Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
A Walk on the Dark Side

Occasionally, I feel the need to take a walk on the dark side. I figure one needs to know the neighborhood, even if you aren't planning on living there.

I recently had the urge to reread an old favorite book. Since I had this nice, new jetBook, I figured I'd get an ebook to replace the tattered old paperback. Alas, no legitimate ebook exists of my aging favorite. Since I owned a copy, and the publisher hasn't made it available in ebook form, I figured this was a fair novel to use to see how the other half reads. I found a passable text scan on the darknets.

With three hours of tinkering, I had a decent, albeit not perfect, ebook. I didn't use anything elaborate. Mostly Open Office Writer. Now then, 3 hours times my takehome cash pay rate is =gack=! The 1997 paperback only cost $6.99. I'd just spent =mumble= times that.

Once again, ebooks aren't worth stealing. It would have been cheaper to buy it, if publishers would wise up and make their backlist available as unencrypted ebooks.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
One on one yes, I'd have to agree. Time spent is probably not worth what it costs you.

The sweet thing about an ebook is that for that investment of time, you can make as many copies, and share it with as many people as you like. Or even post it here, and let us all read it. And even have a really interesting discussion about the book afterwords. Since we'd all have access to it.

And if you did a book, and I did a book, and he did a book......................

Sorry, someday's the pirate side of me just sneaks out. I try to keep him locked up most of the time. But he's a slippery devil!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
One on one yes, I'd have to agree. Time spent is probably not worth what it costs you.

The sweet thing about an ebook is that for that investment of time, you can make as many copies, and share it with as many people as you like.
"But that would be wrong, Mr. Dean." - R.M. Nixon, speaking to lampshade

More seriously, since I like the author and wish him to do well, I'm unlikely to do something to harm his making a living. In this case, I like the _publisher_ as well, so your suggestion is beyond the pale.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote