Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #61
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've never used page turn buttons (never had one with this option). It doesn't bother me since I'm used to it. I don't swipe the screen, I touch it with a dotting jab to turn the page, like a button at the bottom right-hand side of the screen.

I can see the appeal of having a button, though.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with buttons is that they are in a fixed place. The touch screen is not as you can use the touch screen in many different places.
On my Nooks and (I believe) on Kindles, the touch zones are in a fixed place. So while it's nice that the whole left side is page back and the whole right side is page forward, sometimes it's easiest to tap with the left thumb. Whoops! Page back.

So while a touch screen has bigger zones, it doesn't necessarily work better than the buttons would. On most readers, at least there are page back and page forward buttons on both sides of the screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #63
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
On my Nooks and (I believe) on Kindles, the touch zones are in a fixed place. So while it's nice that the whole left side is page back and the whole right side is page forward, sometimes it's easiest to tap with the left thumb. Whoops! Page back.

So while a touch screen has bigger zones, it doesn't necessarily work better than the buttons would. On most readers, at least there are page back and page forward buttons on both sides of the screen.
I have never understood why they don't put a page forward area on both sides of the reader, and page back in the dead center. I think most of us page forward way more often than back and it would make either handed using easier on short thumbed people.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I have never understood why they don't put a page forward area on both sides of the reader, and page back in the dead center. I think most of us page forward way more often than back and it would make either handed using easier on short thumbed people.
S
Yes, what does Amazon call it? ‘Easy Reach (TM)’? But only if you are holding in left hand. Makes no sense, and even more absurd on Oasis, which is designed to flip over when switching hands. Why not at least provide a couple of options. Ohhh but that might generate a few customer calls, or someone would have to create new test cases (presumably these are largely automated).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #65
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
S
Do any of these options on a Kobo come close to what you're after?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	options.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	176212  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yes, Amazon should copy that for Kindle.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:12 AM   #67
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
None of those are perfect but I believe I could be happy with the last option since it has the page forward are on both sides equally. I would prefer, though, the majority of the space to be for forward with only a smaller sliver for back since it’s used so much less often.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 AM   #68
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
None of those are perfect but I believe I could be happy with the last option since it has the page forward are on both sides equally. I would prefer, though, the majority of the space to be for forward with only a smaller sliver for back since it’s used so much less often.
(e.a.)

That's why I thought the 3rd option might be more like what you're after, it seems to be 90% forward, 10% back. I'd assume it's easy to page forward with only the left thumb in that layout.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wish Kobo and Kindle (and all touch screen ereaders) would have an option for touch anywhere on the page to page forward, and swipe to page back. I very seldom need to page back, and I am constantly page forwarding.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #70
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:

I was thinking like this. That way your thumb just has to barely move to tap.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's the page turn tapping that needs an [B]option[B] to disable. Some people accidentally tap when screens are flush with the bezel. For swiping, the solution is simple. If you don't want to turn pages by swiping, don't swipe.
Kobo allows you to turn off tapping to change the page. So the way to change the page using the touchscreen would be swiping only. I have mine set for swiping only. I like it better then tapping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe I've owned some models where you had to swipe (the Sony 650 for example, it also had buttons).
You could tap to change the page on a 650. But swiping also worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #73
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
For me the buttons have never gone away. And I hope they never do. My first e-reader was the first kindle, K1. And since I have needed a kindle with buttons. I tried a non button, the non lighted touch basic, but never liked it. I traded it in for the O3.

Buttons are an absolutely non negotiable must in a e-reader for me. The Voyage doesn't work so well for me as they aren't actual buttons and the bezel is too small to really grip the device and comfortably press the buttons. It falls out of my hands more often than not and my hand cramps up. I really like the side buttons on the K3 and button basic. Best of course were the K1.

Every time there are new models or a model gets retired, I start worrying about not being able to have buttons in the future.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could tap to change the page on a 650. But swiping also worked.
Can anyone else verify this? I just tried this, and when I tap while reading, it doesn't turn the page ( I get a circle with a - sign flash in the footer)? This is with stock firmware reading an epub.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #75
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
(e.a.)

That's why I thought the 3rd option might be more like what you're after, it seems to be 90% forward, 10% back. I'd assume it's easy to page forward with only the left thumb in that layout.
The second option is about what the Kindle Voyage is now, except the the menu area is just a thin line at top and bottom rather than a little square, so the third option is basically that but flipped. I'd like something with the forward area all the way across from left to right because I often hold my hand in a way where it's not comfortable to move my thumb far enough over to constantly hit the forward area over and over again, when holding it on the side that is the 'page back' area side. So basically when I hold it with my right hand, I tap to turn the page with my thumb and when I hold it with my left hand, I press the haptic sensor button with my thumb to turn the page.

I so rarely use the page back compared to forward that I'd be fine with no area on the touch screen for page back and just use a button or swipe for that whenever I need it. But choosing from the options in the image you posted, I could make do with the fourth option the best and it'd be better than what's on my voyage currently.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote