Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Double Shelves

I have a Glo running the newest 2.6.1 from 06/17. I sync'd the glo today with Kobo desktop. Prior to this I had the original 2.6.1 from 06/06. After the sync I ended up with double shelves. Not all the shelves, but most were showing up twice. Deleting one does nothing. I tried a reset, a hard reset and a factory reset. Once I reload books from Calibre, two shelves show up. This only started today after I downloaded the newest version of Calibre. Pic is included below. Any ideas? Anyone else seeing this? Deleting a shelf does nothing. It's still there.

I should mention I am using no plugins on calibre but am using the plug board for series sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	107190  

Last edited by kevenv; 06-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not had the problem for a very long time. When I did, the only solution was to start fresh and then delete all of the shelves. Then do a sync. That should mean that there are no shelves on the Kobo server. If that is true (after a power cycle), you are ready to do a calibre sync.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In addition to taming's suggestion...

You could contact customer support. I tried this, but they wanted me to create a new account, so I declined their help.

If you are comfortable with a PC and databases, you can edit the database on the kobo. I did this, and I was able to delete the shelves (and duplicates). However, the next time I synced, the shelves came back (but there were no duplicates).

If
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I deleted all of the books from the device using calibre. After unplugging I checked and there were no shelves on the device. Powered it off then back on. Still no shelves on the device. Reloaded my library from Calibre and it is "Processing Content..." as we speak. And survey says... Still have most shelves doubled. As I have not reconnected to the Kobo desktop to sync wouldn't this indicate a calibre problem? I mean there were no shelves through a power down/up and after loading mu calibre library they're back?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest that after you drop all the books, you break down and do either a WiFi or Desktop sync.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I should have mentioned...

I do use the Calibre extended plugin. I do not use the shelves part of the extended plugin.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
kevenv
Enthusiast

After a number of resets, signing out of my account, syncing with the desktop app, I can always get to this point;

All the books are gone (I side load all my books through Calibre) and I have no shelves on the device.

I did lie earlier, I forgot that I do use the standard kobo plugin to create shelves. My apologies for the misinformation.

So anyway here is where I am, an empty device with no books and no shelves. When I reload my library with Calibre, double shelves again. But not all of them. In the pic I attached you can see the first shelf isn't doubled.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
kevenv
Enthusiast

So I deleted the library confirmed there were no books or empty shelves. Then I turned off the "create shelves" in the kobo plugin. Reloaded all the books. Everything fine, no shelves. Unplugged device. Re selected "create shelves" in the kobo driver. Attached my Glo, the metadata was sent to the device. I unplugged and there they were again, double shelves for 23 of the 31 I use.

Last edited by kevenv; 06-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
kevenv
Enthusiast

One more interesting find..

I cannot delete or rename the doubled shelves but I can delete or rename the single ones.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT: This post was sent as the OP posted the one before.

Kevin, I think you will need to get Kobo to delete the shelves on the Kobo end. Open a ticket with Kobo help. Their official support forum is https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo. You can email Kobo for help at help@kobobooks.com or you can call them, see http://www.kobo.com/help/customer-care-phones/#NA.

Last edited by taming; 06-21-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
kevenv
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am still not seeing the step where you delete the shelves on the device then sync with the Kobo server, confirming that after the sync there are no shelves on the server itself. This post was sent as the OP posted the one before.
I have never downloaded books from kobo to my Glo. I always side load them. Having said that I did delete everything, including shelves from the Glo and then did a sync with kobo desktop. Then unplugged and checked the device. There were no shelves or books. The shelves only show up (and doubled at that) when I use calibre to send my library to my Glo. And as I said, this only started today after I downloaded the new version of Calibre. Might be a coincidence though as I went back a version and it didn't fix the problem.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to help!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Well, best of luck, keven. If it is a calibre problem, it's not one I have seen. Fortunately we have the resident calibre-kobo experts active on this forum.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is it at all possible that you have both the Kobo regular driver enabled (KoboTouch) and the Kobo extended driver (KoboTouchExtended) in Calibre and didn't disable one properly?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
kevenv
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Is it at all possible that you have both the Kobo regular driver enabled (KoboTouch) and the Kobo extended driver (KoboTouchExtended) in Calibre and didn't disable one properly?
Thanks for the reply Ripp. After a thorough search it would appear I do not have the KoboTouchExtended plugin installed.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Well, best of luck, keven. If it is a calibre problem, it's not one I have seen. Fortunately we have the resident calibre-kobo experts active on this forum.
I've got it. On three devices...my Mini, Glo and Aura. And my Glo is still on 2.5.2 so it wasn't caused by 2.6.1

I use Calibre to side load books but nothing to do with my shelves...all of them were created on the devices themselves. If I have a calibre plugin that creates shelves on the Kobo i've never used it and didn't knowingly install it.

As someone else stated I can't delete the duplicate shelves. If you add books to a shelf with duplicates you don't get a save button, you get a create button. And then voila! You have ANOTHER duplicate shelf. All with the same books plus the new ones you just added. It's weird and annoying. I can delete shelves without duplicates.

Syncing on the desktop got rid of one set of duplicates on the Mini, but one set of duplicates remained. Synced again, same thing, that one set just won't go away. Haven't synced the Glo, I've been keeping the wireless off because I like the way the light works in 2.5.2 and I want it to stay that way. It seems like a step backward to me.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote