Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The first one. Mysterious Affair at Styles.

I liked the oblivious dimness of the narrator, Hastings, but felt the actual mystery was fairly ludicrous.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hastings was a marvelous invention - especially when he narrated the mystery - his mis-interpretations and tendency to completely ignore the important stuff could mislead readers into following his train of thought, allowing Christie to strew clues about which Hastings/gullible reader would blissfully ignore.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #33
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I love her books, but, I'd like to see Harper Collins drop the prices a bit. Right now they're $7.99 plus 12% tax, so $8.95 each and I can't use a discount code . I would probably buy them all if I could use discount codes.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

I liked the oblivious dimness of the narrator, Hastings, but felt the actual mystery was fairly ludicrous.
I think we have to show a little charity to Ms. Christie with that one as it was her 1st book and the 1st book of any author isn't likely to be as good as later ones. Though I have to say I just generally like her characters and their adventures.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

I agree that's probably not her best book but still fun to read.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I agree that's probably not her best book but still fun to read.
And it is free here at MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #37
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Life is full of imperfect information and isn't fair. Agatha Christie taught me not to believe everything I read and to look for hidden motives. Great life lessons.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I love her books, but, I'd like to see Harper Collins drop the prices a bit. Right now they're $7.99 plus 12% tax, so $8.95 each and I can't use a discount code . I would probably buy them all if I could use discount codes.
I'm very glad that I bought all that were available (nearly 80) through fictionwise when they had them on an 75% rebate sale. And, of course, that was 75% off about $4, not $8!

I've read 40 of them so far (in publication order), and there's been only one stinker. (The Big Four - perhaps worth reading just to see how badly an author can get things wrong. And this was published immediately after Ackroyd!)

I do think that publishers (& author's estates) are missing out on a lot of money. I suspect that many more people would be willing to spend $99 for a bundle of all 80 of her detective novels than will ever get to spending $99 on novels at $8 each.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I do think that publishers (& author's estates) are missing out on a lot of money. I suspect that many more people would be willing to spend $99 for a bundle of all 80 of her detective novels than will ever get to spending $99 on novels at $8 each.
Oh, absolutely. And also offer an alternative of breaking them down into, say, 4 bundles of 20 books apiece for $30. That way people would get a good bargain for a smaller bundle, and an even better bargain for the complete bundle.

It really is amazing that apparently no creative marketing is being done for the backlists of prolific writers.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #40
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Pdurrant -- I think Christie shared your opinion.

"In 1942, Christie wrote to her agent asking him to keep a manuscript in reserve and stated 'I have been, once, in a position where I wanted to write just for the sake of money coming in and when I felt I couldn't – it is a nerve wracking feeling. If I had had one MS 'up my sleeve' it would have made a big difference. That was the time I had to produce that rotten book The Big Four.' [Wikipedia]
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hobart View Post
Pdurrant -- I think Christie shared your opinion.

"In 1942, Christie wrote to her agent asking him to keep a manuscript in reserve and stated 'I have been, once, in a position where I wanted to write just for the sake of money coming in and when I felt I couldn't – it is a nerve wracking feeling. If I had had one MS 'up my sleeve' it would have made a big difference. That was the time I had to produce that rotten book The Big Four.' [Wikipedia]
Fascinating. Thanks for that.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
This is a good thread. Very interesting opinions going well. You even make me want to get back into reading her books.

Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #43
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
TV a treat...........

Just a recommendation for the UK TV series of Poirot - a massive undertaking, and the marvellous David Suchet has made it his life's work to put all the works on screen.
Very high production values, beautifully filmed, brilliantly performed, with some stellar actors..........

Faultless - if you can get some videos, do so, you will not regret it.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #44
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I certainly prefer when an author "plays fair" -- even if pretty obtusely. But even when the puzzle's solution IS based on info discovered at the very last minute, in most cases it's the journey, not the destination that matters. I love Christie (and Conan Doyle, Gladys Mitchell, Nero Wolfe, Ngaio Marsh et al) for the atmosphere, the characters and the working out. I am reading the Christie works, vaguely in published order, about 3 or 4 titles a year. For the fiscally prudent, many may be available through the public library as ebooks through Overdrive.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Just a recommendation for the UK TV series of Poirot - a massive undertaking, and the marvellous David Suchet has made it his life's work to put all the works on screen.
Very high production values, beautifully filmed, brilliantly performed, with some stellar actors..........

Faultless - if you can get some videos, do so, you will not regret it.
I agree that David Suchet's portrayal of Poirot is excellent. Hugh Fraser as Captain Hastings is also excellent. I think they're all available on DVD or even as Amazon streaming video.

I see that they will be filming some more in 2013, including "The Big Four". I'll be interested to see what they can do with that train-wreck of a book.