Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
opaintner
opaintner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Exclamation Kindle DX refuses to accept update from 2.1.1 to 2.5.8

Hi, I've recently gotten a hold of a Kindle DX B004 from a Goodwill in my area, and I noticed that the firmware wasn't up to date, so i went through the usual steps of placing the update from Amazon's update page - named "Update_kindle_2.5.8_B004.bin" - in the root of the Kindle. However, no matter what I have tried, even after factory resetting it and things like that, the "Update Your Kindle" option in the Menu remains greyed out. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this? This is my first post here, and I'd really appreciate any help you smart people would have for me.
opaintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There may be incremental updates that need to be applied first. Also, there were 2 versions of the DX, so you must use the correct bin files.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
opaintner

I selected the .bin that goes with my serial number B004, and there aren't any others that would match, so I don't think that's the issue.

I also had an idea that the incremental updates would be an issue, but I did some searching and could not come up with any .bins that are anywhere between v2.1.1 and v2.5.8. Is there any kind of archive for these .bins somewhere here on MobileRead?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon used to have the incremental updates on the site...not sure why they removed them. I'm sure the age of the K2's are mostly the reason. The DX runs the same as the K2s.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
opaintner

They may run similar firmware, but are the .bins interchangeable? And is there any place I can start looking, like some kind of archive, to find these files?
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaintner View Post
They may run similar firmware, but are the .bins interchangeable? And is there any place I can start looking, like some kind of archive, to find these files?
Since the displays are very different, it seems unlikely that K2 bins will work with any of the 3 DX models.

For newer kindles, older firmwares can be downloaded by editing the firmware number portion of the URL for the latest version. Maybe that works for the DX if you can find out what the older firmware versions are. Looking at old DX threads on mobileread would be a good place to start.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I was just on the Amazon site and check all of the information for the DX has been removed. And knowing the Kindles you can’t use a firmware update from any other Kindle devices. The Kindles are programmed to only work with the exact firmware it was designed to use. There isn’t anyway that I know of to trick the Kindles to use any other .bin
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #8
opaintner

Quote:
For newer kindles, older firmwares can be downloaded by editing the firmware number portion of the URL for the latest version. Maybe that works for the DX if you can find out what the older firmware versions are.
I've tried this, and couldn't get anything to work.

Quote:
Looking at old DX threads on mobileread would be a good place to start.
I saw a post from 2009(?) concerning the 2.3 update, but it was more of a discussion of the update than a place to get the bin. Any links that supposedly went to the amazon link to get the download were removed.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

I didn't mean the bins were interchangeable, they are device specific. But the DX did run the same os, basically it was a large K2.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:34 PM   #10
opaintner

I couldn't find any archived incremental updates with the method of changing the firmware versions in the URL, and was also not able to find anything on Mobileread that would allow me to grab a bin.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can only install the bin for the model, and only a later one.
The DXG (B009) is actually the DX with an upgraded display, so though it came out after the 3rd Gen Kindle Keyboard it can only use the dumber 2.5.8

I don't know why there is no incremental update for the DX and DXG listed yet there is for the KK2, basically similar but a different display.

Current link on 2012-07-21
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Quote:
Kindle DX (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.
Quote:
Kindle (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B002 download this file.

Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.

Your serial number starts with B003 download this file.

Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.
I suggest you contact Amazon as it seems likely a DX with 2.1.x needs 2.3 first and the 6" KK2 version 2.3 won't work.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah this works! I looked at link for 2.3 for B002
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_2.3_B002.bin
And I edited it to this
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_2.3_B004.bin

The B005 and B009 versions don't work
Old 07-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Can't find B005 and B009
Old 07-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
opaintner

When I was cycling through changing the version in the URL, i put 2.3.0 instead of just 2.3. Thank you for finding this firmware for me, it worked and updated perfectly to 2.3 and then 2.5.8.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 07-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard

I do love a happy ending!

Tags
b004, firmware, kindle dx