Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
oaciu1977
oaciu1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
What should I get, Kindle 3 or Kindle 4?

Hi,

I was going to buy a Kindle 4 but then I've read a review from a guy who disassembled one to find out you can't replace its battery (everything is glued together). I know that batteries die in a couple of years and I wouldn't want to throw it away in 2-3 years just because of the battery. Would Kindle 3 be a better option from this point of view or am I being worried for nothing?

Thanks
oaciu1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaciu1977 View Post
Hi,

I was going to buy a Kindle 4 but then I've read a review from a guy who disassembled one to find out you can't replace its battery (everything is glued together). I know that batteries die in a couple of years and I wouldn't want to throw it away in 2-3 years just because of the battery. Would Kindle 3 be a better option from this point of view or am I being worried for nothing?

Thanks
I doubt the battery would die in two years on either unit. I would go with the one that suits your reading needs best. They are both great readers. I own them both.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Personally the lack of audio on the k4 is the killer, its nice to load a few CDs and not have to take an MP3 player with me. It's not the perfect player by any means but it is nice to have.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Fortunately, I just have a Kindle for reading books. I personally hated the keyboard on K3. I couldn't read the key designations and using it was a pain. I don't listen to music while I read, I don't check email while I read, I just read. So, I have the K3 and a Kindle Basic. I read with both but I prefer the Kindle Basic.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
By the time the battery dies, the cost of a replacement reader will be less, and the features will be more. Buy the reader you would rather have and use. Personally, that's a Kindle Keyboard (aka, K3), but YMMV. I use the keyboard fairly often. The Touch models might be an option, but I honestly prefer the keyboard at this point.

Also, Amazon will undoubtedly have a way to send your K4 in for battery replacement if it becomes an issue and you don't want to upgrade to a newer model. Buy the Kindle you want to use.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
oaciu1977
oaciu1977 began at the beginning.

Thanks for the advices, everybody. I'll go with Kindle 4, since I don't really need a keyboard.
oaciu1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I got a 4 because the ergonomics is right for putting it in a drybag to read the few books I get from Amazon in the bathtub. The keyboard model would be too easy to unintendedly mash button on.

Also, I am hoping the special offer software will eventually be tailored to my wishlist and act as a cupon service from Amazon. I am okay with adds the way they have been implemented on the SO machines.

Last edited by Phogg; 10-16-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon on Facebook yesterday mention an upcoming special offer on 50% off Kindle covers so anyone with a K4SO might want to wait on buying those expensive covers! I've already got mine picked out seeing I'm not getting another E-Ink reader I need a better cover for traveling.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
AKAIK, the k3 battery isn't user-replaceable, either?

In my opinion, though, if I were to get 2-3 years of use out of the device, I'd consider my $140 well spent, and, when or if the battery did become an issue, I'd just replace the entire thing. Just my opinion.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Amazon on Facebook yesterday mention an upcoming special offer on 50% off Kindle covers so anyone with a K4SO might want to wait on buying those expensive covers! I've already got mine picked out seeing I'm not getting another E-Ink reader I need a better cover for traveling.
Darn, I just bought a timbuk2 cover!

edit: NVM, I'm in Canada, so I don't think I would have qualified for SO anyways (even though I have a K4SO)
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
Darn, I just bought a timbuk2 cover!

edit: NVM, I'm in Canada, so I don't think I would have qualified for SO anyways (even though I have a K4SO)
Are you sure it's a Special offers K4? I thought only the $109 regular K4 was available outside of the U.S.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
To the OP, my advice would be: yes ��. It's kind of like asking whether you should get Mexican or Chinese takeout for dinner. It all depends on what you want. Me, I can't live without text to speech. If you haven't bought one yet, I'm guessing value will be most important for you, so go with a K4nt.

Don't worry about the battery, Amazon has great support if you have problems.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you sure it's a Special offers K4? I thought only the $109 regular K4 was available outside of the U.S.
Yes, I live in Vancouver, Canada very close to the border, so I ordered the K4SO and shipped to Pt Roberts, WA and picked it up from there
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
Yes, I live in Vancouver, Canada very close to the border, so I ordered the K4SO and shipped to Pt Roberts, WA and picked it up from there
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the special offers then if you are using a U.S. Amazon account. Someone else may know more.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
I just bought a K3 this weekend. The guy at BB though I am weird because I chose K3 than K4. To me the choice is clear -- I need to input notes while reading, so K4 won't work for me.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote