Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Nigovic
Nigovic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question make kindle firmware use a proxy server

is there any means by which I could make the kindle firmware use a proxy server instead of directly connecting to internet. I'm a newbie in Linux, I searched for setting a proxy to be used by linux but I wanted to find out if anybody has a confirmed way of making the firmware (java app) use the proxy.

Last edited by Nigovic; 08-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Nigovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Any solution for this?

One option I can think on a K3 non-3G Kindle would be to re-define /opt/amazon/ebook/config/ServerConfig.conf:url.fints= but then you have the problem of convincing the Kindle that you are on 3G instead of WiFi so that the setting actually takes effect. Does anyone have suggestion?
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Ok I did some digging... and it really seems there are NO provisions to enable a wifi proxy anywhere in the system. I spent a lot of time with ServerConfig.conf, trying to "brute-force" any sort of proxy directive that would effect wifi, to no avail. Ultimately I started picking apart the JARs, and found where I think the proxy parsing happens:

/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-impl.jar, specifically com/amazon/ebook/framework/impl/device/h.class. Reviewing strings output shows all the obvious parameters from ServerConfig.conf... but really no wifi.proxy, *.proxy, proxy... anything... take effect.

So the only "simple" option would be to trick the Kindle into believing it is on 3G, which I have not yet figured out how to do.

Another option could be to re-compile the kernel (or just build the NAT modules) with "transparent proxy" support, redirect outgoing port 80 into a local proxy (privoxy or something like that) that can be configured for a parent proxy. Maybe in my free time... I would like my Kindle to be a better router...
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
another option might be to LD_PRELOAD a library that does this in userland, like tsocks. You would need to run the framework via tsocks then.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, proxy