Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Kindle 2 Looks Really Cool

I think the dictionary feature is really awesome. I think, for me, that would be the most used new feature. It looks a lot less cumbersome than the first, but I never used it.

I'm still happy with my PRS-505, and definitely don't have 350 bucks to throw around, but it really is a cool looking reader. I just wish Sony's ebook store was as extensive as Amazon's.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah, im really looking forward to the ease of use of the k2s dictionary. I read a ton of old books, and run into weird words people don't use anymore so I don't always know what they mean.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
I just wish Sony's ebook store was as extensive as Amazon's.
This was the main selling point for me. I compared Sony's library against Amazon's and after searching for books in different genre for about an hour I found that Amazon had much more available and at a cheaper price.

This is an E-book Reader and available content is what drove me to the Kindle.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
buying books will be moot for me soon, as more and libraries are getting into the e-book scene. I already take advantage of checking out audio books from libraries online.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Well, I have heard Sony's store will soon match Amazon's. I don't see why it would, it isn't like Sony is some rinky-dink company. Plus, as you mentioned, as the popularity of ebooks rises, it should be a moot point.

In any case it doesn't matter much, as I have read most of the books on my reader from this forums Uploads section.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Well, I have heard Sony's store will soon match Amazon's. I don't see why it would, it isn't like Sony is some rinky-dink company. Plus, as you mentioned, as the popularity of ebooks rises, it should be a moot point.

In any case it doesn't matter much, as I have read most of the books on my reader from this forums Uploads section.
I honestly think that would be great. I like competition, but I haven't exactly seen signs of it. Amazon's been in the business over a year and Sony still hasn't met them in content let a lone prices and nifty things like free sample chapters. Still, I'd still rather buy an .azw I can strip the DRM off of an archive.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
buying books will be moot for me soon, as more and libraries are getting into the e-book scene. I already take advantage of checking out audio books from libraries online.
Interesting..it's actually been a while since I went to a library, i wonder if the local ones do this.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon could nip this issue in the bud by selling ebooks also for the Sony reader

Quote:

Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard

There is a Wiki listing the current libraries offering this service
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKat View Post
Interesting..it's actually been a while since I went to a library, i wonder if the local ones do this.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Drezin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Amazon could nip this issue in the bud by selling ebooks also for the Sony reader
That would be fine with me. I don't care where the ebooks come from.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
About the dictionary -- does the Kindle 1 also have a dictionary? I sort of thought it did, but I can't quite remember. I agree the dictionary would be totally useful.

(I'm thinking of "borrowing" my father-in-law's Kindle 1 since he doesn't use it and I don't know if this is a good time for me to be spending extra $$ on a new reading device.)
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
About the dictionary -- does the Kindle 1 also have a dictionary?
The K1 has the same dictionary. What is new is the ease of looking up a word, because the K1 could only select a line with its scrollbar but the K2 can select a single word from the page using the joystick.

One of the advantages of how "minor" the K2 upgrade turned out be be is that there is very good backward compatibility. For almost everything a K1 will be "good enough" at least until the K3 comes out.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Is there any data/press releases/speculation/etc on the Kindle 3? What will be different about it?

Also, this is from the Kindle 2 user guide, about the dictionary:

Quote:
Your Kindle includes The New Oxford American Dictionary. You can easily look up a particular word without leaving the content. Simply use the 5-way controller to navigate the cursor in front of the word you want defined. A definition of the word appears at the bottom of the screen. To view the full definition, press the Return key on the keyboard. To return to the text you were reading, press the Back button.
Looks pretty handy!
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Dictionary was one of the important features for me as well. Although I never used K1, the ability to look up a specific word as opposed to the entire line and viewing the definition without leaving the content is perhaps the best implementation I've seen in all the ebook readers I've researched.

To top that off, it sounds like you can lookup Wikipedia content through Whispernet, meaning anytime anywhere!

Pointing to the word with a stylus like iRex DR1000S would perhaps be even better, but iRex has no support for highlighting and annotating of mobi books at this point and adding stylus support means embedding a Wacom tablet under the screen and significantly adding to the cost of the device. Sony had a chance with it's newest touch-screen PRS-700 reader but they have no dictionary support and the new screen does not display text as sharp as other eInk readers. Bookeen Cybook Gen3 has a very similar joystick driven dictionary lookup support, but K2 adds a keyboard for annotating, access to Amazon content, and Whispernet for Wikipedia searches. You just can't beat the Kindle!
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Is there any data/press releases/speculation/etc on the Kindle 3?
Sony and Amazon seem to release a new device about once a year. There is no reliable information about the K3, but see After K2?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote