Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's around 27-28GB usable space after OS and binary/decimal discrepancy.

Interestingly enough, for the Oasis 2, Amazon JP estimates only 650 manga volumes on the 32GB model and 140 on the 8GB one.
With the extra 24GB holding 510 manga, that gives an average ~47MB per manga.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #47
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
With the extra 24GB holding 510 manga, that gives an average ~47MB per manga.
Note, that's just an extra ~22GiB (1GiB = 1,073,741,824 bytes).

I'm actually curious what size files are getting sent to the Oasis 2. It seems pretty random on the Paperwhite.

For example, Yona of the Dawn series show 100MB+ per volume on the product pages. However, file size on the devices don't match.
  • Download & transfer via USB (azw3): vol 1-6 & 8-10 are fairly consistently ~40-45MB each, only vol 7 is ~100MB
  • Direct download from device (kfx): two of the volumes are ~100MB (will have to check which ones) and the rest range from 35-50MB

I still have a backup of my (traded in) PW2 documents folder somewhere. Gonna check what file sizes are on those.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #48
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The 32 GB Paperwhite IMO should be sold worldwide, labeled as a large files version. Have it recommended for graphics intensive files such as comics, many recipe books and Manga files. Have it sold with a listing for the maximum number of files that Amazon recommends.

At the Woot price it was offered for I ordered a white one.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #49
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
At the Woot price it was offered for I ordered a white one.
As did I, and it was delivered without special offers!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ordered the Paperwhite Manga Model from Woot Mon, received Wed. After jailbreaking, placed another order Thursday but just received an email this morning that they can't fulfill the order and I've been refunded. Sad I couldn't get a spare.
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Ordered the Paperwhite Manga Model from Woot Mon, received Wed. After jailbreaking, placed another order Thursday but just received an email this morning that they can't fulfill the order and I've been refunded. Sad I couldn't get a spare.
Sorry to hear that, it's always frustrating when you think you've got an order in and they cancel it. But they may come back again. This was the second round, hopefully there will be a third.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The 32 GB Paperwhite IMO should be sold worldwide, labeled as a large files version. Have it recommended for graphics intensive files such as comics, many recipe books and Manga files. Have it sold with a listing for the maximum number of files that Amazon recommends.
I agree. But I guess Amazon has a whole crew of marketers who would try to tell why it's not a good idea.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not surprising. The screen is bigger allowing a higher resolution to be delivered to Oasis 2.
Doesn't seem to be the case in practice:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295611

Anyone here have the 8GB and/or 32GB Oasis 2? What's the actual storage available to the user?

Paperwhite 3 4GB: 3GB
Paperwhite 3 32GB: 27.5GB
Old 03-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 32GB Oasis has 27.29GB of storage space available to the user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 32GB Oasis has 27.29GB of storage space available to the user.
Thank you very much! Almost the same then. Difference is likely just due to when the devices were released. I expect Amazon couldn't very well downgrade the Paperwhite 32GB's description to "holds 650 manga volumes".

That said, I agree with Richwood, would be nice if the PW3 Manga was available in other countries including US, too (probably $139.99-149.99 w/SO). Alas, the only Kindle option for high storage capacity right now is the 32GB Oasis 2 for $279.99+.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #56
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My 32 GB white Paperwhite arrived today, Sunday, from Woot. Looks to be new condition but been powered down or deregistered for a while as it was well down in firmware revision. I did not note the number but it was a 2016 revision per the what's new blurb. Arrived without special offers too, saving $20 to disable them. No differences noted other than the amount of memory. Not a visible scratch on it. Wi-Fi only and 32 GB are printed on the back of the unit. Woot sold units are NOT pre registered but no problem registering it.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #57
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
My 32 GB white Paperwhite arrived today, Sunday, from Woot. Looks to be new condition but been powered down or deregistered for a while as it was well down in firmware revision. I did not note the number but it was a 2016 revision per the what's new blurb. Arrived without special offers too, saving $20 to disable them. No differences noted other than the amount of memory. Not a visible scratch on it. Wi-Fi only and 32 GB are printed on the back of the unit. Woot sold units are NOT pre registered but no problem registering it.
This was exactly my experience with my PW3 32GB purchase from Woot.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #58
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
The Manga also has a faster processor. i bought one for my wife as an upgrade to her regular paperwhite, and it is a bit more responsive.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The Manga also has a faster processor. i bought one for my wife as an upgrade to her regular paperwhite, and it is a bit more responsive.
Maybe the older firmware is faster then the newer firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Did she have a PW3? The PW3 certainly has a faster CPU than the PW2 did but, to the best of my knowledge, there's no difference between the "Manga" PW3 and the standard version other than the amount of storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote