Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
kasvad
kasvad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Beginners mistake?

I have tried to create my first e-book in ePub using Sigil.

First I tried with a very simple txt-file, using the step-by-step tutorial.

No problem. I can import the ePub-file in Adobe Digital Editions and open it.

Then I tried some larger files, with additional formatting, and created a table of contents.
The file is validated ok in Sigil.
But Adobe Digital Editions rejects it. There are minor issues, but the issues aren't showed.
I also tried to convert it into Mobi, but that didn't work either.

So what's wrong?

I suspect that it's some pretty obvious beginners mistake. But what?!

Help will be greatly appreciated
kasvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably the text files in the epub are too big (should be max around 260 kb each), I don't think Sigils validation checks for this.

Also, you can try this for more errorchecking:

http://www.pagina-online.de/software/epub-checker/

- it's an offline java GUI for the "official" epub-check tools, and partly checks for some other things than Sigil.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
http://www.pagina-online.de/software/epub-checker/
- it's an offline java GUI for the "official" epub-check tools, and partly checks for some other things than Sigil.
Is this actually something more than a gui for epubcheck ? They don't write anything about addons to epubcheck, a spellcheck in css would be nice...

To run epubcheck, i made a simple alternative which somebody maybe find reasonable.
Spoiler:
@echo off
set Pfad="C:\<Pfad>"

echo . >Check.log
FOR /R %Pfad% %%i IN (*.epub) DO (
echo %%i>> Check.log
echo %%i
java -jar epubcheck-3.0b4.jar "%%i" 2>> Check.log
echo . >> Check.log
)

call notepad Check.log

Its just a *.cmd which checks all the books in the Path given in the second line. It should be dropped in the directory, where epubcheck is installed.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Probably the text files in the epub are too big (should be max around 260 kb each), I don't think Sigils validation checks for this.
This is not part of the EPUB spec but a limitation of one specific reading system.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
This is not part of the EPUB spec but a limitation of one specific reading system.
I know, it was some older Sony-device, methinks. But ADE (on my Windows PC, that is) invariably complains at it.

Regards,

Kim
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know, it was some older Sony-device, methinks. But ADE (on my Windows PC, that is) invariably complains at it.
Now I'm really a bit puzzled. What ADE you are talking about ? I fed my ADE with a really large epub (largest html within has 1.8Meg), there were no complains, it just shows the file properly. If i ask for "file info", yes there was a small anotation, that "a resource" is too large.....

Btw. Pagina is probably nothing else than a shell around epubcheck. I gave it a short test on my "TrialAnyTrash"-laptop....

@kasvad:
Quote:
So what's wrong?

I suspect that it's some pretty obvious beginners mistake. But what?!
I really don't know anything about "obvious beginners mistakes", actually it can be everything.

Is there any message which states more than "no way !"
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
If i ask for "file info", yes there was a small anotation, that "a resource" is too large.....
Exactly.

Regards,

Kim
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Exactly.

Regards,

Kim
Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Now I'm really a bit puzzled. What ADE you are talking about ? I fed my ADE with a really large epub (largest html within has 1.8Meg), there were no complains, it just shows the file properly. If i ask for "file info", yes there was a small anotation, that "a resource" is too large.....!"
It is mot the EPUB total size, but any file (sections as shown in the book browser) contained inside.
I recently created a 'Catalog' in Calibre where the:
EPUB Catalog is 45M
The TOC.NCX is just under 1M
The content.opf is 750K
none of the 3400 images are over 18K
the biggest 'page' is 29K packed, 258K unpacked (just under 260K)

The catalog bombs out my PEz above a certain 'Authors beginning with'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is mot the EPUB total size, but any file (sections as shown in the book browser) contained inside.
Well that's really huge. But total filesize and filesize of html/pictures should actually be no problem for Ade, if you just want to read the book.

I guess kasvad actually wants to apply DRM, and then those minor faults count in...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
kasvad
kasvad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all, thanks for the responses

My file was actually very small (<50 Kb).
And no, DRM wasn't the plan.

I'll try the error checking tool mentioned.
kasvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasvad View Post
My file was actually very small (<50 Kb)
Is that the whole epub, because they're packed files, the unpacked files could be >280Kb, especially if the epub is only text - no images
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote