Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #31
Shinryuu
Shinryuu began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 (4GB, G090G1)
Hey! I bought this PW3-4 not too long time ago from Finland. I was able to get special offer off as well. To be more precise it seems to be the first gen. I'm highly interested jailbreaking my device as well. Also, thanks for making this possible. Keep up the great work!

Here are the details for my device:
Serial Number: G090 G105 XXXX XXXX
Firmware version: Kindle 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011)

EDIT1. Posted information here because I noticed that in another thread it was recommended to post your information in to the forums and it seems this thread is the correct place for this. Also after reading the whole thread I noticed that I might need some special files as well.

Last edited by Shinryuu; 11-13-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Shinryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #32
mcdull
mcdull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32GB
I am a little confused.
In an old thread said that I need to do something before actually switching on the 5.8.9.0.1 device in order to sustain the JB. Does it mean the "JB blocker folder" to be created on the top level of USB storage?

I am expecting a KPW3-32G and hope it will be a 5.8.9.0.1 device.
Should I request specific file from knc1 once received?
mcdull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
I am a little confused.
In an old thread said that I need to do something before actually switching on the 5.8.9.0.1 device in order to sustain the JB. Does it mean the "JB blocker folder" to be created on the top level of USB storage?

I am expecting a KPW3-32G and hope it will be a 5.8.9.0.1 device.
Should I request specific file from knc1 once received?
Section one, two and three (just ignore that the subject there is the KOA2, the first three are for your situation also):
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2OWN8DZND65QT?
The same document is available as a *.pdf:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbre..._Jailbreak.pdf

Sections one and two, as written.
For section three, use the file attached to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275887

If you fail to get the "Jailbroken" document as a result of Section three, PM for the file you need.

- - - - -

For the curious, where all of these JB instructions are going . . . .
The will be combined into documents that can be maintained by anyone, masters on git hub, alternates in the Wiki here.
Changes to the Wiki here will have to be pushed back to the master files on git hub to keep things consistent.

This way, if shamanNS does not like the way something is written, it is his own fault for not editing it.

Last edited by knc1; 11-17-2017 at 09:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #34
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #35
NoSohoth
NoSohoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Worked like a charm on my new PaperWhite 3 WiFi 4GB that I bought 2 days ago on Amazon.fr. Thanks a lot !

It shipped with 5.8.9.0.1. I tried disabling the Special Offers before performing the jailbreak, but it seems the customer support doesn't do it for free anymore.

When you talked about skipping to step 4, I didn't know if you meant "start from step 4" or "start from step 1 and then read the specific steps for 5.8.9.0.1 once you reach step 4" So I did the latter and it all just worked.

Very straight forward if you read carefully. For example, don't forget to apply the hotfix before step 8 (software update) since we lost registration back at step 2 (doing the reset).
NoSohoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #36
mreader123
mreader123 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
knc1,

I also have a 5.8.9.0.1 model, g090g1 PW3 and I sent you a PM.

It has special offers, but I haven't connected to internet or setup yet for fear of ruining JB chance. Is it ok to setup update.bin.tmp.partial folder, log into my account, and remove special offers before I start the JB process?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by mreader123; 12-26-2017 at 06:52 PM.
mreader123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #37
mreader123
mreader123 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Just finished JB mine as well..Thank you knc1!

Also, just to be safe, can we leave it running as factory 5.8.9.0.1? I wanted to be able to redo the jailbreak in case it gets messed up (giving this as gift to parents). Thanks for all your help!
mreader123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreader123 View Post
Just finished JB mine as well..Thank you knc1!

Also, just to be safe, can we leave it running as factory 5.8.9.0.1? I wanted to be able to redo the jailbreak in case it gets messed up (giving this as gift to parents). Thanks for all your help!
None of our add-ins are intended (or designed) to run on the factory production line, Q.A. firmware.
So there isn't much sense in leaving it running the factory testing firmware.

You should avoid 5.9.2 - that is another bag of worms.
5.8.11 plus the OTA blocking directory name is your best choice.

The only way the jail break can be "messed up" is:
press "Reset"
load an update image
Those two actions, in that exact order.

The OTA blocking directory name will prevent one of those from happening automatically.
Of course, it can't stop someone from doing it manually.

Stern warnings to keep fingers away from the "Reset (to factory defaults)" is all you can do about the other.

And the above situation is the same for either factory or customer firmware builds.

Last edited by knc1; 12-27-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
None of our add-ins are intended (or designed) to run on the factory production line, Q.A. firmware.
So there isn't much sense in leaving it running the factory testing firmware.

You should avoid 5.9.2 - that is another bag of worms.
5.8.11 plus the OTA blocking directory name is your best choice.

The only way the jail break can be "messed up" is:
press "Reset"
load an update image
Those two actions, in that exact order.

The OTA blocking directory name will prevent one of those from happening automatically.
Of course, it can't stop someone from doing it manually.

Stern warnings to keep fingers away from the "Reset (to factory defaults)" is all you can do about the other.

And the above situation is the same for either factory or customer firmware builds.
Hmmm. Would it be possible to remove the "reset" option from the menu? That would certainly remove the possibility of someone losing their jailbreak by accident.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Hmmm. Would it be possible to remove the "reset" option from the menu? That would certainly remove the possibility of someone losing their jailbreak by accident.

Dave
coplate already built an update image that would reverse the damage done by a reset.

To remove it from the menu would take changes to the obfuscated java for every firmware/model build combination.
We don't have the support people to keep up with those changes.
And the user managing to keep that add-in current.

I.E:
It would be nice, but not practical.
(Unless somebody got JBpatch working again)
Old 12-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #41
Ayush123
Ayush123 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Section one, two and three (just ignore that the subject there is the KOA2, the first three are for your situation also):
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2OWN8DZND65QT?
The same document is available as a *.pdf:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbre..._Jailbreak.pdf

Sections one and two, as written.
For section three, use the file attached to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275887

If you fail to get the "Jailbroken" document as a result of Section three, PM for the file you need.

- - - - -

For the curious, where all of these JB instructions are going . . . .
The will be combined into documents that can be maintained by anyone, masters on git hub, alternates in the Wiki here.
Changes to the Wiki here will have to be pushed back to the master files on git hub to keep things consistent.

This way, if shamanNS does not like the way something is written, it is his own fault for not editing it.
This is what I was talking about @knc1. I am not getting the jail broken document. Please PM me the file.
Details:
Serial Number: G090 G105 xxxx xxxx

I finished downgrading and followed the steps according to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336
But now I am stuck since I can not see the jail broken document after I install the jailbreak. Please help.

Last edited by Ayush123; 12-29-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Ayush123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush123 View Post
This is what I was talking about @knc1. I am not getting the jail broken document. Please PM me the file.
Details:
Serial Number: G090 G105 xxxx xxxx

I finished downgrading and followed the steps according to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336
But now I am stuck since I can not see the jail broken document after I install the jailbreak. Please help.
Where or from who did you get the password to download the image file you used to downgrade your device?
If you didn't use the password protected image file, you used the wrong one.
Please do not PM me about how you have done everything right.
Obviously you have not.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #43
Ayush123
Ayush123 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Where or from who did you get the password to download the image file you used to downgrade your device?
If you didn't use the password protected image file, you used the wrong one.
Please do not PM me about how you have done everything right.
Obviously you have not.
I used this link from your post : https://www.adrive.com/public/yatbhy..._5.8.9.0.1.bin
From the fore mentioned post about jail breaking 5.8.9.0.1
I am really sorry but can you please PM me all the required links. Thank you and sorry.

Last edited by Ayush123; 12-29-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Ayush123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #44
frozenboy
frozenboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle ppw3
I got a PPW3 from my friend with serial number G090 G105 and fw 5.8.7, I get it downgrade to 5.7.4 and jailbreak , I wonder if I could update to 5.8.9.0.1 without losing jailbreak or not?.
frozenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #45
Glukkkk
Enthusiast
Glukkkk began at the beginning.

Device: Forma _ KSM-9 _ vlasovsoft
Cool

Quote:
Step #4:
Use this file:
https://www.adrive.com/public/yatbhy..._5.8.9.0.1.bin
This will "update" ("update" is the label on the button, not the action) your firmware from "customer" 5.8.9.0.1 to "factory" 5.8.9.0.1

"The file you are trying to access is no longer available publicly."
Glukkkk is offline   Reply With Quote