Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotas View Post
- How can I add a cover image? To show as cover, not in text, for all software and hardware .epub readers.
Just import an image and put it at the top of your document. You'll probably want to add a chapter break after it.

Quote:
- And, how much must the size for this image? I noted that Sigil does not change or resize the images, so later in viewers they are too small, or too big.
Sigil will never resize your images. Epub as a format was meant to display on many different devices with many different screen sizes. Trying to settle on one cover image size is pointless and will always fail to display correctly on some devices.

What you should do is wrap your image in some SVG code so it automatically resizes. AFAIK there are other ways of doing this too. Check out the epub subforum on MobileRead, and the code snippets sticky.

Sigil will one day have a WYSIWYG action that automatically wraps your image in SVG.

Quote:
- I have a strange problem: when saving/loading files, I can load again the .epub exported files, but not the original .sgf one (???) Hangs forever loading with high cpu usage, both are about 4,83 MB size.
Create an issue and attach the files in question. I can't guess the bug away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way in 0.1.2 to make any of the paragraphs have no indent? Also, can the extra space between paragraphs be removed or not added in in the first place?
That is done with CSS. If you are asking for a WYSIWYG way of doing that, there currently isn't one.

Adobe's EPUB best practices document recommends that books use this CSS code by default:

Code:
body, div, p, h1, h2, h3, h4 { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
I plan on adding it for books created with the "New" command, but nobody really uses that. Everyone just imports. I will not automatically add these styles to imported documents because Sigil tries to preserve your document as much as possible.

So just add this style directly. It should take you 2 seconds to copy-paste it into Code View.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have not looked at the tickets so this may already be there. But is there going to also be a CSS editor eventually built in?
Some day, sure. Not soon though.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #47
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
- I have a strange problem: when saving/loading files, I can load again the .epub exported files, but not the original .sgf one (???) Hangs forever loading with high cpu usage, both are about 4,83 MB size.
I have the same problem. Using XP sp3 on a core duo with 2gb memory, I opened an html book, made some changes, saved as sgf(?) and now Sigil hangs when I try to open the file.

Also, moving between code and book view after making changes to the document make Sigil hangs for a few seconds. But maybe that's expected since it has to sync the views... (working on a 240k html file)

Anyway, it's a great program! Thanks for investing your free time in developing it.

...Maybe it's time to finally move to epub.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #48
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I have the same problem. Using XP sp3 on a core duo with 2gb memory, I opened an html book, made some changes, saved as sgf(?) and now Sigil hangs when I try to open the file.
Please provide a repeatable test case and add it to a new issue on the tracker. This would contain the original HTML file and the minimal set of changes that would need to be made so that saving this as an SGF results in a hang when loading the SGF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Also, moving between code and book view after making changes to the document make Sigil hangs for a few seconds. But maybe that's expected since it has to sync the views... (working on a 240k html file)
It can hang a bit on large files, yes. This will hopefully be minimized when I implement live updating. This is a technical challenge, so it will take a while.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #49
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
- How can I add a cover image? To show as cover, not in text, for all software and hardware .epub readers.

Just import an image and put it at the top of your document. You'll probably want to add a chapter break after it.

Sigil will never resize your images. Epub as a format was meant to display on many different devices with many different screen sizes. Trying to settle on one cover image size is pointless and will always fail to display correctly on some devices.

What you should do is wrap your image in some SVG code so it automatically resizes. AFAIK there are other ways of doing this too. Check out the epub subforum on MobileRead, and the code snippets sticky.
Yes, I noted. If simply adding a image over top, some epub readers show the image as cover, some don't, some will show also in text, some don't ... but all of them try to show it in original size, so the result is wrong, too small, or too big. It's necessary some simple SVG/CSS code, usually even using a "100%" attribute works, so program/device tries to resize and fit to 100% -their size- for the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
Sigil will one day have a WYSIWYG action that automatically wraps your image in SVG.
I would strongly suggest to add this, using GUI icon, or a new metadata option, since it's a very basic and common action for all users, specially non technical ones (so more people will give Sigil a try), books later look great, and this, plus the option to build and show footnotes (tricky, from the .epub specs I read, seems there are still not a totally stablished standard, specially for software or hardware viewers, and at least two or three different codings and some tips to do), are the most asked and requested questions from new users here.

Also, I found a new problem: when loading .epub files containing multiple illustratios, Sigil confuses the images order and contents, and most time results in showing the file in edit window using a single image for -all- the illustrations. Sample:

http://www.epubbooks.com/book/24/gulliver%27s-travels

EDIT: and a Search option!

Thanks! Regards!

Last edited by jotas; 08-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #50
Valloric

Quote:

Also, I found a new problem: when loading .epub files containing multiple illustratios, Sigil confuses the images order and contents, and most time results in showing the file in edit window using a single image for -all- the illustrations. Sample:

http://www.epubbooks.com/book/24/gulliver%27s-travels
Please refrain from such broad generalizations. This happens for this epub only because of a very specific issue (images in that epub have names that are suffixes of Sigil generated names). Thanks for the bug report though, it will be fixed in the next release.

In the future, if you have a bug to report, do it on the tracker, or at least in a separate thread.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Sigil 0.1.2 seams to have fixed some of the major anoyance i had with it.

Kudos Valloric
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #52
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Sigil 0.1.2 seams to have fixed some of the major anoyance i had with it.
There's a bit more to go until the major annoyances I have with it are fixed.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-18-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2009, 03:15 AM   #53
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah.Still, there some improvement.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote