Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #136
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
From what I read, in the UK Amazon's price-slashing tactics are powered by tax-evasion. Is it the same in the USA? And does B&N pay tax?

A quick google suggests that B&N do not evade tax like Amazon. For shame.
Tax-avoiding, not tax-evading.
One is legal (and sensible), the other is not.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #137
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
That's a very right-wing comment.
Here is a story from that bastion of liberal pillow talk, NPR, speaking about tax policy.*

*Don't assume I'm a right-winger from this sentence. It's worded that way precisely because of the idiotic sentiment that Rizla expressed.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #138
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Here is a story from that bastion of liberal pillow talk, NPR, speaking about tax policy.*

*Don't assume I'm a right-winger from this sentence. It's worded that way precisely because of the idiotic sentiment that Rizla expressed.
NPR is a very pro-corporate outlet.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #139
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
NPR is a very pro-corporate outlet.
Compared to what?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #140
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Discussion of tax rates and how left or right wing NPR is certain belong in the P&R forum, not here.

Any further such posts in this thread will be deleted without notice.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #141
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Discussion of tax rates and how left or right wing NPR is certain belong in the P&R forum, not here.

Any further such posts in this thread will be deleted without notice.
What's the P&R forum?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #142
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
What's the P&R forum?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103942
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #143
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Politics and Religion
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #144
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the nook side of things, video for movies and tv is available for rental. Not sure without offering hulu, netflix, amazon monthly type plan how nook video would be able to compete.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #145
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
On the nook side of things, video for movies and tv is available for rental.
Does it work now? When I tried it while doing my review for the HD+ I tried to buy a video and it wouldn't work. I do see that all of my UltraViolet movies now show up in my library on the HD+, although many are marked as unavailable.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #146
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does it work now? When I tried it while doing my review for the HD+ I tried to buy a video and it wouldn't work. I do see that all of my UltraViolet movies now show up in my library on the HD+, although many are marked as unavailable.
I'm not entirely sure about nook video as I just play with the demos on display at the stores. I see you can buy or rent but I never tried to do it.

For UV, I just downloaded the flixster app to one of the demos and logged in and saw my movies. They all played but I only have 5.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #147
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For UV, I just downloaded the flixster app to one of the demos and logged in and saw my movies. They all played but I only have 5.
Yeah, but Flixter is SD only and the movies look like crap on the HD+
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #148
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, but Flixter is SD only and the movies look like crap on the HD+
I thought it depended on the movie and how you redeem it. I thought sure all mine showed HDX when I redeemed them.

I did not know the Flixster app limited resolution playback. And vudu is not available for mobile playback last time I checked with them. I did not try what the uv interface for the nook is on the device. My workaround day one in the store was to use flixster. Even the store rep was surprised that worked as she was hung up with the nook interface which was not working yet.

Last edited by robertc88; 01-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #149
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I thought it depended on the movie and how you redeem it. I thought sure all mine showed HDX when I redeemed them.

I did not know the Flixster app limited resolution playback. And vudu is not available for mobile playback last time I checked with them. I did not try what the uv interface for the nook is on the device. My workaround day one in the store was to use flixster. Even the store rep was surprised that worked as she was hung up with the nook interface which was not working yet.
Vudu has an Android app now (just came out), but it only allows SD (480p) too.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #150
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Vudu has an Android app now (just came out), but it only allows SD (480p) too.
So maybe only the nook interface is the way to get hd uv playback I guess. And I have to check if the nook video is up and running as well.