Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
The extra functions would waste battery which would be better spent on reading.
I like the option of being able to carry podcasts on my Reader. I'm very rarely going to use the audio features, but I like the fact that I can.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
I am another aficionado of Threadwords and Everyword on my older Kindles. They make a nice occasional break from reading. More complicated games, Pirate's Booty and some others, were also available for Kindle but were not as interesting. I played them once and they languish in my Archives somewhere.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There are apps that are very similar to EveryWord, Jumbline for example.

But I've been unable to find an app anything like ThreadWords.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've never wanted those functions on my reader, because it's just that, a READER.
Those who utilise https://bard.loc.gov/ find the ability to play mp3 files vital.
Screenreaders don't always do ebooks justice.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #20
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Why e-readers no longer have any extra features comes down to the way the hardware and software are designed to preform it's primary function--displaying eBooks. They use the slowest, lowest power using CPUs and the minimum amount of system memory (RAM) necessary to keep the cost down. Adding any extra hardware features (MP3/audio-book playback, ability to play games, or a non crappy web browser) would significantly increase hardware cost. Plus e-reader software is designed to put the hardware into an extreme sleep state when there is no user interaction taking place--turning pages, browsing for a book, changing settings, etc. This is how they can get such long battery lives out of a very small battery (again keeping costs down). Adding any extra features that only a very small subset of purchasers would use would raise the cost of the hardware too much.

E-readers also have a very low profit margin, so the major sellers of them are more interested in selling the books for those readers which are where the profits come from.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Why e-readers no longer have any extra features comes down to the way the hardware and software are designed to preform it's primary function--displaying eBooks. They use the slowest, lowest power using CPUs and the minimum amount of system memory (RAM) necessary to keep the cost down. Adding any extra hardware features (MP3/audio-book playback, ability to play games, or a non crappy web browser) would significantly increase hardware cost. Plus e-reader software is designed to put the hardware into an extreme sleep state when there is no user interaction taking place--turning pages, browsing for a book, changing settings, etc. This is how they can get such long battery lives out of a very small battery (again keeping costs down). Adding any extra features that only a very small subset of purchasers would use would raise the cost of the hardware too much.

E-readers also have a very low profit margin, so the major sellers of them are more interested in selling the books for those readers which are where the profits come from.
The problem with this is that, the cheapest Kindle, the Kindle Basic (8th Generation) still uses pretty much the same speed CPU as the original Kindles, has the ability to play audio files over Bluetooth and has a web browser. There's no reason why it couldn't have some small "kindlet" type games that Kindles used to use. These are not battery intensive games.

But I'm not arguing for browsers or adding games, I just think that the ability to play podcasts is a nice addition to an eReader. The old eReaders could do it, there's no reason why the new ones couldn't as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you think about when eReaders first came out, tablets were expensive and heavy, and smart phones weren't yet everywhere. Nowadays, I suspect if someone wants more than just a reader, they'd just buy a smallish tablet instead. Or play their games on their smart phones.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #23
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I can't listen to music while I read, unless the music is only instrumental with no lyrics. If there are lyrics, I can't focus on either the book or the music.
I'm the same way.

In theory, it sounds like a good idea to have some quiet classical to listen to while reading. In practice, I get absorbed in reading and don't bother with the music.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
They did the same with the Kindle. I have a couple of games and notepad applications that I bought with my Kindle Keyboard. They work with the Kindle 4 and the Kindle Touch. Some work on the Paperwhites as well, but there's no way to access active content on the Voyage. I hardly ever use them, but they are handy when you are at the ER with all the reading interruptions early on. Does use up more power though due to page refreshes.

I downloaded relaxing music for reading from Youtube and just play using my old Itouch. It eliminates the distractions from elsewhere in the house.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-23-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can of course buy multi-function eInk devices, but eInk readers are just that: dedicated single-use devices. That's what I personally want. When I'm reading I don't want to be distracted by other things.
I agree. When I use my ereader I just want to be able to read. Otherwise I may get distracted from it by other things. And of course when you have wifi on to do things like surf the net you drain your battery all the faster. I've noticed that with the Kindle Fire. Within a couple hours if I watch something on NetFlix the battery is getting very low. Of course with a kindle like the paperwhite you can't really watch video very well either due to the slow refresh rate compared to LCD screens.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While I pretty much agree that browsers and such would detract from a dedicated reader, there are a number of games and utilities that can be added to Kobo and Kindle devices. One I like is Sergey's PBChess package Instalation instructions.

Menu Items, from the applications.ini:

CoolReader = cr3.sh
FileManager = file_manager.sh
OPDS = opds.sh
Dropbox = dropbox.sh
Chess = pbchess.sh
Checkers = checkers.sh
Sokoban = sokoban.sh
Reversi = reversi.sh
Gomoku = gomoku.sh
Sudoku = sudoku.sh
Frotz = frotz.sh
Dictionary = dictionary.sh
Notepad = notepad.sh
Calculator = calculator.sh
Konsole = konsole.sh
WiFiServer = wifi_server.sh
Reboot = reboot.sh
Power off = poweroff.sh

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:15 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Why e-readers no longer have any extra features comes down to the way the hardware and software are designed to preform it's primary function--displaying eBooks. They use the slowest, lowest power using CPUs and the minimum amount of system memory (RAM) necessary to keep the cost down. Adding any extra hardware features (MP3/audio-book playback, ability to play games, or a non crappy web browser) would significantly increase hardware cost. ...
I thought I read that the wifi hardware used on some (maybe most) ereaders included the bluetooth hardware? So there would be no additional cost (for hardware) for MP3/audio-book playback to be added?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #28
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
someone try to convince me to get Android BOOX e-ink ereader but i end up still get kindle paperwhite

he say Android e-ink ereader support many things
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
someone try to convince me to get Android BOOX e-ink ereader but i end up still get kindle paperwhite

he say Android e-ink ereader support many things
Depends on the Android e-ink reader. My Tolino Epos uses Android and does not support much beyond e-reading and a limited web browser unless it has been hacked. I've played with a couple of Android e-readers and one of them had been hacked to allow access to Google Play. Sadly very few of the applications she wanted to try were actually usable. The Kindle app she was trying to use had some rather odd issues possibly due to an older version of Android (4.2??) and the lack of hardware support for some functions. Though it was fun watching her trying to read a book that looked normal on an Android tablet and iDevices but had interesting ( for certain values of interesting ) formatting when she tried reading it. Most of the other apps she tried were either video oriented--e-ink and video are not a good match or simply did not install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #30
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I don’t want my e-reader to have extra functions like a camera, games and mp3’s. That’s what cell phones are for! I like my e-reader for reading.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote