Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
kevingart
kevingart began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
ebook production for Galaxy Note

perhaps someone can help?

Im creating an ebook which i want to optimize for viewing on android phones and kindle

Have a kindle for testing - Recently bought a Galaxy Note for the android testing. My png test file is 1280x 960 - same resolution as the Note

I put together the pages - each page of the book is an image png file - in a htlm editor, then I take the html file into Calibre to convert to an epub

the epub is loaded onto my G.Note and im using the ebook reader Aldiko for viewing. Aldiko is available at Google Play, free

Surprise. My file takes only about one quarter of the galaxy note screen.

Apart from this, the ebook looks like its going to work.

So how do i get it to occupy full screen? There are no settings in Aldiko that will help - ive looked ?

be pleased is someone could help -
thanks
kevingart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Calbre is great for converting properly formatted ebooks, but you're usually better off using Sigil for creating ebooks. Also, unless your ebook is a graphic novel, it's a bad idea to create an ebook that contains only images. If you're indeed working on a graphic novel, you'll need to create a fixed layout ebook.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingart View Post
So how do i get it to occupy full screen?
One thing you could look at is the Calibre settings you used when converting html (zip) to epub. In particular try setting Convert - Page Setup - Output profile to 'Tablet'.

Most (all???) the other output profiles scale down images to fit the screen-size of the device specified in the selected 'Output profile'. I think 'Tablet' leaves the image size as-is.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
kevingart
kevingart began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Seems I've solved it - now have it working on my Galaxy Note
already had it working on Kindle

was the ebook readers - with some i didn't even see an image .
Read somewhere that the Mantano reader is the best and reliable.

downloaded the free one - its working perfectly
this after trying several others

Also used Open Office and output in PDF to create a pdf file which is also working well on the Note, using Mantano or the free Adode pdf reader -

In the pdf dept the Adobe reader has the edge on Mantano imho - but only slightly

Last edited by kevingart; 05-11-2012 at 02:12 AM.
kevingart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook production, galaxy note