Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Unless they decide violate their ToS and send information without notifying you. They're working at the OS level. They can definitely do that. They likely don't because the PR fallout would be absolutely huge for the small benefit they would get out of it.
They can do it but as you said, the benefits are not worth the disaster if anybody found out. It'd also be illegal in various countries. If you're running beta software then you agree to have this sort of thing happen as part of the testing agreements usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Same with Amazon. They could look at all my documents but if it got out that they were doing that, it would make their 1984 fiasco look like nothing. All it would take would be one employee leaking it to a blog. I doubt they're that stupid.
Pretty much.

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-03-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Removed comments about 1984 since I'm sure its been talked about to death on this forum already :)
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think Amazon cares one bit, nor do they know or catalog, what personal documents you have on your Kindle.

I don't even think what happened with 1984 was intentional. They deleted the book from their servers, as was right and proper, but it had the unintended effect of deleting the book from user's Kindles as well.

If it was discovered that Amazon was snooping into user's documents, it'd make the overblown fuss over 1984 look like an amusing little side show next to a giant three ring circus.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
I do believe if you don't connect to the Kindle servers at least once a week. The Kindle fairy comes around at night to check your Kindle for non Amazon content
geemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't think Amazon cares one bit, nor do they know or catalog, what personal documents you have on your Kindle.

I don't even think what happened with 1984 was intentional. They deleted the book from their servers, as was right and proper, but it had the unintended effect of deleting the book from user's Kindles as well.

If it was discovered that Amazon was snooping into user's documents, it'd make the overblown fuss over 1984 look like an amusing little side show next to a giant three ring circus.
If I recall correctly, it was the refund they issued which caused the automatic deletion. And they absolutely had to refund it otherwise they would be profiting from the copyright infringement which is a serious legal matter here in the US.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinrobinson View Post
You'd think they'd be on top of privacy concerns. This is the reason why a lot of people won't purchase e-readers - they are paranoid and prefer not to be monitored.
They do have a pretty rigorous privacy policy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Now that kindles support wifi, it should be easy enough to capture and analyze all traffic coming from the device. I googled around a bit and was surprised that nobody has done it yet. Would be a neat project.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgh View Post
Now that kindles support wifi, it should be easy enough to capture and analyze all traffic coming from the device. I googled around a bit and was surprised that nobody has done it yet. Would be a neat project.
If they are using HTTPS (which they should), this would only capture the (useless) encrypted stream. But it's worth a try.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
True. I suppose you could do it on a rooted kindle2 and catch the data earlier yet, rendering the 3G/wifi issue moot.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #24
softshell
softshell began at the beginning.

Device: none
i've never owned a kindle (k3 shipping out soon i hope) but never really thought about the privacy issues. can amazon legally do anything about the content on your kindle? i'm obviously not going to start loading it with pirated books, but can they brick it or something if they do a 'scan' and notice that it contains copyrighted content that wasn't purchased?
softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #25
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I really wouldn't worry about it too much, I did have the same worries but if they did anything like that the backlash would destroy them. I really think, while they maybe can see whats there, that they only monitor system stuff and amazon titles for backup reasons. Plus they don't hold the copyright on the books anyway, and it s the copyright holder that acts. I use my kindle for Amazon books and drm free books anyway, but I have heard of many others who load anything on it with no action ever being taken.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote