Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #1
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Storing eBooks.

I have what I refer to as a Kindle eBook store and a Kobo eBook store.
Firstly is, "Book store" the correct term to use?
Secondly. Is it possible to move eBooks from a Kindle Book store to a Kobo book store and vice versa?
Thirdly. Is there a Book store available where one may store every type of eBook?
BrickyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I don't think it is really possible to move things between different vendor stores. There might be one out there, but I have not seen it.

You might look into Calibre. It is a device agnostic e-book storage and organizing tool that can store all of your books on your computer. It can also convert the formats from one e-book type to another.

The MR Calibre forum is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, those things aren't possible. It's possible to store everything in Calibre, though, and that's what most people do who want to back up their books.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-24-2022 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But you may want to remove any DRM. You'll need Calibre 6 and the DeDRM p10.0.3 lugin that can be found at https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:00 PM   #5
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you may want to remove any DRM. You'll need Calibre 6 and the DeDRM p10.0.3 lugin that can be found at https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
The MR Calibre forum appears to be what I need in that I just want one port of call. However, I'm not sure what DRM is.
Advert
Old 12-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Digital Rights Management. When you buy an ebook from Amazon and download it, before it is sent to you, you need to specify which of your kindles you want to read it on. Then they add something to the file before sending it to you such that only THAT kindle will be able to open it. If you copy the file from the kindle's folder and paste it into even another kindle that you own, it will not open. You also can't edit the book or change it to another format like epub.

If you remove the DRM it becomes possible to edit the book, change formats, and read it on any ereader you own.

Calibre itself does not remove DRM, but it is a very nice library program for sorting, rating and categorizing your ebooks.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Digital Rights Management. When you buy an ebook from Amazon and download it, before it is sent to you, you need to specify which of your kindles you want to read it on. Then they add something to the file before sending it to you such that only THAT kindle will be able to open it. If you copy the file from the kindle's folder and paste it into even another kindle that you own, it will not open. You also can't edit the book or change it to another format like epub.

If you remove the DRM it becomes possible to edit the book, change formats, and read it on any ereader you own.

Calibre itself does not remove DRM, but it is a very nice library program for sorting, rating and categorizing your ebooks.
Many thanks for the above. As it is I have recently started to lose patience with Amazon so I don't think I will be buying eBooks from them again.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Digital Rights Management. When you buy an ebook from Amazon and download it, before it is sent to you, you need to specify which of your kindles you want to read it on. Then they add something to the file before sending it to you such that only THAT kindle will be able to open it.
Usually. But the publisher /author can request DRM free on Amazon and Google.
Amazon adds DRM ANYWAY if you use an App or Whisper net. You'll only get it DRM via download from My Content & Devices page, if it is DRM free.
DRM is as if you can only use a personally supplied to you by one vendor pair of glasses to read and only for that vendors product.

Doesn't stop pirates. The only real advantage is profit to people with DRM patents or products.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickyBrian View Post
Thirdly. Is there a Book store available where one may store every type of eBook?
The PocketBook Cloud allows you to upload books from anywhere (Kindle and Kobo would probably have to be De-DRMed), but it's pretty slow and (I think) the space is fairly limited.

I think you probably would have better luck with Calibre and one of its online plugins/add-ons associated with it. (I've never used these but I've read about them -- or maybe it's just one available.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As an addendum, after you've backed up your books, you want an offsite backup as well. Crap happens. My cousin lost all his digital stuff in a fire except what was on flash drives at another family member's house. Some people have lost everything stored in the cloud when it was abruptly shut down.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, off-site is an HDD (lasts longer powered down than SSD/Flash), not Dropbox, One-Drive or anywhere else on the Internet.

More than one backup is good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If you read Science Fiction look at Baen Books. All of their books are DRM free and available in multiple formats.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 12-25-2022 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Tired and Sleep Deprived
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And don't store that backup drive in the same region (area),. Fire, flood, earthquakes, tornadoes have wiped out whole towns or counties.
(You may want stuff to read while you wait YEARS for insurance and building departments to allow you to rebuild. Just ask the folk in Northern Calif. )

KEEP YOUR OWN LIBRARY COPIES.

3 of the (publishers) stores I bought from back when I joined MR are gone.
Do not direct download to a device from a store (unless you have previously downloaded to your PC successfully). Protected Storage means you can't extract that document via USB.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And don't store that backup drive in the same region (area),. Fire, flood, earthquakes, tornadoes have wiped out whole towns or counties.
Depends on where you live. For example, there are none of those things in my country. Fires and floods are very small here (possibly a house or two might go at the most), no earthquakes, tornadoes or volcanoes. Plus, my country is so tiny most US states are considerably larger, so there's no real possibility to store something in another area.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #15
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Totally agree with the backup issue. Too many stores have closed down and anyone that didn't bother to download their purchases from these stores lost everything.

I have always taken them at their word when they said that they couldn't guarantee that your books would always be accessible. So right after purchase, I download my books to my pc, strip them of drm convert to epub and save them to my pc, my portable Iomega hard drive, my current cell phone, my Kobo reader, my Samsung tablet and my two older cell phones that I use as mp3 players!

So, I have all of my 2,489 ebooks backed up on multiple devices for safe keeping.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote