Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will we name the new book club?
The New Leaf Book Club 12 57.14%
The Book Stops Here 1 4.76%
Great Expectations Book Club 4 19.05%
ACME Book Club 0 0%
The Discovery Book Club 2 9.52%
Running Brooks Book Club 1 4.76%
Booky McBook Club 1 4.76%
Portable Magic Book Club 6 28.57%
Electric Avenue Book Club 0 0%
Looney Tomes Book Club 0 0%
Mobileread Book Club 5 23.81%
New Bits Book Club 1 4.76%
New Electrons Book Club 1 4.76%
Bits, Bytes and Books Club 1 4.76%
Books by the Byte Book Club 5 23.81%
QUEST: QUEST for Unifying Engagement through Study of Tomes Book Club 2 9.52%
Bookbytes Book Club 1 4.76%
Great Beginnings Book Club 3 14.29%
Wondrous Words Book Club 1 4.76%
Words and Sounds Book Club 1 4.76%
The New Book Club 4 19.05%
Pages & Perspectives Book Club 8 38.10%
The Backlist Book Club 1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
You're very welcome!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a badge without The is used, then we need a new vote or those badges need to go. You cannot have a vote for a new name and then one person unilaterally decide to change it after the vote. It doesn't work that way.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excuse me, Jon. But I can wear whatever badges I want to, provided they meet MR guidelines. And NO ONE here, certainly NOT you, dictates what badge I personally choose to use. Again, with the caveat that they meet MR guidelines. Back off! You have now PERSONALLY offended me.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Excuse me, Jon. But I can wear whatever badges I want to, provided they meet MR guidelines. And NO ONE here, certainly NOT you, dictates what badge I personally choose to use. Again, with the caveat that they meet MR guidelines. Back off! You have now PERSONALLY offended me.
Then stop trying to change the name. The name that was voted for is the name that should be used. Some alternate name is not what won the vote.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but the name is the name regardless of what anyone says.

Anyway, enough said.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Jon, "The" is not important in the grand scheme. Do as you will and give others the same latitude. Charlie very nicely provided badges to suit both preferences and that's the end of this discussion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #21
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for the badge, Charlie. I'm looking forward to participating in this new club each month.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Excellent, BelleZora. I am too.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hello Roshni. Keep watching the Book Club sub-forum and you will see more activities for the new club very soon!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:31 AM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And, Roshni, while you wait for us to start nominating and voting on our first month's selection, beginning January 1st for a discussion starting February 15th, feel free to drop by the old MR Book Club for our very last selection, Whose Body, by Dorothy L. Sayers. We'll start discussing that on January 20th, giving you plenty of time to read it. Some details, from the voting thread:
Spoiler:
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Series Book 1) by Dorothy L. Sayers
Goodreads | Amazon US / Amazon UK / Audible US / Audible UK / Public Domain
Print Length: 208 pages
From Amazon:

Wimseys mother, the Dowager Duchess of Denver, rings her son with news of such a quaint thing. She has heard through a friend that Mr. Thipps, a respectable Battersea architect, found a dead man in his bathwearing nothing but a gold pince-nez. Lord Wimsey makes his way straight over to Mr. Thipps, and a good look at the body raises a number of interesting questions. Why would such an apparently well groomed man have filthy black toenails, flea bites and the scent of carbolic soap lingering on his corpse? Then comes the disappearance of oil millionaire Sir Reuben Levy, last seen on the Battersea Park Road. With his beard shaved he would look very similar to the man found in the bath, but is Sir Levy really dead?

From FadedPage:

"Whose Body" is something of an apprentice work. Lord Peter is here more a bundle of characteristics than a character: a collector of rare books and incunabula, facile with quotations, fluent in French and probably in Latin, a skillful and sensitive pianist who never needs to practise, slightly built but possessed of "curious" strength and speed which he maintains without exercise. Over subsequent books, this caricature smooths and deepens into one of the most interesting and attractive detectives in fiction.
In spite of its awkwardness, Whose Body is worth reading. The plot is clever, the villain is believable and sadistic, and most of the supporting characters are a delight. Some of these characters are further developed in later novels: Bunter, Parker, the Dowager Duchess, Freddy Arbuthnot. Others fortunately are not. Sayers is much better with people she might recognise as "like us" then with people from other social groups.

From Goodreads:

The stark naked body was lying in the tub. Not unusual for a proper bath, but highly irregular for murder -- especially with a pair of gold pince-nez deliberately perched before the sightless eyes. What's more, the face appeared to have been shaved after death. The police assumed that the victim was a prominent financier, but Lord Peter Wimsey, who dabbled in mystery detection as a hobby, knew better. In this, his first murder case, Lord Peter untangles the ghastly mystery of the corpse in the bath.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Thank you for the badge, I think I got the link set up correctly...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Thank you for the badge, I think I got the link set up correctly...
It looks good to me!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Wow! I can't believe I missed this thread, but the name chosen is great, though I must admit I still have a soft spot for "Electric Avenue".
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Ah, sorry you missed it Tom.