Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
In general, one of the tale tells I look for is a well known book being sold at well below the normal price point. For example, if Lord of Lights came out at $2 rather than the more normal $6, that's pretty obvious. The scammer is basically trying to get as many people as possible to pay before he gets shut down.
Hmmm...but if an author is re-publishing their backlist, they may be tempted to put them on sale, or list them at a very low price for the first couple of days that they are listed, in order to generate buzz. Why would you automatically assume that a low priced book is a scam?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...but if an author is re-publishing their backlist, they may be tempted to put them on sale, or list them at a very low price for the first couple of days that they are listed, in order to generate buzz. Why would you automatically assume that a low priced book is a scam?

Shari
It varies by genre.
Other than sales, books tend to be priced within genre-typical bands.
Indies run lower than tradpub but both types are consistent.
Indie Romance runs in tbe $3 range, give or take a buck. Tradpub $5 and higher.
SF runs around $5 but with a broader range.

And SF legacy authors tend to be tradpub or agent assisted so they run higher, regardless of age, because they're perennials. Usually $7+.

Sales are usually for a day or two so seeing an established tradpub author book consistently low raises questions.

It might be legit but asking why is fair.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
If you follow the trends, then it's pretty obvious. The answer is that I would be suspicious of a low priced book of an author who is dead, as I indicated in my previous post. I would likely either not buy it, or do some sort of follow up to make sure it was legit. I would assume it because scammers tend to go after well known books by authors who are dead and whose books aren't available, since it's more likely that the copyright holder isn't paying attention and it's more likely that people will want to buy them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #49
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
What's a good starting point in reading Zelazny?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There were very few of Roger Zelazny's books that I did not like. Jack of Shadows, Lord of Light, This Immortal, Nine Princes in Amber (first book in the first of the two Amber pentalogies), Creatures of Light and Darkness? Doorways in the Sand? The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth? A Rose for Ecclesiastes? The last two are short stories.

An oddity from Creatures of Light and Darkness which I loved was the Possibly Proper Death Litany AKA The Agnostic's Prayer.

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to ensure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #51
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Lord of light is my favorite, but all of your suggestions are excellent.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you follow the trends, then it's pretty obvious. The answer is that I would be suspicious of a low priced book of an author who is dead, as I indicated in my previous post. I would likely either not buy it, or do some sort of follow up to make sure it was legit. I would assume it because scammers tend to go after well known books by authors who are dead and whose books aren't available, since it's more likely that the copyright holder isn't paying attention and it's more likely that people will want to buy them.
Books by Ian Fleming and Arthur Clarke are frequently on sale.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #53
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There were very few of Roger Zelazny's books that I did not like. Jack of Shadows, Lord of Light, This Immortal, Nine Princes in Amber (first book in the first of the two Amber pentalogies), Creatures of Light and Darkness? Doorways in the Sand? The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth? A Rose for Ecclesiastes? The last two are short stories.

An oddity from Creatures of Light and Darkness which I loved was the Possibly Proper Death Litany AKA The Agnostic's Prayer.

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to ensure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.
Creatures of Light and Darkness and Dirvish the Damned are the two Zelazny books that I really want in eBook.

Lord of Light was Zelazny's masterpiece. I like Jack of Shadows a lot. His Amber series is very popular. I've really only run into one or two books by him that I didn't really like. Like most authors of the time period, Zelazny was oriented towards magazine sales, so several of his books are compilations of short stories or novellas and the novels tend to be short compared to what we expect today.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #54
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
So what do you consider "low priced"? What is the threshold where you would become suspicious?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #55
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I suspect the answer is similar to the so-called Miller test...
"I know it when I see it"
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
All the mentioned ones are good, but for a smooth starting point: NINE PRINCES IN AMBER. Anthologized in THE AMBER CHRONICLES and elsewhere.
It starts very conventional-60's and slowly guides you into the worlds of Shadow; Amber, the one true world; and the Courts of Chaos. They he cuts loose.

Rats, now I'm getting the itch to reread...
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
All the mentioned ones are good, but for a smooth starting point: NINE PRINCES IN AMBER. Anthologized in THE AMBER CHRONICLES and elsewhere.
It starts very conventional-60's and slowly guides you into the worlds of Shadow; Amber, the one true world; and the Courts of Chaos. They he cuts loose.

Rats, now I'm getting the itch to reread...
I thought of making that the primary recommendation but 10 books and 5 or so short stories in the Amber series are a bit much. Hmmm.... speaking of the Amber short stories, how many other posters picked up a copy of Manna From Heaven?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #58
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have it in paper, but I don't think it is available as an eBook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I thought of making that the primary recommendation but 10 books and 5 or so short stories in the Amber series are a bit much.
True but it's AMBER.
And it's the easiest way into his works. You're going to get them anyway, however you get into Zelazny.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have it in paper, but I don't think it is available as an eBook.
Apache
The first 7 books are now available as eBooks. I've got the paper omnibus book as well. You can also buy all 10 as audiobooks, the first 5 read by Wil Wheaton and the second five by someone whose name eludes me off the top of my head. Both did very good jobs.