks they're going to **** me over they have another think coming.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Buber
Buber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Swearing will get you nowhere. Maybe it was your cat, or your cousins little son (daugher) which dropped it , and put it back - there can be many reasons. But the result is the same - physically broken screen. Check on ebay - screens fro kindle are to be had for ~40$ and changing them is not a big deal. I did not looked for Aura HD screen though, and it is bigger. Still, it wil be cheaper than a device.
Buber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Calm down; we all know you are upset but seriously; that screen DOES show sign of physical damage.

Manufacturing defects show up totally different to that on the device.

Cussing and swearing within a forum and at Kobo does nothing at all to help you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I am not one to ignore Kobo's shortcomings, but in this case it is obviously a physically damaged screen. Perhaps, they are using a weaker sheet of glass than they (e-Ink) should for this device, I certainly hope not as I have two. It is my understanding that the screen, and light are assembled as a module, by e-Ink, before Kobo's assembly takes place. Not what you want to hear, but the device may be more fragile than we would expect.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Sorry to hear about your device. You don't have any kids who might have dropped it accidentally do you? Were you reading the reader before you put it on the shelf? What I mean to say is, can you confirm that the reader was physically fine before you put it away or was it sitting in your bag, or maybe on the couch where someone might have half sat on it or something like that? We do feel for you.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By any chance, had you tried changing the SD card in it to being a larger one?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote