Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book will get a second chance this year?
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2) by Ben Aaronovitch 3 18.75%
Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon #1) by Nevada Barr 2 12.50%
Lardner on the Loose (collected short fiction) by Ring Lardner 4 25.00%
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell 3 18.75%
The Man of Property by John Galsworthy 6 37.50%
The Light of Day by Eric Ambler 2 12.50%
In Times Like These: A Time Travel Adventure by Nathan van Coops 3 18.75%
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach 5 31.25%
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe 0 0%
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator) 0 0%
The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean 2 12.50%
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers 8 50.00%
Breakup (Kate Shugak #7) by Dana Stabenow 1 6.25%
The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945 by Ian Kershaw 3 18.75%
The Magic City by Edith Nesbit 6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Agree with you about David Case and Nadia May, two of my top three narrators. My OD libraries have the Nadia May, an option for the cheapskates (of which I am one). Also, the US Kindle edition was only 99¢ the last time I checked.
I listened to the 5 minute segments from both Case and McCaddon (May). I think I'm going with the David Case version. His plummy Lord Peter is just perfect.

You do know that David Case and Wanda McCaddon were partners in their audio work, right? Until, of course, Case died of throat cancer. Apparently Ms. McCaddon introduced him to the business.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interestingly, both the David Case and the Nadia May (Wanda McCaddon) versions are available in the BC Public Library AND NO WAITS! I think I'll grab the Nadia May one first, because I might just get the David Case one directly on Audible, given that it's on sale at 50% off right now.
Advert
Old 12-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post

I think, but I'm not certain, that all libraries that use Hoopla have access to the full catalog.
Yes, and no waiting, either. Thanks for the heads up, because if Hoopla has Davidson/Case, I'll go with him. He's my favorite Wodehouse narrator and there are obvious similarities in subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Wow, there are 4 different audio versions and 2 different ebook versions at one of my libraries. All have wait lists.

I rarely listen to audiobooks unless I have a trip but I may try the David Case audio, I like Wanda McCaddon/Nadia May too but it sounds like a good opportunity to possibly add a new favorite.
Do you have Hoopla? Two of my libraries have it; they're my big city ones. Much as I like Nadia May, I think a male voice will work better here. And see my Wodehouse comment, above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I listened to the 5 minute segments from both Case and McCaddon (May). I think I'm going with the David Case version. His plummy Lord Peter is just perfect.
That's what Davidson does better than anyone.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hoopla has three different audiobook versions.

1. Roe Kendall
2. Frederick Davidson
3. Nadia May
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hoopla has three different audiobook versions.

1. Roe Kendall
2. Frederick Davidson
3. Nadia May
Thanks, Jon. I'll definitely be giving Frederick Davidson/David Case a listen.
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Jon. I'll definitely be giving Frederick Davidson/David Case a listen.
Is he better than Nadia May? If so, how is he better?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #37
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I'm going with kindle book and audible companion with Nadia May, just to be a bit different from you David Case ones
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Is he better than Nadia May? If so, how is he better?
I wouldn't say he's better, especially since he and Nadia May are two of my favorite three narrators. It's mostly the gender issue; the majority of the characters in Whose Body? are men and transgender voicing is always a compromise. But then, too, Davidson is particularly good at "silly ass" type voices.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'd agree. On any given book, I might prefer Nadia May/Donada Peters/Wanda McCaddon, but for Lord Peter Wimsey, David Case's voice is a better fit. And both are in my too 4 or 5 narrators.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I've completed my Audible listen to Whose Body, narrated by David Case. An excellent narration, and I look forward to the discussion. I expect to re-read the eBook before then, just to catch things I didn't catch in the Audible book.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #41
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I just started reading.... hoping to finish the book in a couple of days, and then listen to the audio book on my commute next week
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I had known about the anti-semitic comments in Whose Body?, I never would have voted for it. I would have said it's offensive before it was up for the vote in the first place.

Can we dump this book and pick a different one?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
If I had known about the anti-semitic comments in Whose Body?, I never would have voted for it. I would have said it's offensive before it was up for the vote in the first place.

Can we dump this book and pick a different one?
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Books with biased descriptions and dialogues aren't limited to anti-Semitism; only white male protestants would rarely run across something offensive. Citing anti-Semitism as a deal-breaker in the context of a literary tradition which is guaranteed to offend most people if they choose to be offended by something written decades ago shows a different set of blinders, frankly.

Look at the book in the context of its time and bring the topic of anti-Semitism to the discussion, where it will be both valid and interesting. Don't shy away from talking about it, which seems counter-productive to me. If it's unacceptable, make a point of it.

I, personally, find the depiction of women in early Star Trek to be extremely offensive. And yet I know there are Star Trek fans here.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

One more point; consider whether the anti-Semitism is a reflection of the characters' attitudes in the early 20s, the author's attitude, or both.

I'll leave it at that. The discussion's still nearly a month away.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #45
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
One more point; consider whether the anti-Semitism is a reflection of the characters' attitudes in the early 20s, the author's attitude, or both.

I'll leave it at that. The discussion's still nearly a month away.
And feel free to look at the author's later works, including non-fiction, and bring that to the discussion.