Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
BN Read-In-Store licensing and armchair lawyering...

With advanced apologies if this is somehow Taboo, but I cannot understand how B&N can offer "Read In Store" in a legally compliant manner.

Does anyone know what the agreements they have with publishers on the back-end are? I note from the splotchy selection of some series that Read-in-Store availability is based on publisher.

Does Read-in-Store result in payment to the publisher?

Are publishers really that unaware that all Nook's have shipped with unlocked Boot-loaders?

A "completely hypothetical" method, would be to take an unmodified Nook device, download a number of read in store titles, and then power the device off before leaving the wireless network. If the device is then booted with a "piracy facilitation device" (aka, the widely available SD card images for Nook rooting), it is trivial to copy off the Read-in-Store files.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Gee thanks. I bet no one had ever thought of that!

Not to be too smart alec but why come on here and post something that will only inflame the pirates to start doing something else that will ruin something good for the rest of us? If it really is that easy, and I'm sure it probably is, do we really need to be posting on here where the pirates can learn all about it? This will just lead to gross abuse and cause B&N to do away with the feature altogether.

This is sort of like when the media comes on and says "If the terrorists really wanted to hit America where it hurt, they'd do this" Then they proceed to tell the terrorists what they should do, when and where! Please stop giving the pirates ideas. I'm certain they don't need them.

Can we move on to something else please?

Move along B&N and pirates. There's nothing to see here...
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
A "completely hypothetical" method, would be to take an unmodified Nook device, download a number of read in store titles, and then power the device off before leaving the wireless network. If the device is then booted with a "piracy facilitation device" (aka, the widely available SD card images for Nook rooting), it is trivial to copy off the Read-in-Store files.
Read in store books aren't epubs that download. I've not tried to figure out exactly what they are, but they come down a page at a time when you are in the store.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
Read in store books aren't epubs that download. I've not tried to figure out exactly what they are, but they come down a page at a time when you are in the store.

Greg Weeks
Actually, no, that's not correct, at least for the most part.

For the ones I've read through, these are the same normal, full retail epubs you would get if you were to purchase them from the store. They have a table of contents and you can read through a page at a time, pull up the toc and go to a different chapter, whatever you want, just like in any other epub that you'd purchased. The whole epub is downloaded at the very beginning before you even get the option to start reading. No page at a time or anything like that.

The difference is that these epubs are downloaded to a protected directory somewhere on the root of the tablet that you can't get to so you can't actually see the file, even if you have a file utility. Also, the reader limits you to reading these files for one hour. After that, you have to wait until the next day to read in-store or purchase the ebook.

I've read other posts similar to yours but this has not been my experience with any ebook that I've attempted to read in-store. I've read through a few and checked through many, many ebooks to check their quality before purchase.

- Byron
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
The whole epub is downloaded at the very beginning before you even get the option to start reading. No page at a time or anything like that.

The difference is that these epubs are downloaded to a protected directory somewhere on the root of the tablet that you can't get to so you can't actually see the file, even if you have a file utility.
Yes, the entire epub is downloaded before the option to click 'Read' is available.

It's not a special directory (it's in /data/...), and it's not protected in any way, except that the contents are deleted if (a) wireless is dropped, or (b) USB is plugged in.

I don't have any interest in inciting scofflaws, who can obviously get books much more conveniently than sitting in store and trying to download on the rate-limited connections there.

I'm amazed that B&N is being allowed to get away with it, when companies like redigi are getting sued into oblivion for the same sort of thing.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
It's not a special directory (it's in /data/...), and it's not protected in any way, except that the contents are deleted if (a) wireless is dropped, or (b) USB is plugged in.
Well, that's not quite 100% true. It is protected in the fact that the average user could never get to that directory. You can only get to that directory on a device that has root access and since most rooted devices seem to lose the ability to access the "read in-store" feature...

- Byron
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
I'm amazed that B&N is being allowed to get away with it, when companies like redigi are getting sued into oblivion for the same sort of thing.
It's really no different than walking in, buying a cup of coffee and reading a book or magazine at B&N. Pusblishers aren't going to ask B&N to stop letting people read books in the store.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Actually, no, that's not correct, at least for the most part.
That's odd, because I've had really significant delays in changing pages on read in store books.

Greg Weeks
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
That's odd, because I've had really significant delays in changing pages on read in store books.

Greg Weeks
The nook classic used to download a page at a time - hence the conflicting reports. All other eReaders download the full book, so there are no page turn delays.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The nook classic used to download a page at a time - hence the conflicting reports. All other eReaders download the full book, so there are no page turn delays.
OK, so it sounds like there was some truth to what Greg said after all. It just doesn't apply to many, I would bet most, users any longer.

Now that we've cleared that up...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
gweeks
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That makes sense then. The nook classic is what I've done most read in store with. I don't usually take my nook color out of the house.

Greg Weeks