Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
DHahn
DHahn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iTunes Connect spitting back befuddling errors on valid ePub

Hey all, I have a valid ePub file that will not upload to the iTunes store, and I haven't been able to find any answers to this problem anywhere… or similar problems, for that matter.

Error is:

Quote:
Apple's Web Service Operation was not Successful.
Quote:
Unable to authenticate the package: blabla.itmsp
Quote:
ERROR ITMS-3000" "Line 64 column 57: character content of of element "publication_date" invalid; must be an ISO date at XPATH /package/book/metadata/publication_date"
This is a very short fixed layout ePub — the only files that contain over 63 lines are my opf and css files.

Compounding the matter, I am a consultant and therefore do not have access to my client's itunes connect (they are trying to upload it).

publication_date isn't even a valid entry, is it?

Any ideas are appreciated — thank you!

Edit: Removed that OPF file. This post is showing up in Google search results for the company in question, and the problem was solved without needing the file.

Last edited by DHahn; 07-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
DHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
DHahn
DHahn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
This is solved.

According to the iTunes Producer manual,

Quote:
Publication Date: Type the date (YYYY-MM-DD) of the original, physical publication. This is the date users see in the iBookstore.
but my clients were entering the date in M-DD-YY format. Looking at the xml file generated from the failed upload,

Quote:
<publication_date>7-01-12</publication_date>
was incorrect. I had them enter the date exactly as the manual suggested, and all seems to be well, we've submitted the book.

Totally silly: iTunes should update that form so you have to use the proper format!
DHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The proper format is YYYY-MM-DD, (for normal ePub, YYYY-MM and YYYY are also allowed). Other formats are ambiguous.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHahn View Post
Totally silly: iTunes should update that form so you have to use the proper format!
As Jellby said, the only formats allowed by the EPUB (2) standard are YYYY, YYYY-MM and YYYY-MM-DD.

Please observe that this choice makes sense, as all of them are unambiguous, while '7-01-12' might be interpreted as:

A) the 7th day of January (20)12, or
B) the 1st day of July (20)12, or
C) the 12th day of January (20)07,

depending on whether you are European (A), American (B) or Leonardo (C, but just kidding).
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote