Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
2019 Kindle Fire 10

Who has the new 2019 Kindle Fire 10? I'm thinking of getting one for Black Friday. They will be on sale for $100, and with my trade in I should be able to get it for $70. Lately I've been using my Nexus 7 to read Kindle books. I wonder if the Fire 10 will be too large to comfortably read on? Will I hate it? I'm relying on that 30 day return window. But then I'd lose my trade in, unless it could be applied elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope if someone here has one, they will post their opinions of it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm not really in the market, but I do have an old Fire HD8 I could trade in for a spanking new device, if it seemed worth it. But a dealbreaker for me would be the ability to sideload Google Play; Chrome and a few other apps are just too darned convenient not to have. I think Amazon was supposed to be locking down their newer Fires?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i am planning to get one. I sold my 2017 HD10 ( which was fine for reading on) in preparation for an upgrade.
but google services will be a factor. they were fine on 2017 &I have not read any reports ( good or bad) about running them on the 2019 model. I am hoping no news is good news and that there would be mentions on tech sites if new blocks were in place
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS good for reading on using 2 column landscape. maybe too wide for eyes to comfortably take in a complete line in single page portrait mode
Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I found the following article persuasive. I wasn't really in the market for the new HD 10 anyway, but now I won't be tempted by bargain madness. Don't get me wrong; I don't have any anti-Fire bias as my HD 8 is one of my most-used devices, but now I'd only get the HD 10 if it filled a real need, i.e., one of my current gadgets went paws up. While I'm also not in the market for any kind of iPad at any price, I'll be better off taking the long view and planning to get a real Android replacement tablet down the line.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...eatures-photos
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

my reason for getting new one is that I have had close to 2 years daily use of the battery on the 2017 HD 10, [so that's maybe 50% of the battery lifespan used up) .

Because I bought it in an earlier black Friday sale, I was able to sell it on ebay for close to what i paid ( by selling in-between amazon sales)

so I plan to pick one up at end on month and maybe repeat the process again next year.
I kept my case as I believe the 2017 case is still compatible with the 2019 tablet.

and they are good budget tablets for grandchildren who don't need or appreciate the more expensive features of other models.

I just wish sticking on a bubble-free screen protector was less traumatic - I may give that a miss this time around.

I also previously had a HD 8 but it was too small to really suit me
Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/amazon-fire-hd-10-2019
they liked it

also, a different review claims that netflix streams at 1080p ( vs 720p on the previous model)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think the Verge reviewer, in comparing the Fire to an ipad, is the wrong approach. Of course it's not going to compare. Although I may have read some things that indicate this is supposed to be a similar product, of course it isn't.

I want it for the high resolution and the cheap price. It has the same resolution as my 2013 Nexus 7, but more storage, with SD card option. The Nexus has a great screen for reading on. Compared side by side with my Fire 8 (1200x800) the NExus screen is far superior. So I am going to trade in the crappy Fire 8 and rely on the 30 day return guarantee!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

there was one annoyance with the 2017 HD10, that was not present on the previous HDX models:
it was that if an email was incoming while streaming amazon video, the video would pause for a couple of seconds. I found no way to stop that. Maybe the new model with its octa processor will be able to cope with doing 2 things at once! It never happened on any of my pure android tablets
Old 11-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #10
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to trade in by 2017 HD10 for a 32gb White one when they go on sale for $99 11/22. I've liked the 2017 but this one is faster and can hold a 512gb SD Card, which I've picked up. I have a 12.9 Ipad but I find the HD10 a better size for reading comics in bed.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

will whoever gets one first please try adding google services and report back.

confirmation that it still works, using the 2017 process, , or a heads up that it does not, will be much appreciated
Old 11-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

another decent review here
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews...10-2019-review

but if its being bought mainly as a reader, then an anti-glare screen protector maybe a wise addition

i like the idea of screen protectors, I hate the stress of actually applying them.
there is surely a market for manufacturers to offer ; pay £x more and we will ship it with a perfectly applied bubble-free protector ( unless they cant figure out how to get zero bubbles either !
I have found with several tablets, that watching videos while propped up in bed works better if you rig up some larger thing to put behind the device, to keep outide light/ window reflections away. A 12 inch square black foam tile , cut to slot around the tablet, works well
Old 11-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I don't use screen protectors on any of my eink screens (or any other screens). Don't all tablets have more robust screens than any eink screen?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

The HD 10 has a hardened glass screen, yes, as do my other tablets.
that's great for anti-scratch and easy wipe but no defence against glare
Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

ps - for my own use, I don't use or need screen protectors either, just a microfibre cloth.
but for devices for young children, they are a must have

a tablet with no anti glare protection is absolutely useless in sunlight - I don't know if an suitable screen can make one useable