Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
JBL 16e and ADE Overdrive

I've updated to 16e and so far so good, able to purchase and open books from B&N. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to authorize the JBL for ADE Overdrive. I got the Overdrive library ebook downloaded to ADE on my computer, and it is authorized, and I hooked up the usb to the JBL and the JBL shows up in the ADE library file on my computer, plus I can copy the ebook to my JBL, but it won't open on the JBL, nor can I figure out how to authorize my JBL to ADE. Any help appreciated.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
When you click the down arrow to the right of LIBRARY (upper left of ADE) do you get the option to authorize your device? That's what I remember doing some months ago.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that authorizes the computer but not the JBL. I clicked on it again just to make sure and it says my computer is already authorized. But I can't figure out how to authorize the JBL.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
I've updated to 16e and so far so good, able to purchase and open books from B&N. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to authorize the JBL for ADE Overdrive. I got the Overdrive library ebook downloaded to ADE on my computer, and it is authorized, and I hooked up the usb to the JBL and the JBL shows up in the ADE library file on my computer, plus I can copy the ebook to my JBL, but it won't open on the JBL, nor can I figure out how to authorize my JBL to ADE. Any help appreciated.
oops, I missread your problem.

What I would do in your place is to make an SD card appear to be your JBL, to ADE and not
let it mess with your JBL directly.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-23-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, this is how I understand it to be working (based on Adobe's ADE FAQ)

1. To use ADE on a device, both the host PC and the device must have
the same "Adobe ID" (Don't panic, yet).

2. To put your "Adobe ID" on a device, the ADE running on your host PC
must be "Authorized" through their web site.

3. After that, the ADE on your PC can use the "device.xml" file in the
".adobe-digital-editions" folder on JBL's Internal user's memory (or in the
Root of an SD card) to build the other required Adobe files and folders,
with your proper "Adobe ID" on the JBL (or SD card) to accept a readable
version of your eBook.

4. Then if you connect the JBL (or the prepared SD card) to your PC
while ADE is running you can transfer ebooks to the "Bookshelf" that ADE
maintains for your JBL (or SD card that it now thinks is a JBL).

Luck;
Ken

PS; After step 2, with ADE up and running plugging in your JBL (or SD card)
should result in ADE asking if you want to "Authorize" your device, that is
how step 3 starts.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-25-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Conan46
Fanatic

The 'PS' is the problem. ADE on my computer does not ask for the authorization i.d. for the JBL even with the software open on the computer and JBL connected through usb. And there appears to be no way manually to do this authorization for the JBL. Whatever is supposed to trigger that request to authorize the JBL isn't happening
Note that ADE is authorized on my computer and it even recognizes the Jetbook and has a folder for it, it just does not authorize it.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
The 'PS' is the problem. ADE on my computer does not ask for the authorization i.d. for the JBL even with the software open on the computer and JBL connected through usb. And there appears to be no way manually to do this authorization for the JBL. Whatever is supposed to trigger that request to authorize the JBL isn't happening
Note that ADE is authorized on my computer and it even recognizes the Jetbook and has a folder for it, it just does not authorize it.
That's odd...

Mine didn't add a folder for the JBL until it authorized it.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well, I would start over. Remove ADE from your PC and Move all the contents of the JBL
Internal user memory to a folder on your hard drive. You could format the internal
memory and run ChkDsk on it, as long as you have it connected.

Then just redo the upgrade to 0.16e, it will add the ".adobe-digital-editions" folder with
just the "device.xml" file. Then you would have to reinstall ADE on your PC and authorize
it. This should leave you with the right conditions for ADE to see the
".adobe-digital-editions" folder with only the "device.xml" file and that should trigger it to
offer the authorization of the device (your JBL).

OR- you could Format a SD card to FAT32 (insuring that it is blank/has no hidden files)
then copy the ".adobe-digital-editions" folder (after removing everything except the
"device.xml" file) from the folder where you copied or moved the post 0.16e update
contents of your JBL's internal user's memory, to the SD card. Then add empty "Books"
and "Pictures" folders to the SD card.

With ADE up and running, inserting the SD card into your PC's card reader should have
ADE offer to authorize that device (the SD card that it sees as a JBL).

If it is not offering to authorize any device, it would be because it thinks it has already
asked and you said no, or it thinks it has already authorized the device, or it doesn't
see the "device.xml" file and other indications that there is a device to be authorized.
Hopefully, reinstalling ADE will make it look at things without any preconceived ideas.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Here's something I found on mobileread posted by Jim Lester over a year ago:

In ADE with the reader attached (and showing up in ADE), press the magic key incantation: Ctrl-Shift-E, and the deactivation dialog should show up

Maybe you can deactivate your reader and then reactiveate it. I know back when I got a dialog box to activate my reader (nook) when I first plugged it into ADE. Hope it works for you.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Conan46
Fanatic

Control-Shift-E didn't work for me, but thanks for the idea.
Before I start uninstalling and re-installing everything, I'd like to know if Anyone has been able to open an ADE DRM ebook with the new 16e firmware update? Could this be a firmware problem? I saw one other post from someone who could not open an ADE Overdrive borrowed library ebook with the new firmware, so I'm wondering where the problem lies? I have had two freeze-ups with the new firmware already and had to reset the reader, not crazy about that as the older firmware gave me no frozen screens.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Quote:
I'd like to know if Anyone has been able to open an ADE DRM ebook with the new 16e firmware update?
Hi

I have opened library books, and purchased epub books from B&N and a free book from B&N that used the unlock code without any trouble using 16e.

When I download a library book I don't save it first I run the asc file letting ADE take control of it then from ade I transfer it to the JBL or card as Ken has described

Gary

Last edited by Blusaber; 08-25-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Before I start uninstalling and re-installing everything, I'd like to know if Anyone has been able to open an ADE DRM ebook with the new 16e firmware update? Could this be a firmware problem? I saw one other post from someone who could not open an ADE Overdrive borrowed library ebook with the new firmware, so I'm wondering where the problem lies? I have had two freeze-ups with the new firmware already and had to reset the reader, not crazy about that as the older firmware gave me no frozen screens.
If you are having problems that appear after a firmware update, it is a good
idea to re-download the update file and redo the firmware update. It is not
that hard and you get another chance to be sure that you have followed all
the instructions, including all the resets.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
Conan46
Fanatic

Yay, it works!
I removed the Overdrive ebook from the JBL, and then reinstalled the 16e firmware update. Then I uninstalled the Adobe Digital Editions from my computer, and attached the usb to the JBL. The JBL showed up in the library of the ADE software, and I dragged and dropped the Overdrive book I borrowed into the JBL section. After disconnecting the usb the Overdrive book opened fine on the JBL. I still don't know how the JBL got authorized unless the ADE does that automatically from the computer memory. Anyway, it works now and that's what counts. Thanks for the ideas and help!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Yay, it works!
I removed the Overdrive ebook from the JBL, and then reinstalled the 16e firmware update. Then I uninstalled the Adobe Digital Editions from my computer, and attached the usb to the JBL. The JBL showed up in the library of the ADE software, and I dragged and dropped the Overdrive book I borrowed into the JBL section. After disconnecting the usb the Overdrive book opened fine on the JBL. I still don't know how the JBL got authorized unless the ADE does that automatically from the computer memory. Anyway, it works now and that's what counts. Thanks for the ideas and help!
Glad it's now working for you. The most likely cause is what I bolded out of your statement. For a library book you must copy the file using ADE and not through the file system.

In general uninstalling ADE is a placebo troubleshooting step. Uninstalling ADE only deletes the executable (and on Windows removes the install/uninstall line in the registry). All of the interesting bits - the activation, the library manifest, the books, etc.. are not removed or changed during uninstall - and will not be changed if present during the install.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I have both the JB and the Aluratek Libre Pro (ALP).

Both support ADE and because of that they can use Overdrive.

While I was going through the FAQ for the ALP at their web site it mentioned that you can deactivate and reactivate a connected ereader do ADE.

Just select the bookshelf representing the device and do a "Ctrl+Shift+E" then select deauthorize. Now you can reactivate the device and refresh it's actvation xlm file. This may also prevent you from getting the "Too many Activation" errors.

I have included 3 entry from the ALP FAQ list concerning ADE, authorization as well as SD card usage. Don't forget the Libre and JB are similar devices.

-----------------

How Do I Copy Purchased eBooks to the SD card?
My LIBRE's internal memory is full and I can't save any more purchased eBooks to my LIBRE. How do I save my purchased eBooks to the SD card in my LIBRE?
Content
Adobe Digital Editions ("ADE") saves your purchased ebooks to a folder titled "Digital Editions" on your LIBRE's internal memory. At this time, ADE does not have a feature that allows a user to designate where purchased ebooks are saved. Therefore, when the the LIBRE's internal memory has been filled to its maximum capacity, you will need to move your purchased ebooks to your LIBRE's SD card or to your PC to free up space on your LIBRE's internal memory.
Simply, copy the folder titled "Digital Editions" to the SD card inserted in your LIBRE. Please make sure that you copy the entire folder because it contains the manifests and licenses for your purchased ebooks. You can change the title of the "Digital Editions" folder on the SD card to whatever title you desire to help you organize your purchases.

Once the "Digital Editions" folder is copied to your SD card, you may delete the folder titled "Digital Editions" on your LIBRE's internal memory. This will provide you with the free space to purchase additional ebooks in the future and save them to your LIBRE. When you save new ebooks to your LIBRE using ADE, ADE will create a new "Digital Editions" folder on your LIBRE's internal memory. When you reach the internal memory's limit again, just copy the "Digital Editions" folder to your SD card again.
--------------------------------
Adobe Digital Editions-"Too Many Activations"
This is a recommended solution to correct the "Too Many Activations" error in Adobe Digital Editions.
Content
First, deauthorize Libre by following the steps below:
- Deauthorize Libre from Adobe Digital Editions by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E
- You will get a prompt asking which device you would like to deauthorize
- On that window's drop down menu, select the Libre-eBook reader PRO then click on "deauthorize"
- You will get a confirmation window that your Libre has been successfully deauthorized
Then, follow the steps below to reauthorize your Libre:
- Reactivate Libre by selecting the Libre's icon on the left panel
- Once the Libre has been selected, click on "options" located at the bottom of the left panel
- Select "activate device" and you will be prompted to "authorize device"
- After doing the preceeding steps, you will get a confirmation that your device has been successfully authorized
- Click on "finish"

------------------------
Adobe Digital Editions-"Too Many Activations" follow-up
I followed your recommendation to address the "Too Many Activations" error I'm getting from Adobe Digital Editions. However, I am still unable to save or open the ePub and PDF ebooks I purchased. What do I do now?
Content
The "Too Many Activations" error has been an on-going problem for Adobe and not only affects your LIBRE but other popular ebook readers that use Adobe Digital Editions to open DRM-restricted PDF and ePub ebooks. It is an issue related to how Adobe's server monitors the number of devices activated under your Adobe ID. At this time, the maximum amount of activations is six (6) devices. For some reason, despite only having one PC and one ebooks reader, their software and server sometimes mistakenly determines that you have exceeded the maximum amount of activations.
However, the issue has gotten to the point wherein users must contact Adobe directly by submitting a case to Adobe's support and demand that Adobe reset your number of device activations.

Before you contact them, please make sure that your firmware is up to date. You can verify the firmware installed on your LIBRE by going to Settings, System Settings and then Firmware Version. The most current firmware is available for download at the LIBRE's product page:

Same applies for the JB or JBL.

Last edited by jlg432; 08-27-2010 at 10:31 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote