Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
Hundebub
Hundebub began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (first Gen)
Question Few questions about the Oasis 3

Hi there!
First: Sorry for my bad english - it isn't my native language.

After an eternal search, I have finally found a new suitable e-reader that suits (allmost) all my requirements.
This would be the Kindle Oasis 2019.
My current model is a Kobo Aura H2O (1st generation).
Since the Kobo accepts .epub, I have no problems storing the purchased books offline on my hard drive and have no problems with DRM.
I still got a few questions...

Can I actually convert an .epub book to kindle 1:1? So really a 100% same book to Amazon format without any changes?
I tried a small book with a few pictures and not much writing in it.
Something went a little bit wrong, beacause one picture was missing (page was blank) and there were more pages (because the paragraphs had more white distances between it) than in the original.
I didn't change any settings in calibre - only convert from one format to another.

I also heard the following:
In addition to the books purchased, the account also includes reading habits, how fast I read, what I read,...
I don't like this tracking at all.

Can I somehow prevent this?
I thought about using the Kindle without wifi or account and transferring my purchased books via PC.
Would it be better to never register the kindle, or register it one time and only stay offline?
Does the dictionary still work offline? I would like to read a few English books and a translation function would certainly not be wrong ...

Many thanks for your help!

Hundebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Convert your epubs to azw3, not mobi. While the conversion will never be completely 1:1, it will be pretty close.

I suggest you register your Kindle, then keep it offline and transfer your books via USB, if you want to avoid any tracking. The dictionary works in the airplane mode (offline).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
The Oasis3 is nice although some people will say that the metal case is cold to hold (use a skin or cover) or that it's expensive (yup). But certainly a very nice, premium device.

Converting ebook formats inevitably causes minor formatting changes. It isn't normal to miss a picture and the differences are not enough to bother most people. But if you are very particular about minor formatting details, look into that further in advance. Think more like 98 or 99%, rather than 100% identical books after conversion. Jailbroken Kindles can read epub without any conversion, using the amazing koreader. But no one has figured out how to do so on the Oasis3 yet. And no certainty or time-frame can be put on that.

Yes, Amazon does like to track stats, how much you read, which books and so forth. You can block that completely if you don't use an Amazon's online ebook services and leave the device in airplane mode. If you sideload your books, that is transfer them from Calibre to your device (rather than let Amazon's servers manage and sync books) you would still thwart most of their data collection, even if you do use wifi. And yes the dictionary works offline, although of course the wikipedia lookup option would only work with wifi.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
Hundebub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I suggest you register your Kindle, then keep it offline and transfer your books via USB, if you want to avoid any tracking.
Which format are the files, when I'm download them via Browser and keep the Kindle registered on amazon?
Do I still need to have Kindle for PC 1.24 (or lower) installed to store and convert my bought books?

What do you think about the Display difference's between the Oasis 3 and the Libra H2O? (Backlight, Ghosting,...)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Kindle wants mobi files or the encryption capable equivalent e.g. azw, azw3.

I'd suggest that Kindle for PC v1.17 is a better choice as it predates the more secure PITA KFX encryption. So if you use the older version, Amazon will send it the old format, non-KFX files instead. For actual file conversion, gather the appropriate plug-ins and use Calibre, which can auto convert books upon import.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundebub View Post
Which format are the files, when I'm download them via Browser and keep the Kindle registered on amazon?
They're mostly azw3, some are mobi. The files downloaded directly on the Oasis are kfx.
Quote:
Do I still need to have Kindle for PC 1.24 (or lower) installed to store and convert my bought books?
If you use the "download and transfer with USB" option, then no. At least as things stand at the moment.
Quote:
What do you think about the Display difference's between the Oasis 3 and the Libra H2O? (Backlight, Ghosting,...)
The screen itself is pretty much the same. The frontlight on my Oasis is more even than on my Libra (but that varies from device to device).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Can I actually convert an .epub book to kindle 1:1? So really a 100% same book to Amazon format without any changes?
I tried a small book with a few pictures and not much writing in it.
Something went a little bit wrong, beacause one picture was missing (page was blank) and there were more pages (because the paragraphs had more white distances between it) than in the original.
I didn't change any settings in calibre - only convert from one format to another.
kindlegen (link below) will convert an epub to an azw3 very close to what you would get buying from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765211
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
Hundebub

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
kindlegen (link below) will convert an epub to an azw3 very close to what you would get buying from amazon.
Thank you, I didn't know there was such an programm directly from amazon.
Does this anything other than calibre?

BTW: I ordered a Oasis 3 (32GB) a few moments ago.
I had to pre-order, because they ran out of stock. So I can try different converting tools/steps till I got my new kindle.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765211
Kindlegen creates a dual mobi, which does contain the book in azw3 format but it also contains the book in the old mobipocket format as well as containing the original epub so it's a bit bloated. If you give it the -dont_append_source flag it will exclude the original epub, but it still contains the unnecessary (in the OP's case) mobipocket format book.

What about simply using Calibre to convert the epub to azw3? That has the advantage of being able to tweak the output azw3 without needing to fiddle with the CSS in the epub.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, I didn't know there was such an programm directly from amazon.
Does this anything other than calibre?

BTW: I ordered a Oasis 3 (32GB) a few moments ago.
I had to pre-order, because they ran out of stock. So I can try different converting tools/steps till I got my new kindle.
kindlegen preserves the structure and contents of the book better than calibre. I suggest that you give it try and see which you like more.

If the epub has page-map or pagelist content, kindlegen will create an apnx file so the kindle will show paper book page numbers. Some people like those page numbers, some do not.

As hobnail points out, kindlegen produces a dual mobi which contains an old format mobi (KF7) book and an azw3 (KF8) book. On your 32GB Oasis, that might not matter. But it is easy to use kindleunpack, which is maintained and supported by mobileread members, to split out the separate mobi and azw3 and apnx files.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Kindlegen creates a dual mobi, which does contain the book in azw3 format but it also contains the book in the old mobipocket format as well as containing the original epub so it's a bit bloated. If you give it the -dont_append_source flag it will exclude the original epub, but it still contains the unnecessary (in the OP's case) mobipocket format book.

What about simply using Calibre to convert the epub to azw3? That has the advantage of being able to tweak the output azw3 without needing to fiddle with the CSS in the epub.
I never tweak the formatting, but if I had to change the CSS, I would mount the epub as a disk drive and use the text editor of my choice to change the CSS, then unmount the epub. No need to fire up calibre.

As to splitting out the azw3, I regularly start with an azw3, use kindleunpack to obtain an epub, extract the paging information directly from the HTML, use that to generate a correct page-map.xml, put that in the epub, use kindlegen, then use kindleunpack again to split out the azw3 and apnx. Some may find that onerous, I do not.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
Hundebub

My Kindle Oasis arrived today.
I'm happy with the backlight and build quality over all, but i noticed some "dirt" oder "dust" inside of the display? Is that normal?
Refreshing the screen doesn't change that, the "dirt" is always on the same spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200115_194358.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	176424  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
No. Not normal. If ordered brand new I certainly would talk to support for a replacement.
TheSmitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kindle/Amazon also tracks you. They look at your reading history to give you recommendations I believe. I get emails based on my reading and browsing habits. Since you are already with kobo I would get a Forma or Libra. Great Oasis alternatives
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote