Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #646
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
Yawn so it's just one giant iphone meh, what about writing or drawing on it. How about a voice recorder and camera. It's not worth buying it has nothing that stands out. I thought you at least would be able to write on it. I'm gonna wait for the Microsoft Courier to come out at least you can write on it.
The emotional excitement wore off. Initially thought I would get the 2nd generation one but I've changed my mind. There's nothing magical or revolutionary about the iPad. If it had handwriting recognition or at least allow for handwritten annotations then it would be worthy of consideration for a netbook alternative. I'll keep waiting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #647
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It has handwriting recognition.

http://www.phatware.com/index.php?q=...tails/writepad

There are also a variety of annotation and ink tools.

http://www.catalystwo.com/Webiste/iPhone_Apps.html

Last edited by nekokami; 02-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #648
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It has handwriting recognition.

http://www.phatware.com/index.php?q=...tails/writepad

There are also a variety of annotation and ink tools.

http://www.catalystwo.com/Webiste/iPhone_Apps.html
I appreciate the response. I'm referring to built-in tools, not third-party stuff.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #649
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilron View Post
so then if i buy an e-book from amazon for $10, why should amazon get $7 and the author and publisher get only $3? that's completely backwards.
I think you're confused.

Currently, Amazon pay 50% of the hardback price for ebooks.
Macmillan are forcing them to sell at a set price, with a 30% cut of that price going to Amazon

Note that the amount of cash going to the writer is going to *decrease*.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #650
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There's nothing magical or revolutionary about the iPad.
Check out http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts

Read about popovers.

I started off being underwhelmed by the Pad. I thought of it as a scaled up Touch. But I'm beginning to see what DaringFireball says: the Touch is a minaturized, stripped down Pad.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #651
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilron View Post
wait a sec, so you're siding with amazon and their monopolistic tactics instead of authors and publishers? no, i think macmillian's stance against amazon is a very good thing and what apple has done is also a very good thing. apple is giving publishers a fair shake and a fair cut of profit from the sale of e-books which is something amazon pretty much never did. they have been undercutting everyone with the hopes of driving everyone else out of the market, at which point they would then drive back up prices. all the while they've been screwing publishers and authors. this is why i definitely won't buy a kindle. i like to save a few bucks here and there just like the next guy, but what i care about are books and books are created by authors and publishers, not amazon. so then if i buy an e-book from amazon for $10, why should amazon get $7 and the author and publisher get only $3? that's completely backwards.

at this point, the more publishers that do JUST like macmillian and turn their back on amazon, the better.
Ive seen you post this stuff in other threads. I don't know where you are getting your information but its wrong. I am pretty sure someone yesterday explained to you that what you were posting was wrong as well. I am not sure if you are intentionally doing it or if you just keep getting misinformed.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #652
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I appreciate the response. I'm referring to built-in tools, not third-party stuff.
and "built-in" tools will be better than 3rd party in what way?

do you use only software supplied by apple (if on a mac) or microsoft (if on windows) and no 3rd party apps?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #653
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
OS UI integration and cost, for two...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #654
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
any developer who follows apple's guidelines will have proper UI integration. as for cost, you don't think apple passes that on to you? the iwork applications are all $10 each. apple doesn't develop and give away anything for free.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #655
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
any developer who follows apple's guidelines will have proper UI integration. as for cost, you don't think apple passes that on to you? the iwork applications are all $10 each. apple doesn't develop and give away anything for free.
Actually on this your wrong.

If i buy a handwriting app, it will not let me use handwriting in the Email software or in safari or in iWork, I would have to use the keyboard.

Personally I hate writing with a stylus but if it is very important to someone then whilst an app would work in the app it wouldnt give the iPad true handwriting recognition.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #656
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

do you use only software supplied by apple (if on a mac) or microsoft (if on windows) and no 3rd party apps?
Well I did use the handwriting ability/recognition of Windows XP Tablet PC edition. What's wrong with wanting something that's part of the OS? Heck, if that's the prevailing attitude, what's that point of offering any applications if there's 3rd party stuff. Also, that means I have to buy a specific type of stylus in addition to searching for a 3rd party app that meets my needs.

Edit: Who said anything about built-in tools being better than 3rd party stuff? What specific app allows me to do handwritten annotation within any document or application?

Last edited by SCION; 02-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #657
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Check out http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts

Read about popovers.

I started off being underwhelmed by the Pad. I thought of it as a scaled up Touch. But I'm beginning to see what DaringFireball says: the Touch is a minaturized, stripped down Pad.
I appreciate the link. It has broadened my perspective. I was gun ho on getting a 2nd generation iPad as a netbook alternative. It's just that my "desire" for handwritten annotation "within documents" is still here.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #658
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
My iPad mini has a GPS, a camera, a phone, and can fit in my pocket. I don't need a stripped down, harder-to-carry iPad.
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #659
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:

Well for something like handwriting, I suspect a device built around use with a stylus would have better working hand writing (more precise and accurate for someone with small, sloppy writing like me) and more widespread across all programs.

Vs. a finger touch tablet where you have to buy a special stylus separately and buy third party apps.

If a capacitive stylus works well for people with small and sloppy writing and there's apps that let me write on PDFs, books, word documents and everything else I mark up with pen and paper currently I'd consider one. I'm just skeptical that will happen vs. waiting for a tablet with a touch screen built for handwriting specifically and a suite of software designed to take full advantage of it.

As other's noted any 3rd party app would probably only allow handwriting within the app, so it would be more limited than having it built in and able to use across all the relevant programs where I'd want to mark stuff up.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #660
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
If a capacitive stylus works well for people with small and sloppy writing and there's apps that let me write on PDFs, books, word documents and everything else I mark up with pen and paper currently I'd consider one. I'm just skeptical that will happen vs. waiting for a tablet with a touch screen built for handwriting specifically and a suite of software designed to take full advantage of it.