Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
ron_winters
ron_winters began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Is the Kindle3 web browser the ultimate RSS news reader?

Using Google Reader's full screen mode it just might be. See the article at Wired Magazine's Gadget blog. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...e-news-reader/

See the comments and better screen shots at http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,35571.0.html

Some selected quotes...

From Wired...

"Ironically, given that the Google Reader site is not yet optimized for the iPad, the humble Kindle could turn out to be the best mobile newsreader yet.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...#ixzz0yzCNBuKO"

From the Kindle boards...

"FANTASTIC! As soon as I read this, I grabbed my Kindle and tried it. Wow! Brilliant! Amazing!" Prazzie

"Jaw Dropping Awesome" NorthOfDivision.

Give it a try...

Open google reader, select a feed on the left with the cursor pad, (don't forget to click on it.), then press "j" to open the first article. Now press the "f" key to go into full screen mode to read your RSS feeds like a book. Use the "j" and "k" keys to expand the articles and "shift+u" to select another feed ("shift+u" closes the feed list). Have fun!!!

Ron
ron_winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Ron.

Glad you are enjoying your K3.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I was reading the original repost from Wired on KindleBoards - an excellent idea to post the info here, too.

Have to agree that this is a very enjoyable way to keep up with what's going on online.

Probably worth cross-posting northofdivision's list of keyboard shortcuts, too:

f=full page
o=open/close item
alt+q=expanded view of inbox
alt+w=list view of inbox
shift+a=mark all as read
r=refreshes the unread counts
g+h=goes to google home
g+a=goes to the all items view

Last edited by Richey79; 09-17-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
It all seems pretty pointless to me. All you get is the small piece of an article that's shown in Google reader. If you want to read more, you have to go to the article on the site itself. And then the Kindle says "Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported".

Am I missing something?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
It all seems pretty pointless to me. All you get is the small piece of an article that's shown in Google reader. If you want to read more, you have to go to the article on the site itself. And then the Kindle says "Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported".

Am I missing something?
Just tried this, got the same result as you.

It's very slick looking, but won't actually load the article because the Amazon browser doesn't support multiple windows. As far as I can see, there's no way to tell Google to load it in the same window.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Seems like they could just have the browser override the target=_blank parameter, and open all such links in the existing window. I will send this suggestion to kindle-feedback; you may wish to do the same.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Seems like they could just have the browser override the target=_blank parameter, and open all such links in the existing window. I will send this suggestion to kindle-feedback; you may wish to do the same.
Well, that could be problematic if the new window was meant to open so to not overwrite content in the existing window. There would have to be some kind of confirmation message. (Better yet Amazon, allow us a couple of windows!)
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
This is nothing less than freak'n awesome. I love eInk and I love google reader. Together they will be unstoppable.

Also some people have been having a problem viewing the whole article in google reader. This is the fault of the blogging software that the blog is using, not reader. I read a ton of blogs that allow the full article to show up in RSS readers.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
bob coxner
bob coxner began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you're having any problems with Google Reader, try http://kindlefeeder.com/ The free version limits you to 12 feed sources but the interface is excellent. The paid version ($20 a year) has no feed source limits and you can set it to automatically email your feeds each day. They have something like 1000 feeds ready to be selected or you can add your own.

I use both Kindlefeeder and Google Reader but I'm coming to prefer Kindlefeeder.
bob coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The best way for reading RSS feeds on the kindle is to use calibre recipes which assemble the feeds for offline reading as an ebook. You can schedule the downloads and have them automatically sent to your kindle via user@free.kindle.cm.

I find that much more convenient than live browsing (and less power consuming).
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Personally I use KindleFeeder.com to read RSS feeds - I find it very convenient as it combines as many feeds as you like into the one document and then with the push of a button it gets delivered to your Kindle. But Calibre is also an excellent option for feeds and these can also be sent to your Kindle without having to plug it in.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 11-12-2010 at 11:46 AM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I see how that could solve the problem for a lot of people, unfortunately, it doesn't work for my newsreading style. I like to go down the source page and open a bunch of tabs in the background. Some newsreading systems I have tried work exactly like you suggest. Unfortunately for me, it means that I have to go back and forth a lot. I load a sub-page and read it, and then I have to reload the original (takes time on a slow-ie Kindle-connection), find my place in the list, and go on to the next article.

I'm not saying it won't work for a lot of people, just that its not compatible with my approach.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
It works semi decently if the feed contains the full text. If it's just a one or two line summary and a link, then not so much.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
If you're using Google Reader in the Mobile format, you CAN configure the browser to open links in the same window.

Bookmark this on your Kindle:
http://www.google.com/reader/i/

Visit that site, click "settings" at the bottom of the page.
UN-check "open links in a new window."
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, kindle 3, rss