Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 02:32 PM   #1
Chinook1544
Green Grass Newbie
Chinook1544 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre for Audio Books

With my eyesight failing, I have to resort to Audio books. That begs the question of how to manage an audio book library. So, is there anything for audio books that is even half as useful/good as Calibre is for eBooks?
Chinook1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:58 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook1544 View Post
is there anything for audio books that is even half as useful/good as Calibre is for eBooks?

Any reason you can't use Calibre for audio books? You won't be using the built-in reader, but the database and library don't care about the content of the files they manage.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 02-16-2024 at 10:00 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2024, 09:55 AM   #3
Chinook1544
Green Grass Newbie

I didn't realize that I could use Calibre with audiobooks until just recently. But, that said, I'm not sure that mixing regular epubs with audio books in a single database would be smart/appropriate.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would have separate libraries. One for eBooks and one for audiobooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:02 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can also use Kodi for Audiobooks... https://kodi.wiki/view/Audiobooks
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2024, 12:07 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Any reason you can't use Calibre for audio books? You won't be using the built-in reader, but the database and library don't care about the content of the files they manage.

ApK
But it's so much extra work. Calibre isn't reading the metadata for my audiobook files; it's just adding the file name. And if the audiobook is chapterized, it's even more of a hassle.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:04 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But it's so much extra work. Calibre isn't reading the metadata for my audiobook files; it's just adding the file name. And if the audiobook is chapterized, it's even more of a hassle.
I found a few mentions here on MR of folks putting their audiobooks in zip files for use in Calibre and also someone who created a plug in to make use of audiobook playlists. I've never found the need to try Calibre for audiobooks personally. I just keep my audiobooks in folders by author.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:08 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I found a few mentions here on MR of folks putting their audiobooks in zip files for use in Calibre and also someone who created a plug in to make use of audiobook playlists. I've never found the need to try Calibre for audiobooks personally. I just keep my audiobooks in folders by author.
I use Libation to convert the Audible books to m4b and archive them in folders by author/series/book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:16 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I use Libation to convert the Audible books to m4b and archive them in folders by author/series/book.
I've just downloaded and setup Libation. Thanks for the heads up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:00 PM   #10
Chinook1544
Green Grass Newbie

I just downloaded Libation and will be trying it out tonight. And, I'll be setting up my "library" as suggested by CRussel.
Thank you all for the suggestions and solutions
Old 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does Libation convert aax files? I tried to set it up to convert some Audible UK books I bought today, and it finds my UK library, but says the titles not downloaded (they ARE downloaded on my PC), and then says it can't download them. Huh?

ETA: Never mind. I am quickly giving up on Libation. The whole thing seems way too confusing.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-21-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:06 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
How does Libation convert aax files? I tried to set it up to convert some Audible UK books I bought today, and it finds my UK library, but says the titles not downloaded (they ARE downloaded on my PC), and then says it can't download them. Huh?

ETA: Never mind. I am quickly giving up on Libation. The whole thing seems way too confusing.
Could be it gets confused when you are traveling libraries. Mine indicates where it comes from so it seems like it should handle it. Dunno. I don't use it as I haven't figured out how to disable auto conversion.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Could be it gets confused when you are traveling libraries. Mine indicates where it comes from so it seems like it should handle it. Dunno. I don't use it as I haven't figured out how to disable auto conversion.
It can handle multiple libraries. I have a legacy username account, an AmazonUS account, and an AmazonUK account. All are downloaded as expected. As for auto-conversion, I'm not sure what you mean. The whole point of Libation is to create a DRM-Free, archival, copy of your Audible library. To do that, it must remove the DRM and "convert" the file to M4B (or MP3 if you insist). The M4B format is essentially the same as the .aax/.aaxc format, but with the DRM removed. If all you want to do is listen to your books using the Audible application, you don't need Libation. If you want to archive your books and remove the DRM, you do.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:33 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It can handle multiple libraries. I have a legacy username account, an AmazonUS account, and an AmazonUK account. All are downloaded as expected. As for auto-conversion, I'm not sure what you mean. The whole point of Libation is to create a DRM-Free, archival, copy of your Audible library. To do that, it must remove the DRM and "convert" the file to M4B (or MP3 if you insist). The M4B format is essentially the same as the .aax/.aaxc format, but with the DRM removed. If all you want to do is listen to your books using the Audible application, you don't need Libation. If you want to archive your books and remove the DRM, you do.
I was trying to test it out with a few new books from Audible UK; that was the only account I set it up to use. And it did see all the books in that account--from the online account itself, not what was on my computer. I just couldn't figure out what to do from that point, since it wouldn't recognize they were downloaded, or re-download them. I never reached the point of trying to convert them, or otherwise try to use any library management options.

I went back to aaxtomp3 to convert and will continue to use my own spreadsheet and file system for audiobook library management.

It's too bad that Calibre doesn't have a plug-in that would read metadata and covers from Audible. That option would make it really useful.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:05 AM   #15
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
There's also OpenAudible. It's similar to Libation, but more user friendly.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote