Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Get Prime Whether You Want It or Not.

My experience just a few moments ago.

I opted for the least expensive shipping option on an order I was placing. When I was just about to finish checking out, Amazon applied a 1-month free trial of Prime to my invoice--without my permission--and so I got free Prime shipping.

Here are the out of the ordinary aspects of my order--I don't know, of course, if one or more of them played a part in me receiving this Primal gift:
1. It was a dropship, to a friend.
2. The order started out less than $25, so I didn't qualify for free shipping.
3. I looked around for a little while, and found a filler item to bump the subtotal total over $25.
4. There was an unusually prominent banner ad, on one of more of the final pages, for a free 30-day trial. I ignored it. A little later, I copied the URL for one of the webpages with the banner ad, but I didn't see the ad on it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/buy/spc/ha...ngJavascript=1

I consider this action by Amazon to be "over the top". I had no trouble seeing their prominent banner ad. I didn't want the free trial, _or I would have signed up for it_. Now, I suppose, _I'm_ responsible for canceling(s-p-?) my membership or I'll be billed for Prime in perpetuity?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-02-2019 at 04:09 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've run into this, too. At some point in the process, you have to click on "I don't want Prime" or however they phrase it, but it's not obvious. I agree that a trial shouldn't be the default on checkout.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Just cancel it right now. It takes a few seconds .
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Tony1988: I've done that in the past; accidentally got the Prime trial then immediately cancelled it. I still had the month of Prime, but then my cancellation kicked in.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've run into this, too. At some point in the process, you have to click on "I don't want Prime" or however they phrase it, but it's not obvious. I agree that a trial shouldn't be the default on checkout.
It is in pale blue right near the end of the ordering.
I agree, OPT IN as a default is a bit much.
Remember the lessons from the Defense Against the Dark Arts:
Constant Vigilance
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I’ve got Prime, so I don’t encounter that issue, but I still bump up against not having Prime Pantry. Occasionally I want to order a non-perishable food item, something like CoffeeMate or coffee, and think I finally found a decent price but then notice it is only for Prime Pantry members. I have to be careful not to accidentally get sign up for PP buy making the purchase. I think Amazon might be hoping that we are so busy and in a rush that we won’t notice the tactics. I suspect some people might not understand that "free trials" often come with a bill after the trial ends unless you cancel, and so they wind up getting billed a month later. a lot of companies are doing similar things, but they shouldn't without being a lot more clear about it. Another gotcha from Amazon is the subscription service which I’m not sure exactly what it is, but you see a decent price then notice it is only good if you subscribe to getting the item on a regular basis. I see this a lot with things like cat food. You have to select the non-subscription button to avoid getting subscribed to that item, and of course you have to pay more.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Funny this should pop up now. They got a rap over the knuckles for people accidentally signing up for Prime in the UK just this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50234143
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just had this pop up on the first order of a new account I set up for work, but I have to admit I didn't feel that opting out of it was any sort of a hardship. I knew the option had to be there somewhere, so I looked for it and found it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just had this pop up on the first order of a new account I set up for work, but I have to admit I didn't feel that opting out of it was any sort of a hardship. I knew the option had to be there somewhere, so I looked for it and found it.
It gets old having to do it for every order.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Another gotcha from Amazon is the subscription service which I’m not sure exactly what it is, but you see a decent price then notice it is only good if you subscribe to getting the item on a regular basis. I see this a lot with things like cat food. You have to select the non-subscription button to avoid getting subscribed to that item, and of course you have to pay more.
I buy the subscription items to get the discount. After it arrives, I cancel the subscription.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It gets old having to do it for every order.
I'd agree. But I haven't had to do that myself. Once seemed to be enough (for now). Besides ... I was merely commenting on the the notion that the option to say no was difficult to find (or non-existant), not whether it was, or wasn't, annoying to have to do it. I'm never in a hurry to place orders anyway. Double-checking that all the right boxes are ticked/unticked has always been in my best interest on the internet. Still beats getting dressed and driving to the store, IMO.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote