Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
sofasurfer
sofasurfer began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I get books from Amazon onto my Calibre?

I find a free Kindle book on Amazon. How do I get that book to open on Calibre?
sofasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
I find a free Kindle book on Amazon. How do I get that book to open on Calibre?
If you don't have a Kindle device, you'll need to download Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC from the Amazon web site.

If the book has DRM, you'll also need to read Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
To elaborate on pdurrant's reply, even if the book is free you can't download from Amazon without an Amazon account, so if you don't have one you need to open one. Next, you need to establish a one-click payment method either by associating a credit card or buying an Amazon gift card. For more info about this requirement, see this customer discussion thread on the Amazon forums: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...TxBULDTN0JLOX0

Once you have your account set up, you need to register a Kindle device or Kindle reading app to your account. If you don't have a Kindle device, download one of these apps depending on which device you plan to use to read your Kindle books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000493771

Once you have an account and a registered device or app, you can browse and download Kindle ebooks from the device or app or you can download to your pc and transfer by usb.

If you plan to use Calibre to store and/or read them, you should download them to your pc then add them to your Calibre library. It may sound complicated if you've never done it before, but it's all very simple and easy. Enjoy your Kindle books!

Last edited by jscarbo; 10-28-2013 at 11:55 AM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
I download books from Amazon to my Kindle in the usual way (ie Wi-Fi or 3G).

Amazon books always end up in the Kindle Documents folder all together. Connect Kindle to PC (that has Calibre on it) - Upload the books from the Kindle by going to the Kindles Document folder.

When downloading books from Calibre to Kindle they will be filed under documents under the Authors name (not all thrown together like the Amazon download).
mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you are adding books to calibre from a device, then you can simply go to the device listing on calibre (once it connects to your device) select books and right-click and choose "add to library"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
adrianf
Enthusiast
adrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it is

Device: iPad+MacBookPro
I read my Amazon books on my iPad retina. How can I import (or even better, synchronise) these books into a Calibre collection?
Many thanks
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you are adding books to calibre from a device, then you can simply go to the device listing on calibre (once it connects to your device) select books and right-click and choose "add to library"
adrianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
adrianf
Enthusiast
adrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it is

Device: iPad+MacBookPro
How do I go to "device listing"? It would help a lot if you use the Calibre menu when you give any advice.
Many thanks
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
adrianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
How do I go to "device listing"? It would help a lot if you use the Calibre menu when you give any advice.
Many thanks
Adrian
The menu icon IS Device (or Card A), But ONLY when the device is connected.

Why not take some time with the Tutorial http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

Note: the screen has evolved , but the concept and functionality is still there

'Device' was labeled 'Reader' in that older version (Most WERE dedicated readers back when)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
I read my Amazon books on my iPad retina. How can I import (or even better, synchronise) these books into a Calibre collection?
I don't think calibre can get books from an iPad that were downloaded through the Kindle app. You can get the books off with other tools and then import them into calibre (although the DRM might be an issue).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest installing Kindle for PC/Mac, and downloading the books there. You'll then find them in the "My Kindle Content" folder on the PC/Mac, from where they're easy to transfer to Calibre.

My "workflow" is:

1. Buy book on Amazon web site and send to Kindle for PC.
2. Open Kindle for PC (which downloads the book).
3. Drag and drop the book from "My Documents\My Kindle Content" onto the Calibre window, to import it into Calibre (in the process of which the tools-that-must-not-be-mentioned transparently strip the DRM).
4. Send it from Calibre to whatever device I want to read it on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
sofasurfer
sofasurfer began at the beginning.

Device: none
My whole point, which everyone is missing, is that I have no device to download or read Kindle books off Amazon. I do, however, have a program on my PC called Calibre which can read Kindle books. The problem is that it seems as though the books can not be downloaded to Calibre but must be downloaded with Kindle Reader. If I had a Kindle I would not need Calibre. I do have Calibre but I can not get a Kindle book into it from Amazon.
sofasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is a Kindle app for your PC which can both download and read books from Amazon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
My whole point, which everyone is missing, is that I have no device to download or read Kindle books off Amazon. I do, however, have a program on my PC called Calibre which can read Kindle books. The problem is that it seems as though the books can not be downloaded to Calibre but must be downloaded with Kindle Reader. If I had a Kindle I would not need Calibre. I do have Calibre but I can not get a Kindle book into it from Amazon.
As others mentioned, there is a Kindle program for the PC no need for a Kindle device...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

1) Download Kindle for PC
2) Install and login to your Amazon account
3) Select and download books
4) Read books

Books are stored in Documents/My Kindle Content. See HarryT's workflow above if you want to take the books from Kindle for PC and use them elsewhere.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-28-2013 at 04:04 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
My whole point, which everyone is missing, is that I have no device to download or read Kindle books off Amazon.
Multiple responses understood your whole point and explained exactly what you need to.

Good luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My whole point, which everyone is missing, is that I have no device to download or read Kindle books off Amazon.
"Kindle for PC" runs on a PC. This is why it's called "Kindle for PC" - the clue is in the name.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote