Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
The_book
Zealot
The_book began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is their any opinion in Sigil for use it as plain editor?

I find in Sigil that when I dell with large file, it become very slow.I think it may because everytime I change the file, the editor check if it is a correct .xhtml format file and if it isn't, it well tell me where is wrong.
Now I want to close it temporarily,for editing large file quickly.
So,is their any opinion in Sigil for use file as .txt file?
Old 12-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you working with ONE HUGE (body) Segment? That will really slow things down. (and that is on a 64 bit system with lots of RAM). Breaking (splitting) it is really a good thing as everything goes faster (an that includes the end users reader) with smaller chunks.

Since EPUB is really just a Zip up bunch of text files (HTML and the lot are plain txt) Un-zip (there is a Unpack tool that will keep the proper EPUB structure upon repacking THE SESSION) the book and use whatever editor you want . Notepad++ comes to mind, since it IS a good CODE style editor
Old 12-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_book View Post
So,is their any opinion in Sigil for use file as .txt file?
The only opinion I have is that there's already a ton of programs--free and paid--that can edit plain txt files. Why would Sigil need to?

Sigil's an epub editor. Epubs require xhtml. Hence there's no place for editing txt files in Sigil.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
The_book
Zealot

I just need to deal with large file,and I want to use Sigil's search saving function.
And, in some particularly large files, the check function just cannot work. It take long time and tell me nothing, the preview just left empty although there are quite a lot things in the file.
I think a setting for close checking for file larger than a specified size is useful and meanful.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
notepad++ has what you are looking for, and its free
Old 12-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I just angry about the political standpoint of notepad++'s author, but that's to far away from this forum.It's just I won't use that software.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I just angry about the political standpoint of notepad++'s author, but that's to far away from this forum.It's just I won't use that software.
1.Proverb. beggars can't be choosers. When in need of help, one cannot dictate how that help is given; when one's situation requires one to beg, one cannot complain about the insufficient or substandard gifts that one receives

2. notepad++ is open source? if the authors name bugs you that much , you can develop your own fork, with his name removed. Not nice, but do-able ?
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/resources/. ( more do-able than persuading the sigil authors to accommodate your needs ? )
Old 12-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
1.Proverb. beggars can't be choosers. When in need of help, one cannot dictate how that help is given; when one's situation requires one to beg, one cannot complain about the insufficient or substandard gifts that one receives

2. notepad++ is open source? if the authors name bugs you that much , you can develop your own fork, with his name removed. Not nice, but do-able ?
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/resources/. ( more do-able than persuading the sigil authors to accommodate your needs ? )
You are right, I should thank you first for your suggestion.
And I think remove the name of an open-sourse software is not polite and do not change any thing realistic.
And I think an opinion close checking for file larger than a specified size make sense. It cause Sigil break, make us take long time to change anything and really dose nothing. The perview is just empty.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The simple answer is to use Sigil 's regex Find and Replace and insert Sigil SplitMarkers at chapter boundaries, and split the file into reasonable chapters.

Search and replace works just as well across multiple xhtml files. The epub will be faster to load on all readers and easier to edit as well.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
visual studio code can open large files & remembers previous searches (i think).
Old 12-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I agree 100%. notepad++ is very good and free. It edits text files very well. Plus is knows different programming languages such as HTML so you can have the HTML in color(s).
Old 12-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It's your loss as notepad++ is awesome.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-23-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You know better than to talk directly about political crap that was only being mentioned in the vaguest of terms, Jon. Don't do it again.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #14
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The simple answer is to use Sigil 's regex Find and Replace and insert Sigil SplitMarkers at chapter boundaries, and split the file into reasonable chapters.

Search and replace works just as well across multiple xhtml files. The epub will be faster to load on all readers and easier to edit as well.
It's right that I can split large file into small ones, but in this case, the regex find and replace also changes file and cost to much time.
And what I suggest now is to close checking for files to large to preview in Sigil.I think it may help with us.The checking before spliting files is ineluctable, but the checking after changing large file can be avoid to accelerate editing epub file in Sigil.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
visual studio code can open large files & remembers previous searches (i think).
Vscode is just what I use, but I cannot find search saving function. Maybe it's just because I have not know enough about it.
And don't you think the checking for the files to large to preview is really useless? It slows our editing speed and we get nothing useful from that checking.
Closed Thread