Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
"E-Readers" and mainstream Black Friday

On Good Morning America this morning, they listed the top three "hot" items for Black Friday shopping. First was boots, then "E-Readers" then smart phones. When "E-Readers" comes in second only to boots, I think the mainstream is overtaking our little community here.

Note: I put "E-Readers" in quotes because, yes, Jon, I know it is a trademark. Looks like it's going to go the way of Kleenex and Xerox, though...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i can't help but think that's a good thing ! mainstream should mean lower prices, improved tech, better selection of ebooks... soon, hopefully.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Bwwaahhhhahahaaahh!

You really think those big publishers will get their heads out of the sand? By the time the next generation ereader will have arrived, publishers will maybe peek out a bit and decide that oh wait, the time has changed, let's change a bit with it...

Naturally, all small publish houses will have moved on but the big boys will still prefer paper books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Part of me is encouraged by the mainstreaming of "reading devices" (see? It's easy when you try!). But with the ongoing problems of non-interchangeable formats from one bookstore to the other, I am still concerned that things could backfire... as in "Whadaya mean, I can't buy from (Barnes & Noble/Amazon/whoever) for my reader? They have the lowest price on the book I want!"
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
But with the ongoing problems of non-interchangeable formats from one bookstore to the other, I am still concerned that things could backfire... as in "Whadaya mean, I can't buy from (Barnes & Noble/Amazon/whoever) for my reader? They have the lowest price on the book I want!"
That's when the market takes over. If enough consumers jump in and that particular complaint becomes common enough, the market will adjust. Publishers will try to make sure their content gets onto as many platforms as possible (as is currently happening with mobile device developers). Reading device makers will start to converge on some level of interoperability (as is sorta, kinda thinking about happening now). Consumers will settle for some "good enough" level of content availability on a device chosen for some other reason (looks, brand loyalty, the mythical "cool factor"). Other avenues of distribution will develop that focus on broad device support (in the way that Ingram and Baker & Taylor act as middlemen between publishers and bookstores).

Eventually, some combination of those variables will settle on something that the market determines is "good enough".
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
2010 is going to be huge for e-reader, the amount of publicity I've been seeing on TV and twitter for them is nuts. Especially when you see well known people/journalists tweeting about how much they love their Kindle/other device, it drives sales.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
boots? really? wow!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I was in BJ's a few weeks ago, and found that on their computer the Sony prs-300 is listed as a "digital reader".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have seen Amazon's TV ad and it's awful. If I didn't know about the Kindle, I'd still not know about the Kindle after seeing the advert. At least with Sony's TV advert, it was obvious what they were selling.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
boots? really? wow!
got the same reaction as yours.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yesterday was the first day I'd seen the Kindle commercials on TV... not impressed. (My wife, sitting next to me, said: "What are they selling?")

TeleRead highlights a Computerworld article that gives 7 reasons why e-book devices are not a good buy this year. Mostly obvious and spurious reasons, IMO: The same 7 reasons would apply to about any piece of electronics out there, including--ahem--computers.

Still, I'm safe at home, not braving the malls, so I have no way of knowing how much of this is actually impacting buying customers.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle TV advert is just a mess. If you didn't know about the Kindle, you'd still not know.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle TV advert is just a mess. If you didn't know about the Kindle, you'd still not know.
I couldn't agree more. That commercial does a horrible job of conveying what a Kindle is or does. I always mute commercials to prevent further brain damage, and the first couple of times I saw it--during NFL games oddly--I had no idea what the commercial was about.

Sony's isn't much better either. It always bothers me that Peyton Manning doesn't say anything in it. What's the deal with that?
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Sony ad is just as bad (in fact that whole series of ads is bad). Both companies need to hire or hire a new advertising agency.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But at least with the Sony ad, you do know what it is they are trying to sell.

And I agree, both Amazon & Sony need new ads that properly convey what the products actually do.