Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
CM 7.1 Stable is Out!

I've seen some people referring to CM 7.0.3 as the latest stable build over the last couple days, which is no longer the case. CM 7.0.3 has been outdated for about a month now, but both some elusive bugs and some emerging features (like USB host!) held up a stable release of 7.1.

As of 6/27, 7.1 stable is live: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=encore (stable releases end in "-signed.zip")

The main noticeable advance in 7.1 over 7.0.3 is that deep sleep is working, meaning that there's little or no battery drain when the NC is not in use.

Edit: d'oh! The current signed version is actually a release candidate, i.e. a "We think it's stable, let us know otherwise" release. Everything else above still applies.

Last edited by taosaur; 06-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've seen some people referring to CM 7.0.3 as the latest stable build over the last couple days, which is no longer the case. CM 7.0.3 has been outdated for about a month now, but both some elusive bugs and some emerging features (like USB host!) held up a stable release of 7.1.

As of 6/27, 7.1 stable is live: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=encore (stable releases end in "-signed.zip")

The main noticeable advance in 7.1 over 7.0.3 is that deep sleep is working, meaning that there's little or no battery drain when the NC is not in use.
Thank you.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:

Where does it say stable. My understanding is that it is RC (release Candidate) this is the file name" update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip" and it is listed under the nightlies which continue. Not sure what the RC1 means but if it is stable why is it not yet listed as such? People still are having wifi issues.
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?typ...&device=encore

Last edited by goldberry; 06-29-2011 at 11:28 PM.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Where does it say stable. My understanding is that it is RC (release Candidate) this is the file name" update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip" and it is listed under the nightlies which continue. Not sure what the RC1 means but if it is stable why is it not yet listed as such? People still are having wifi issues.
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?typ...&device=encore
Oh, that's what this is? I've been getting a notification that a Release Candidate is available. Been ignoring it because I'm not interested in RCs.

Besides the battery drain I don't have any issues. Not in the mood for any hassles that may come from updating. More than likely will stay put. Happy with my outdated CM7.

Last edited by SCION; 06-30-2011 at 12:48 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I read through the XDA site and few members seem to be using 7.1. I'll wait until the next Stable version. Afterall, 7.0.3 is only a month old.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, you're right, goldberry, I suppose it is only a signed and not a stable release--guess I'm spreading misinformation instead of clearing it up :P

Honestly, I would still not recommend to anyone to start on 7.0.3 at this point. The only time I've had "Wi-Fi issues" was on 7.0.3 before I switched to the original 7.1 beta, and some people have had "Wi-Fi issues" on basically every existing NC ROM, including stock. I've been on nightlies for weeks (updating about once per week) with no issues.

I can see the appeal of "don't fix it if it ain't broke" if you have a stable install (especially if you're running from SD, which can be more finicky), but there's no reason to be afraid of the nightlies, much less the long awaited release candidate.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I read through the XDA site and few members seem to be using 7.1. I'll wait until the next Stable version. Afterall, 7.0.3 is only a month old.
I'm not sure where you're getting that impression, but virtually all current activity on XDA revolves around 7.1 (which includes all nightlies since #86) at this point. Authors of the most common install methods (verygreen's size-agnostic SD, eyeballer's CM7+OC+CWM, dalingrin's OC kernel) have been recommending recent nightlies over the stable build for weeks.

At any rate, 7.1 stable should be quite close with this RC out, so if you've waited this long, I suppose there's not harm in waiting a bit longer.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

If you look at this post asking how many users are on 7.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1145774

You will see that since Tuesday, only 6 replies are listed.

It does not seem to be a high rate of adoption.

I have no problems at all with 7.0.3 from my sd card.

On the other hand, I have ordered a second Sandisk 8gb class 4 micro sd and want to try some of the nightlies, I just don't want to risk corrupting my primary card.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
If you look at this post asking how many users are on 7.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1145774
That thread is not a poll of how many people are using 7.1. It is asking for some feedback on RC1 specifically, and adequate feedback having been given, there is no longer any reason for anyone to post in that thread.

RC1 is not the only 7.1 build available. All of the nightlies since #86 are also 7.1, as is, of course, the original RC0 beta. The difference between 7.0.3 and 7.1 is that the latter is based on a more recent linux kernel, 2.6.32 rather than 2.6.29.

For an idea of how many people on XDA are using the 2.6.32 builds and how long they've been using them, try the last dozen pages of any of these threads:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=960542

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1030227

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Or, basically, any NC thread in the development forum, or any thread anywhere in the XDA B&N forums where anyone would specify what ROM they're using. Again, all XDA threads on installing CM7 have been recommending recent nightlies (and now RC1) over 7.0.3 for weeks.

Obviously, use whatever ROM you like.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

As a newbie I had looked at all those threads in the past just to figure out how to update my NC to CM7.

The threads are all so long now, that it is overkill for me to go through the entire thread to get the simple kind of info I seek.

I have my NC set up on the sd card. I have the programs installed the way I want. Is there a simple way to update the card to 7.1 without risk of loss of all the info on the card? I would give it a shot if I could just do steps 1, 2, and 3, etc. without messing up what I already have.

I am not a technical guy so we are talking baby steps.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Ack. No.

I updated to nightly 113 last weekend in order to fix the sleep issue - and ended up spending 8 hours on Saturday trying to fix the Netflix chipmunk (fastforwarding) issue.

Finally reverted to 7.0.3 - I watch Netflix a lot. Poor battery was lesser of two evils.

When they get a new stable that I don't have to spend hours monkeying around with in order to get my apps to work, then I'll update.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior

If you used verygreen's size-agnostic SD installer, it's just a matter of putting his uboot update (toward the bottom of his OP) and the RC1 .zip on the boot partition of your SD card, then booting into recovery.

Of course, you should back up with ROM Manager and Titanium Back-up first. Most people are good to go after the above steps, with all their apps, settings and data in place. When I tried it back when the 7.1 beta first came out and I was still on SD, I was not most people :/ I had FCs and Wi-Fi drop-outs, and rather than trouble-shoot, I just migrated to eMMC, where 7.1 ran perfectly. Like I said, most people don't have issues, but there's always a chance when you're flashing that something will go wrong.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
If you used verygreen's size-agnostic SD installer, it's just a matter of putting his uboot update (toward the bottom of his OP) and the RC1 .zip on the boot partition of your SD card, then booting into recovery.

Of course, you should back up with ROM Manager and Titanium Back-up first. Most people are good to go after the above steps, with all their apps, settings and data in place. When I tried it back when the 7.1 beta first came out and I was still on SD, I was not most people :/ I had FCs and Wi-Fi drop-outs, and rather than trouble-shoot, I just migrated to eMMC, where 7.1 ran perfectly. Like I said, most people don't have issues, but there's always a chance when you're flashing that something will go wrong.
Same here, I was running 7.0.2 from an SD card, but the battery life was poor and as soon as 7.1.0 came out (RC1), I flashed to eMMC using CW on an SD card. I haven't played much with it yet, but so far so good.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:

Honestly, I would still not recommend to anyone to start on 7.0.3 at this point. The only time I've had "Wi-Fi issues" was on 7.0.3 before I switched to the original 7.1 beta, and some people have had "Wi-Fi issues" on basically every existing NC ROM, including stock. I've been on nightlies for weeks (updating about once per week) with no issues.
I agree that if someone is starting from scratch definitely load CM 7.1 and try it out if problems show up you can easily redo with Cm7.0.3

I actually make an mirror of my card and try out the latest once in a while to see if everything works the same. Haven't tried RC1 yet but will this weekend and hopefully my wifi issue will not re occur. I also have a better idea what to try to fix if it does occur.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Ack. No.

I updated to nightly 113 last weekend in order to fix the sleep issue - and ended up spending 8 hours on Saturday trying to fix the Netflix chipmunk (fastforwarding) issue.

Finally reverted to 7.0.3 - I watch Netflix a lot. Poor battery was lesser of two evils.

When they get a new stable that I don't have to spend hours monkeying around with in order to get my apps to work, then I'll update.
Last I knew, the Netflix speed issue was fixed by editing your build.prop with a different model name... Takes about a minute with root explorer...? Or use this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1119093

I'm a "if it's not broke" person too, but the nightlies have been WAY better than the battery-sucking 7.0.3 stable.

I'm updating to RC1 today. I'd think people that don't like to update much would be better off waiting for the official stable 7.1 though.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-30-2011 at 11:25 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote