Device: none
Ipad Glare issues

Hi,

I still haven't gotten the Ipad because I live in another country. I saw
in youtube the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJBAVWmh0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7istlKA1jDk

The glare is such that you can see your faces in the glass surface of
the Ipad. Doesn't the glare bother you at all when reading pdfs??
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I didn't see my face any when playing around with my girlfriend's ipad (maybe when it was off, but not while using it).

The glare can be annoying if you're sitting under a bright ceiling light, next to a bright lamp etc. I did move a couple times or hold it at a certain angle etc. And I'm sure it's bad in sunlight (probably ok in good shade)--moot for me as I hate sitting in the sun and doing anything.

But in all, the glare didn't bother me enough that it would factor into my decision on whether to get one or not. But there is some glare and it could be an issue for people who always keep lighting bright (I keep my place on the dim side) and definitely for those wanting to use it outdoors a lot etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that particular iPad was running the grooming app. The screen acts as a mirror so you can put on lipstick, comb your hair, etc
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Inside the glare hasn't been much of an issue. Outside -- yeah...I see glare. In shade, though I see glare, it's still a very good reading experience. In full sun? When I first tried it was difficult to read in full sun. But that's before I learned that the iPad is only at half brightness by default. I look forward to trying full sun with the iPad cranked up.

Keep in mind that it's a lot easier to change positions and adjust with an iPad than your computer monitor.

I've read for hours on my iPad and I find the weight is the biggest draw back. The screen is beautiful and very nice for reading -- if reading in full sun isn't your primary way of reading.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
There are plenty of screen films to protect and de-glossify the screen. Check www.bestskinsever.com or google iPad screen protector. I've even seen the 3M privacy film available which cuts down the IPS LCD's viewing angle to direct-on only.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Yeah it's there no joke. I couldn't see at all outside around noon (though I didn't try turning up the brightness). But it's not really a problem, i mean outside use isn't important to me.

And yeah, generally indoor use just make sure you're not reading with a light behind you.

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 04-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
Hi,

I still haven't gotten the Ipad because I live in another country. I saw
in youtube the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJBAVWmh0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7istlKA1jDk

The glare is such that you can see your faces in the glass surface of
the Ipad. Doesn't the glare bother you at all when reading pdfs??
Reading PDFs is a bother when reading PDFs.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I am writing this outside on my iPad. I am in partial shade, and after I turned up the brightness a bit there is really no problem. If I stop and purposely "look", then I notice reflections. But not when I am just using it.

In direct sunlight it is readable, but not really practical for more than a few minutes..... At least for me.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have to say the glare is not great. The bigger issue for me with the shiny screen is that it looks like a 5 year old eating french fries has been intentionally putting fingerprints on it. I have an anti glare screen protector on my iPhone for the exact same reason and the one for my ipad is on it's way. Other than that it is a delight. I love it love it love it. I read in the dark usually and I am so glad to have a backlit device.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote