Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Where is the option link to transfer the books?
I believe it's automatic unless you opt out, and that link is in your account dashboard.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Here is a link to the Sony FAQ's about the transfer:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45014
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I believe it's automatic unless you opt out, and that link is in your account dashboard.

Thank you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
sweetpeamcd
sweetpeamcd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (also have Reader library from Sony eReader)
I haven't used my Sony reader in years because it apparently had a major malfunction and the screen was frozen. (Was sick about it, especially knowing that the iPad came out a month or so after I spend $$$$ on the thing and was something I would have used more.) Finally gave in and threw it in the trash a few months ago. I still have all the ebooks (mostly epub) in the Reader Library. I just downloaded Calibre, went to add books, but it's not finding the 64 epubs I have in the Reader Library. Went to Finder, they're not showing up. Go to the Reader Library, there they are. Suggestions?
sweetpeamcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #20
CrystalsQuest
CrystalsQuest began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook Touch
If you're using calibre, you just need to point it to where Sony has stored the books. Add books (pick the one to add from directories, including subdirectories, multiple books), then go to the folder Sony stores it in. Under Windows 7 you're looking at documents/my books/reader. Not sure where it is under other OS's.

I had a bookworld membership that migrated to Kobo last year. Most people were set up no problems, but because I had accounts with both already and they were both linked to the same email it didn't go through automatically. A single support ticket fixed the issue (to bookworld) so you may want to open a ticket with Sony beforehand giving your Kobo login email (NOT the password, of course). Or, you could try pre-empting it by contacting kobo support. They've always been great, although a little slow to reply at times, in any issues I've had.

I love both Calibre and Kobo. Never use Sony Reader except to download DRM books in the first instance, after which I pull them into Calibre. In Calibre, too, you can search for a book you're looking for and it pulls it up in a whole range of sites, so you can compare prices and get the best deal. I'm always using that feature.
CrystalsQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
So I just received my email with the link about the switch to Kobo.

And the instructions basically say create a Kobo account and then I'll be told which ebooks will migrate. And the FAQs have already said magazine subscriptions won't transfer (though nothing about already delivered magazines AFAICT.)

So, with 281 books and 44 magazines on my machine, an already weak battery and doubts about whether I'll buy a replacement reader, and no guidance as to if those that don't migrate will remain available on my 650 and PC, I'd say that is a major reason to not want to upgrade today. I'll wait to see what others report about any books which don't transfer.

Those are my reasons for not transferring at the moment. (Not saying I won't, only that I'm not eager to.)

I would give Sony an F minus for how they've handled the transition so far, although that does not surprise me and I should have known better after having had MiniDiscs and later a rather expensive MP3 player they never wrote a Windows 7 driver for. (BTW Sony, last time you've ever gotten me on a proprietary technology of yours.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Well, the automatic thingy worked pretty good, IMO. Received an update to Reader for PC today, it installed, kept all my books. Only change was in upper l/hand corner. Instead of "Reader Store" it now says, "Kobo Store" and takes you directly to Kobo. Inventory of books remain the same, have borrowed and returned books to local library, so don't see the big deal, myself. Nothing has changed except not able to purchase ebooks from Sony, but Kobo is just another source. Think they did a good transition job, real smooth.
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I did transfer to Kobo, and although I had $49 credit on my account (I checked that recently before the transition), at the transition it stated that $0.00 credit was transferred. Not really what I expected! I reported it immediately, but no response yet on this matter. I also just mailed Kobo, maybe they will care to help.
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
94 of 96 books transferred. I didn't have any unused credit at Sony.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Still waiting for my email to switch. Started up PC reader software and it did an update and now shows Kobo bookstore. I registered and bought a couple of books, just to try it out and went to transfer them to my 505 through file explorer, when Kobe began syncing with the 505. Which was a surprise because the 505 was not listed as a supported reader.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post
I did transfer to Kobo, and although I had $49 credit on my account (I checked that recently before the transition), at the transition it stated that $0.00 credit was transferred. Not really what I expected! I reported it immediately, but no response yet on this matter. I also just mailed Kobo, maybe they will care to help.
I initially had the same issue - however after a couple mail messages back and forth, Kobo Customer Service asked me to send them a screen print of my Sony account page, showing the credit due amount. Once I sent them that, the credit (in US $) turned up on my Kobo account. Have already tested it out on buying a book priced in € and it seems to work just fine. (Not sure what exchange rate they're using, but it seems to be in the ballpark.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #27
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kobo customer service also rectified the situation for me, so great service from Kobo!
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #28
drdtyc
drdtyc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
I'll wait to see what others report about any books which don't transfer.
Books that are not transferred still stay with my Sony Reader Account.
I can download those non-transferred ebooks to my PC while my Sony Reader Account is still up and running, until end of May 2014, I think.
drdtyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #29
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdtyc View Post
Books that are not transferred still stay with my Sony Reader Account.
I can download those non-transferred ebooks to my PC while my Sony Reader Account is still up and running, until end of May 2014, I think.

According to the Sony website,

Quote:
you can download eBooks you previously purchased at Reader Store until April 30, 2014.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote