Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 02:49 AM   #1
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Opinions! Want an eReader: Amazon sucks, but love the Oasis. What should I do?

Hi there:

If you've read my other posts you know I'm trying to get an ebook library set up. I've been reading on my iPhone, but I do think I'm having some eye strain. Thinking about an eink based ereader.

I'm looking at Kobo's Libra H2O, and the Kindle Oasis. I'd like to avoid actual kindle books as much as possible.

Thing is, I'm really attracted to the Oasis' hardware. I'm a sucker for great design and devices that feel good in my hand. Also, the backlights seem superior.

Is it possible, with Calibre at hand, to have a large collection and avoid the Amazon ecosystem without it being a huge pain in the can? And still have good looking formatting on your books? Or should I get over it and just use the plastic and mediocrely lit Libra?

Thanks for your opinions!
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It's entirely possible to have a large library of well-formatted non-Amazon books on the Oasis. I have about 3000 on my Oasis 3 at the moment, all sideloaded from Calibre. The only problem with this scenario is, you can't manage Kindle collections from Calibre. You have to do it manually on the device itself.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-03-2020 at 03:29 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would not be surprised if Amazon continues to lock down their formats over time, that even side loading will become a real PITA and Using Kindle Kontent on any other device... impossible.
(and yes, that is some gorgeous hardware)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Buy the oasis, buy your ebooks from other stores, convert with calibre and side load.

That is what I do with my oasis gen1. Even when I do buy from amazon I still download and convert them to epub. My whole library has all my books as both epub and azw3. That way no matter what ereader I have in the future I'm set.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would not be surprised if Amazon continues to lock down their formats over time, that even side loading will become a real PITA and Using Kindle Kontent on any other device... impossible.
I wouldn't be surprised either.

Thanks for the tips everyone...
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

While all of that might happen I think it depends on where Amazon makes the most profit. Is it off the Kindle hardware or the content? I suspect it is off the content because I think most people buying a Kindle will take the road of least resistance and buy/rent their content from Amazon.

As for “Kindle Kontent” on other devices? Well why cut off your nose to spite your face? It is a big deal that there is a Kindle app for almost everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I can't say anything about Libra or Oasis because I don't own them. But if You prefer Oasis hardware You can sideload books in the better kfx format (ligatures, hyphenation, kerning) with Jowell's calibre plugin of file conversion. A vast majority of books can be converted in kfx, You can try with some books an see.

It relies on Kindle Previewer, so it doesn't work on Linux. If You can't or don't want use it You will use azw3 format that can handle soft hypens with another calibre plugin (hyphenate this or polish book)* but has no ligatures nor kerning.

About metadata: kobo is considerably better in its interaction with calibre, because with a Kindle You have to create collection by hand, and it doesn't handles series information (the only thing You can do is to create a collection including the books of a series, but then You won't have the possibility of ordering them by series).

Some poster are worried about future of sideloading in Amazon's device: but who can say?

*If I remember correctly, for some mysterious reason azw3 can handle hyphenation (no need of soft hypens) in Russian and only in that language.

Last edited by ps67; 01-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before you buy a Kindle, check out the Kobo firmware and decide which firmware you might like better.

Also, chances are you may not be able to jailbreak the Kindle, but you can path the Kobo.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote