Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
ernietdd
ernietdd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How do I download the books from tor

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind my beginner questions.

I ordered a kindle 2/13 but don't expect it for some time.

I also odered the free books from tor and downloaded the mobipocket program. So, how do I download my first Tor book so that I can put it on my kindle as soon as it arrives.

BTW, science fiction is such a wierd genre, with so many subgenres some of which I find unreadable and others I can't do without that I never buy a SF book without having read one of the authors previous books for free (like from the library) but when I find an author I like I run out and buy everything else he or she wrote. So this will give me a chance to meet new authors and give Tor a buyer.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
ernietdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You should get an email from Tor.There will be a link in the email.

If you haven't signed up yet, then go here:

www.tor.com
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Once you get the email from Tor there will be a link or links to the book. Starting this week the free book was offered in 3 formats. Download the MOBI book. Once you get the Kindle it's simply a matter of dragging and dropping the file onto the Kindle when the Kindle is connected to your computer via the USB. Be sure to drop it into the documents folder and it should show up once you disconnect from your computer.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Call me supercompulsive or an idiot but I've also taken one extra step. I've gone through around 10 different computers over the past 12 years online, some have crashed and lost my data, with some others I've been able to save it before ditching the computer for a new one.

Anyway, the Tor downloads are not available after a certain time limit. In addition to saving the file on my Apple, I've been emailing the file to my Hotmail account. That way in 5 years or so I'll still have access to the book file even if this old computer is dust.

Any web-based email account would do such as Gmail or Yahoo. I just don't trust my computer to last indefinitely and would rather be safe than sorry.

It's not needed to do this, but these books are so good that I want to make sure I have a permanent copy on file since it is a limited offer from Tor.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
It's not needed to do this, but these books are so good that I want to make sure I have a permanent copy on file since it is a limited offer from Tor.
I have a "three stage" process:

1. My eBooks (roughly 15000 or so at present) are all in an "eBooks" folder on my hard disk. Within that, I have one folder per author ("Lastname, Firstname"), within that I have one folder per book (the book's title), and finally within that, all the files associated with the book.

2. Every weekend, I copy the entire "eBooks" folder to an external USB hard disk (which, except when it's being used, is kept in a separate place from the computer).

3. About once a month, I back the lot up to DVD (which currently takes 4 DVDs) and keep those in my desk at work.

My eBooks really are now one of my most "precious possessions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I need to back my eBooks up to DVD or CD depending on the amount. Right now, I have my eBooks backed up to another drive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Thinking of an hotmail account as a longterm backup seems a little bit strange from here...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I backup both on hard drive and copy my library to a CF chip and every 6 months or so put it in a bank deposit box. That way I have fire/windstorm protection as well...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Back up to an external hard drive weekly.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
I've back-upped mine on dvd
13500 sci-fi and fantasy books
and torrented them as well
so if my my house burns down
I can always get them back
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
I've back-upped mine on dvd
13500 sci-fi and fantasy books
and torrented them as well
so if my my house burns down
I can always get them back
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "torrented"?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "torrented"?
I assume torrented as in Bit Torrent.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I assume torrented as in Bit Torrent.
Yes, I understood that bit. What I don't understand is how this constitutes a backup mechanism? I presume that the previous poster is not saying that he illegally uploads copyrighted material to the internet, but having ruled that out, I can't think how one could backup material using BT. Hence the request for elaboration.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
That was just a joke, in the same vein as "and I just rename my backups as <some nasty XXX keywords.avi> and share it in Kazaa - this way it's available forever".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I see .