Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
eBook stores that offer PDF or Djvu or any fixed layout file format?

Are there any eBook stores with new releases in formats besides ePub and mobi? Or do I have to buy the hard copy and get it scanned myself?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Are there any eBook stores with new releases in formats besides ePub and mobi? Or do I have to buy the hard copy and get it scanned myself?
Google Play probably offers more fixed layout (PDF) books as far as I have noticed. OTOH, a reflowable ebook allows modifying the font size, margins, line spacing without having to pan and zoom to see that fixed page size in a window.

Some publications such as children's books work well with fixed layout but most fixed layout publications are aimed at 10" and larger screens. PDF for example is often aimed at letter/8.5"x11" or A4/210mmx297mm paper size. As an example, one using my tech manuals, the hardcopy has foldout diagrams that are A2 size while the PDF version uses a single page per diagram. Zooming the page to make it viewable also makes it near impossible to follow lines across the diagram.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it's only at the discretion of the publisher then? I know for example O'Reilly provides all their eBooks in five formats. No eBook store is offering conversions?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So it's only at the discretion of the publisher then? I know for example O'Reilly provides all their eBooks in five formats. No eBook store is offering conversions?
Looking at O'Reilly's web page, it seems most of their content comes in ePub, mobi or PDF plus .apk for Android devices. While Baen for example supplies 7 different formats, the only one that might be considered as non-reflowable is the RTF option which is easily printable to PDF.

If you want conversions on non-DRMed content, look at programs such as calibre.

You could try to convince publishers/ebook vendors that there is enough of a market out there for non-reflowable ebooks but that's likely to be tilting at windmills.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at O'Reilly's web page, it seems most of their content comes in ePub, mobi or PDF plus .apk for Android devices. While Baen for example supplies 7 different formats, the only one that might be considered as non-reflowable is the RTF option which is easily printable to PDF.

If you want conversions on non-DRMed content, look at programs such as calibre.

You could try to convince publishers/ebook vendors that there is enough of a market out there for non-reflowable ebooks but that's likely to be tilting at windmills.
But the publishers already have these fixed-layout ebooks in their possession; it’s basically the editor copies for the their hard copy versions. I get why Amazon wouldn’t bother with these formats but alternative ebook stores might consider it a value add, especially as these already offer these formats for some of their books.

Calibre isn’t really a solution as converting a flowable ebook to a fixed layout doesnt work well without professional copy editing.

I might just have to go the 1dollarscan option (not sure if you’re familiar with that in Vancouver — are there similar Canadian scanning companies)?

Thanks for your replies helping me think through this
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
These PDF you want work very poorly on any eInk device with a 6" screen. The PDF are too larger and the text too small. You'd need to buy a large screen Reader and that's not cheap.

Why is it you want PDF when most eBooks don't need to be in PDF as reflowable formats such as ePub or KF8 work well?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PDFs are for proofing for paper, or producing paper. It's certainly tricky to produce certain kinds of content as reflowable text, which is what real ebooks do to suit different screen sizes. Many PDFs need 10" or better screens, though some work on 7" to 8".

PDFs are not eBooks. They are essentially paper books in electronic format. If you have some sort of crazy device that can't actually display real ebooks, then it's possible to convert real ebooks to PDFs. The other way round is very hard work. You may of course need to remove DRM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Smashwords, Google Books, Onebookshelf.

Of course, being pdf, there's no guarantee that a device which can read some pdfs will be able to read these particular pdfs without crashing. I end up having to reprocess all the pdfs.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@pata: I have to ask, why?

If you are after text books or similar with complicated formatting, I can see why. But, in that case, the question should be, "Where can I buy a book about topic x?" If you are talking about fiction, there is rarely any advantage in using PDF. And the lack of text flow and font resizing, to me at least, makes it a worse format to read.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I am genuinely interested in the answer to this question too. In the majority of cases, PDF negates all the things that make ebooks preferable to hard copy, for the reasons many have outlined above. I am fascinated and look forward to finding out why anyone would want PDF as a preferred or default choice for ebooks generally.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
pata
Zealot

Oh after DNSB and I going back and forth for a bit I didn't expect others to jump into the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This is why in a nutshell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
PDFs... are essentially paper books in electronic format. If you have some sort of crazy device... [Many PDFs need 10" or better screens, though some work on 7" to 8".]
I loved paper books and I have a 20" 4K tablet. More crazy devices were just released these past few months e.g. a 13" foldable computer, a 10" color eink tablet, an 8" dual screen phone. I don't think PDF should be the default or preferred choice (although Adobe has added a PDF reflow feature it's pretty poor) but I think it should be a valid option
Old 01-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But reflowable epubs will work on all of those better than PDF. A PDF is only ideal at 300 dpi to 600dpi and where the screen is the same size or a little bigger as thhe PDF page size, or large enough for a two page spread. Then it's often too heavy to read for long unless it's propped up. My 9.7" eink DXG and 10" LCD Lenovo tablet are both too heavy other than reference, no good for reading a novel.

A reflowable PDF spec is as pointless as a fixed layout epub spec. No doubt Adobe trying to get market share.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-31-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But reflowable epubs will work on all of those better than PDF.
Reflowable epubs will work on all of those better than PDF except for replicating the paper book.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:12 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Reflowable epubs will work on all of those better than PDF except for replicating the paper book.
Why would I want to replicate a paper book on an electronic device?
Old 01-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #15
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why would I want to replicate a paper book on an electronic device?
You don't but I do