Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
Scatershot
Scatershot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cannot install Calibre Server in Ubuntu 20.04 - script keeps grabbing python3.8

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I am trying to set up Calibre server on a headless server. To test everything and work out general issues, I am first trying to install it on a raspberry pi. Later I will install it on my main home server which is also running Ubuntu 20.04. This is my first attempt at running
Calibre server on a headless system.

System: Raspberry Pi
OS: Ubuntu 20.04 - no alterations, just a clean install
python version...
xxx@xxx:~$ python --version
Python 2.7.18rc1
xxx@xxx:~$ python3 --version
Python 3.8.2
It would appear that Ubuntu installs both versions automatically.

Command used for installing:
sudo -v && wget --no-check-certificate -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
(But I get the same error no matter which version of the installer I use)

Error:
Downloaded 102399576 bytes
Checking downloaded file integrity...
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "<string>", line 800, in script_launch
File "<string>", line 756, in main
File "<string>", line 707, in run_installer
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 340, in call
with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as p:
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 854, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 1702, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error: '/opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall'

The problem:
It seems that Ubuntu server 20.04 has two versions of python installed and the script is grabbing python3.8 instead of python2.7 probably because that is set as the system default.
I really don't want to change the system's default settings as this will mess up system scripts. Is there a way to force the Calibre installer to grab the correct version of python?
Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre prebuilt binaries are not built for ARM, they wont work on a Pi. You have to build form source or use a distro package, preferably archlinuxARM. Also the isntaller should be giving a useful error message for this, for some reason detection of ARM on your system is failing. What is the output of:

python -c "import os; print(os.uname())"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Scatershot
Scatershot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Per your request...
xxx@xxx:~$ python -c "import os; print(os.uname())"
('Linux', 'ubuntu', '5.4.0-1011-raspi', '#11-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 8 07:43:33 UTC 2020', 'aarch64')

I hope this helps you with your programming. Seems I may have stumbled upon a 'bug' of sorts.
Well now that I know it will not work on an ARM system, I guess I shall grab another system that has an intel miniITX motherboard and try again.
Thank you for the clarification.
Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can use the version of calibre which is provided by your distro repository, but beware that not all distro packages are built correctly, and most of them are out of date.

I recommend the use of archlinuxarm, since I maintain the calibre packages in upstream archlinux and I know they are good. Also, archlinux and therefore archlinuxarm tends to always have extremely up to date versions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre server, python issue