Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Free (Smashwords) Marrying Miss Shylo - Sharon Ihle [Western Romance]

Originally published by HarperCollins 1994

Marrying Miss Shylo - Sharon Ihle (multi-format DRM-Free)

Quote:
Abandoned by their mother as children, Shylo and her younger sister Cassie decide to run away from their life as orphans and head out in search of her. Knowing she is out west Shylo knows that money is needed to fund their search. What better way to obtain it than to associate with the upper class, so Shylo poses as the President's niece and Cassie as her maid. Meanwhile, Dimitri Adonis is also in need of funds to help keep his business alive and to search for his Uncle whom he believes embezzled funds and thus put the business in debt. What better way to obtain it than to marry a woman with money, and Dimitri has set his sights on the President's niece! One lie begets another, and one adventure leads to another as the group head west is search of their own private causes, neither one telling the other the whole truth. One interesting twist is when the train is held up and Cassie is kidnapped by a not-really-a-bad-guy sort of bandit whom she falls in love with and plans to meet in San Diego. When they finally arrive in San Diego, Shylo does indeed meet up with her mother, who happens to be married to Dimitri's uncle! As with all lies, they never stay secret for long, and once everyone's cards are on the table each pair seems to work out their differences, one way or the other! Not really written as a comedy, Ms. Ihle provides an entertaining romp through adventures propelled by one lie after another. She also provides wonderful secondary characters that follow the same pattern of lightheartedness.Witty, lighthearted entertainment from one little white lie to another! Delightful entertainment is the key here, never a dull moment, always a smile! Ms. Ihle continues to delight readers with tales of adventurous romps that leave you smiling long after the last page is turned!Diane Potwin -- Copyright © 1994-97 Literary Times, Inc. All rights reserved -- From Literary Times
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
Thanks for pointing this out!
Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I bought this last week. I need to learn to wait more. lol
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Yay! Thanks! I read The Bride Wore Spurs a couple of months ago, so I'm looking forward to reading this.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yay! Thanks! I read The Bride Wore Spurs a couple of months ago, so I'm looking forward to reading this.
Christa, this doesn't count for us because it is free! Thanks OP!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Christa, this doesn't count for us because it is free! Thanks OP!
I'm certainly cool with that!

Oh, and I got the "new post" email with your other spelling of my name: Xhrista. I kind of like it!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Oh, and I got the "new post" email with your other spelling of my name: Xhrista. I kind of like it!
I want a finders' fee if you use it!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She has different books at Amazon that's not on Smashwords. I've already bought every single one. I am a huge fan of historical westerns and today they just aren't published much at all. You got a ton of regencies, paranormals and alot of modern westerns but only a handful of historical westerns are put out each year. So I grab all the backlist titles I can find of this genre as they are put on Smashwords and Amazon.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
She has different books at Amazon that's not on Smashwords. I've already bought every single one. I am a huge fan of historical westerns and today they just aren't published much at all. You got a ton of regencies, paranormals and alot of modern westerns but only a handful of historical westerns are put out each year. So I grab all the backlist titles I can find of this genre as they are put on Smashwords and Amazon.
Gee, Blossom, thanks for tempting me! LOL I love western historicals. I've seen her Amazon listings and so far I've been really good about not buying any of them. So far. I may need to visit the support thread to stay strong on this.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "regency"? I've seen they word a few times, but thought it was a series not a genre.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "regency"? I've seen they word a few times, but thought it was a series not a genre.
From Wiki:
Regency romances are a subgenre of romance novels set during the period of the English Regency or early 19th century. Rather than simply being versions of contemporary romance stories transported to a historical setting, Regency romances are a distinct genre with their own plot and stylistic conventions that derive from the works of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer, and from the fiction genre known as the novel of manners. In particular, the more traditional Regencies feature a great deal of intelligent, fast-paced dialog between the protagonists and very little explicit sex or discussion of sex.
So I got Marrying Miss Shylo, download it, convert, send it to the Kindle. I open it, and it opens on Chapter 2. So I go to the Table of Contents, and the first entry is... Chapter 2. So, I try going to the first page, and finally I can start reading the book at the beginning.

Whoever did that should be shot, really.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From Wiki:
Regency romances are a subgenre of romance novels set during the period of the English Regency or early 19th century. Rather than simply being versions of contemporary romance stories transported to a historical setting, Regency romances are a distinct genre with their own plot and stylistic conventions that derive from the works of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer, and from the fiction genre known as the novel of manners. In particular, the more traditional Regencies feature a great deal of intelligent, fast-paced dialog between the protagonists and very little explicit sex or discussion of sex.
Thank you for the explanation! Much Karma to you.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you for the explanation! Much Karma to you.
You're welcome, and thank YOU! Hey, I'm almost at 700,000! Soon I'll be able to say "d***" like the big kids!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
You're welcome, and thank YOU! Hey, I'm almost at 700,000! Soon I'll be able to say "d***" like the big kids!
There were Teletubbies involved, I couldn't help myself. Those things are eeeeevil!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
So I got Marrying Miss Shylo, download it, convert, send it to the Kindle. I open it, and it opens on Chapter 2. So I go to the Table of Contents, and the first entry is... Chapter 2. So, I try going to the first page, and finally I can start reading the book at the beginning.

Whoever did that should be shot, really.
I feel that way every time I purchase a back list titles with a few exceptions.

Calibre now has a new option to output to html using the htmlz which you can renamed to zip to open it. Inside is a html file which I just open it up in my editor like Word and fix it pretty and then reconvert it. It's sad though some of these books cost as much as new one and the formatting is a huge mess.

@Nyssa, You have your classics Regency books like Wikipedia describes and then you have the ones being published today from mainstream publishers. They have alot of sex in them and they are more romance then plot. There are some funny witty ones out there but most of them has modern dialogue or the plots and characters are so cookie cutter they all begin to blend in after awhile. Don't get me wrong I love romances set in the Regency period as long as they are true to their historical period and there is good characterization but those are few and far between.