Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Wired's Comparison of iPad and Kindle2 as eReaders

"As a Kindle aficionado I was curious to see how the iPad stacked up to Amazon's device as an e-reader. The answer: Pretty well. Newspapers, of course, are a natural, and the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Reuters and USA Today are all taking a step toward Minority Report–style living newspapers, where a touch expands a story or starts up video. (That's much better than Kindle's clunky newspaper navigation.) Using the familiar conventions of the iTunes store, the iBooks store made it easy to buy a virtual book, though many best-sellers cost more on Apple's store than Amazon's.

Apple has added some welcome innovations to the reading process, like a scroll bar that makes it easier to zip through chapters. Pages turn really fast. And the backlit screen makes the pages themselves clearer. But I'm not sure whether the backlighting is a plus — I found it easier to read with the brightness turned halfway down. After a bunch of long novels I'll figure out whether or not backlighting in "ludic reading" situations (intense, lengthy sessions) really does strain the eyes more than the Kindle's screen does, as some have claimed."

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product...tories+2%29%29

I don't know about anyone else, but I have not yet been convinced to give up my K2.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I haven't been convinced to give up either my Sony 505 or pbooks for an iPad. But then I don't own an iPod, an iPhone, or an iMac -- or anything Apple -- for that matter. Apple's hype has yet to sway my purchase desires.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The ipad fails for one single stupid reason alone: you cannot hold it comfortable in one hand.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPad does not compare to the K2. It compares to the KDX.

Can the KDX be held in one hand easily?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
The ipad fails for one single stupid reason alone: you cannot hold it comfortable in one hand.
That didn't bother me at all in playing around with my girlfriend's iPad yesterday.

But of course I read my Kindle with holding it with two hands most of the time, and same for physical books.

I really liked the reading experience on the iPad. Bigger screen, can adjust the brightness to a level I like vs. needing to be near a light or hassle with my clip on book light I use with my Kindle in dim rooms etc.

I'm not sold on buying an iPad yet as I want to see what other tablets come out in the next 6 months or so as it has some non-reading related draw backs I'd like to see improved on.

But I could see a tablet becoming my main e-reading device and maybe selling my Kindle. I seldom read for more than 60 minutes, so I don't really need e-ink like the avid readers do. I just love the convenience of e-books.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You can't easily read outside on the iPad. What is this mania with reflective screens that don't work well with glare? If Apple had figured out how to make a color reading device that is as easily used outside as in then that would be magical.

The DX is significantly lighter than the iPad but I wouldn't want to hold either for long one-handed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's very true. Moot for me as I never sit outside and read, but yeah the iPad is not a good outdoor device. I'm pretty much not outdoors unless I'm going somewhere or doing something like hiking. The iPad is ok in the shade (or on a covered porch/balcony) etc. from the little I used it though.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The kindle is a dedicated reader... If all you want to do is read - get a kindle...

I do love my ipod touch, but I don't use it too much for reading... I mostly use it for the music and its applications... I suppose I would use an Ipad the same way... I find the ipod touch quite easy to read on, even when switching directly from the kindle to the Ipod..

I think I want an Ipad...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPad does not compare to the K2. It compares to the KDX.

Can the KDX be held in one hand easily?
Yep, I frequently hold the DX in one hand and don't find it too heavy. I would prefer the page change buttons on the left hand side as I prefer to hold the device in my left hand. I also take the deivce on public transport and read even on those odd occasions where I cannot get a seat and have to stand with one hand holding a safety strap (I choose to travel to work early rather than endure packed trains). I dont expect that the Ipad will be any different when I get it.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Here's one users first impressions (who also has a Kindle):
http://www.pvponline.com/2010/04/05/...ons/#more-5518

So.... cool device. Kindle replacement? No way. Supplement? Sure.

Another thing to keep in mind - the IPad has a glossy screen (so you'll be looking at your face and whatever else is behind you while you read) and will be pretty much *completely* unreadable in bright sunlight. The iPad also looks to be *very* fragile:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19338...ess_tests.html
PC World found that the screen was permanently damaged with just 3 drops on carpet!
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Yep, I frequently hold the DX in one hand and don't find it too heavy. I would prefer the page change buttons on the left hand side as I prefer to hold the device in my left hand. I also take the deivce on public transport and read even on those odd occasions where I cannot get a seat and have to stand with one hand holding a safety strap (I choose to travel to work early rather than endure packed trains). I dont expect that the Ipad will be any different when I get it.
Agree. No problem at all with holding my unit in one had, easily.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
Another thing to keep in mind - the IPad has a glossy screen (so you'll be looking at your face and whatever else is behind you while you read) and will be pretty much *completely* unreadable in bright sunlight.
I've had no problems with reflections. Glare is an issue of course in sun or really bright lighting, but I don't read in either condition.

Quote:
The iPad also looks to be *very* fragile:
It's not any more fragile than a Kindle DX with its 9.7" glass screen. All these devices are pretty fragile and need to be kept in cases, care taken to not drop them etc.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
For me it's just too heavy to replace my K2 as a reader. I hope to get some kind of slate device this year, be it iPad or something else, but I can't see it becoming my primary reading device.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
For me the single most important factor is battery life. I doubt that I could charge an Ipad and still be reading on it a week later without plugging into an outlet. I am in the Navy and travel alot and some of that travel is in areas that do not afford a source of power.

If they could ever advance a technology, it would have to be battery life for illuminated, constantly connected devices. Imagine not worrying about plugging in your smartphone for over a week.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, the iPads battery life is great for what it is. But we've gotten 10-11 hours out of it, so it wouldn't fit your needs like an e-ink device.

I don't need it as I'm always around power and have no problems plugging it in every night or two rather than every week or two like my Kindle. But e-ink is far superior on that front for people who have to spend long stretches away from power or just hate having to charge more frequently for whatever reason.