Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Broken Kindle worth buying?

I found a seller locally with a Kindle 2. He says "The screen is not cracked but it does not display correctly". He says it was purchased less than a year ago, so the warranty should still be good on it, right?

It also comes with a case and charger.

What's the most that I should pay for it? Because even though the warranty is still on it, I'm going to have to still pay something to Amazon to have it fixed, right?

Last edited by forkyfork; 11-24-2009 at 02:02 PM.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here's a similar case I think and Amazon replaced it...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62518

Don't know that I'd count on it happening in every circumstance though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yes, I did see that thread, but it seemed like the person got lucky more than anything else. I guess I was trying to figure out a worst case scenario. I saw in another thread Amaazon is charging $180 to fix them, which makes buying one seem like not such a good idea.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If Amazon will fix it, why doesn't the seller do this and then sell the fixed version.

A broken Kindle still gets you access to the Kindle store. This is worth something ($75?) today if you want to buy Kindle AZWs and strip their DRM. If someone works out how to get the PID associated with Kindle for PC, this value drops to zero (because you won't need a Kindle to get circumventable ebooks).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If Amazon will fix it, why doesn't the seller do this and then sell the fixed version.

A broken Kindle still gets you access to the Kindle store. This is worth something ($75?) today if you want to buy Kindle AZWs and strip their DRM. If someone works out how to get the PID associated with Kindle for PC, this value drops to zero (because you won't need a Kindle to get circumventable ebooks).
I think the seller just doesn't have the time or have the want. Some people don't like the idea of sitting on the phone with customer service all day, even though to me it's not a big deal.

I can already purchase Kindle books through the app on the iphone, so being able to get Kindle books isn't a big deal for me.
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I think the seller just doesn't have the time or have the want. Some people don't like the idea of sitting on the phone with customer service all day, even though to me it's not a big deal.
A few minutes on the phone could get them a new Kindle shipped overnight. They could even contact Amazon via email. They probably paid the full $360 for it so it would be worth the time.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
forkyfork
Zealot

You are preaching to the choir, buddy. But, I also don't want the seller to know that, in hopes I can get myself a sweet deal on a Kindle.

So, regarding my original question, what would be a fair price. Obviously as cheap as possible, but is there a "you shouldn't pay more than X" price?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir, buddy. But, I also don't want the seller to know that, in hopes I can get myself a sweet deal on a Kindle.

So, regarding my original question, what would be a fair price. Obviously as cheap as possible, but is there a "you shouldn't pay more than X" price?
Did they provide pictures of it "not displaying correctly"? That might help you decide how much you're willing to offer.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
forkyfork
Zealot

I've attached a picture of what the broken Kindle looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	40030  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I've attached a picture of what the broken Kindle looks like.
If that's what it looks like, then low ball them at $25 and be prepared to pay as high as $100.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
forkyfork
Zealot

Would 100 be worth it, though? Especially if I might have to spend another $180 to get it fixed?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Would 100 be worth it, though? Especially if I might have to spend another $180 to get it fixed?
I think refurbished K2's are selling at around $219, so there is a about a $40 difference compared to the $180 repair.

You can go for the low ball $25 price and hope you can get it replaced for free (if they sell it for that price). If you can buy the broken one at $25 and spend $180 to repair it, you're only saving $14 over a refurbished unit. I'm not sure but I think you would get a new 1 year warranty with the refurbished unit as opposed to a soon to expire one with the broken Kindle even after it is repaired.

Sorry, I'm not making this any easier.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think refurbished K2's are selling at around $219, so there is a about a $40 difference compared to the $180 repair.

You can go for the low ball $25 price and hope you can get it replaced for free (if they sell it for that price). If you can buy the broken one at $25 and spend $180 to repair it, you're only saving $14 over a refurbished unit. I'm not sure but I think you would get a new 1 year warranty with the refurbished unit as opposed to a soon to expire one with the broken Kindle even after it is repaired.

Sorry, I'm not making this any easier.

No, you're making sesne. It sounds like the only real way to not get screwed is to get it for $25. If I get Amazon to repair it for free - excellent. If Amazon charges, not so great, but still not bad. And if I have to, I can always just throw it up on eBay and probably get what I paid for it.

I haven't actually gotten a price from the seller, yet, so I don't know how low he is willing to go. It does come with the case and charger, which is a nice plus.

It sounds like the issue with the Kindle might be covered by warranty, right? Although, I'm not sure the history of this Kindle, so I don't know for sure. As long as he's being honest, though, and it has been purchased within one year, the warranty will still transfer, right?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

It sounds like the issue with the Kindle might be covered by warranty, right? Although, I'm not sure the history of this Kindle, so I don't know for sure. As long as he's being honest, though, and it has been purchased within one year, the warranty will still transfer, right?
It does look like a hardware defect that would be covered under warranty.

I've not come across any stories where the current warranty of Kindle did not transfer to the new owner, so I think you're safe there. The first round of K2 warranties don't expire until late February.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
forkyfork
Zealot

Would I have to register the Kindle to me first before I contact Amazon? Is there any way I can contact Amazon now without having the Kindle is my posession, or is that not a good idea since they can look at my account and see I don't have one.