Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
what is your choice of android app for audiobooks

Hi everyone,

I'm reading about a lot of apps (preferably free or one-time purchase of app) and would like to see what folks here prefer to use?

I started this search because I realized sometimes I am to tired to read, but really like to "listen" to stories. So I do have Overdrive, and have a few books in audio from both my library, and another free membership at a larger library in my State, Sonoma County Library if anyone is interested. Signs you up for 3 months I think it is! Very, good deal

I am looking for an app for my android phone though as it has the best sound.

Any ideas for me to try? I just downloaded one called Audio Books from Audible from the Googe Play Store so far, to try out

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Edit: forget the Audio Books from Audible, it's Amazon and I am trying to be done with them. I just opened the app and sure enough, it's Amazon behind it.

Last edited by abbynormal52; 10-13-2019 at 11:47 AM.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm reading about a lot of apps (preferably free or one-time purchase of app) and would like to see what folks here prefer to use?

I started this search because I realized sometimes I am to tired to read, but really like to "listen" to stories. So I do have Overdrive, and have a few books in audio from both my library, and another free membership at a larger library in my State, Sonoma County Library if anyone is interested. Signs you up for 3 months I think it is! Very, good deal

I am looking for an app for my android phone though as it has the best sound.
I am perfectly content listening to OverDrive books with the OverDrive Android app on my Android devices. The controls are satisfactory if not quite as good as Audible's and I don't see what else you'd need. It's certainly good enough not to be worth the nuisance of downloading an OverDrive Book and then sideloading it to an app.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I mostly use Audible but for those files that are not from there I Voice Audiobook Player which has a simple minimalist interface that I like and can play a variety of formats.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
That is certainly a good app I use everyday on my Kindle, but sometimes the books aren't available at the library. So I am thinking something else to be a sort of backup app I do have Overdrive on my Android though, it's number 1 for me as well.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I also use Voice -- it works well, but does require you to load the book onto the device first. I'd prefer something that could do its own load from a Cloud provider -- on my iPhone I use Bound, which allows me to load directly from my OneDrive. Of course, my first and primary audiobook reader on both Android and iPhone is Audible.

ETA: Another one I've used is Smart Audiobook Player. Works well, with a full-featured trial, and then $1.99 or revert to a somewhat stupider version. Even the stupid version works well, but if you're on a device that doesn't have the Google App Store, it's your only choice -- the $1.99 can only be done through the App Store.

Last edited by CRussel; 10-13-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added Smart Audiobook Player
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think I must have misunderstood you. Where else are you getting audiobooks? I thought you were looking for a way to play your OverDrive books, but it seems you're looking for an audiobook store that's not Audible?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I don't read a lot of audiobooks but I have used the paid (non "stupid" ) version of Smart Audiobook Player for years on a number of different phones and tablets over that time.

It does the job, is well maintained with frequent updates and is widely used, so probably worth having a look at.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-17-2019 at 07:08 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Smart Audiobook Player is an excellent app for Android. It is free. No ads. No bothersome popups trying to get you to pay anything. You can pay $2.00 to add a few extra features that you probably don't really need (an equalizer, speed adjustment, etc.) It is worth paying this small amount just to support the developer, as this is really an excellent app.

This is a great app if you already have audiobooks as MP3 files. Just transfer those to your device and Smart Audiobook Player will play them. Many of the audiobook apps tie you into their specific store so that you have to buy your audiobooks from them (e.g., Audible). Smart Audiobook Player does not tie you in like this however.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...layer&hl=en_US
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Your post reminded me to correct the app's name in my post .

I did the same and supported the developer, it is well worth the couple of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Smart Audiobook Player is an excellent app for Android. It is free. No ads. No bothersome popups trying to get you to pay anything. You can pay $2.00 to add a few extra features that you probably don't really need (an equalizer, speed adjustment, etc.) It is worth paying this small amount just to support the developer, as this is really an excellent app.

This is a great app if you already have audiobooks as MP3 files. Just transfer those to your device and Smart Audiobook Player will play them. Many of the audiobook apps tie you into their specific store so that you have to buy your audiobooks from them (e.g., Audible). Smart Audiobook Player does not tie you in like this however.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...layer&hl=en_US
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I use it based on source. I used to have an Audible account so use that when want to play my several unread books. I have Scribd account now, and use that app when I listen to theirs. On the other hand, I have Smart Audiobook Player for when listening to other sources.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #11
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I also use Smart Audiobook Player. I've tried many apps but none of them worked like I wanted/needed to. The interface is also clean and looks nice. So I didn't even hesitate buying the pro version.

The developer is also super nice and replies to questions.

Sent from my myA17 using Tapatalk
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Smart Audiobook Player (paid app) on my tablet.

It offers addition of info dot txt file in each book listing.
I can't remember book synopsis by title alone so the info file tells me.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
infectious
infectious began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
I started with Mort Audiobook player, liked it's slimness, bought the app (which are all subscription now it seems), and haven't looked elsewhere since.
infectious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:46 AM   #14
naisren
Enthusiast
naisren began at the beginning.

Device: ppc
I tried many apps for audiobooks, Sirin is my favorite one on Android. it is free to try on google play. click here.
naisren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
Snodgrass
Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, nook
I think I've tried most of them over the years. Smart is very good. And free.

I've recently moved to Listen, which I find even better. The only downside is the name - too generic for many Google searches.
Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote