Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
manada
manada began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower

Hello!

First off, I'd like to quickly thank everyone on this forum, you guys are great. I was able to get my library organized, my kobo filled up, and everything the way I like it be because of your posts and thoughts. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, as of this morning I seem to be frequently receiving errors, and I'm not sure what it means. I'm good with computers (I work in research informatics), but programming language baffles me. I just can't follow it.

I have calibre version 0.7.13, and am running on Windows Vista. Here is an example of the error I received as I selected a certain tag ("non-fiction", I believe) from the left menu to display only books with that tag:

"ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 956, in search
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 181, in parse
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 190, in _parse
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 198, in evaluate
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 201, in evaluate_and
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 198, in evaluate
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 226, in evaluate_token
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 860, in get_matches
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 827, in <lambda>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'"

I received similar errors ("AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower") when adding books, converting books, searching for books, and sending books to my kobo. I tried restarting calibre, and double-checked for updates, but to no avail. I haven't changed anything in the settings recently, except the update a few days ago, and this only began today.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!
manada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It looks like the metadata cache file on your kobo is corrupt. The error is saying that some book does not have a title, a condition that is never supposed to happen.

You can check this by looking at the file 'metadata.calibre' on your Kobo. I can't tell you whether to look at the one in main memory or on the card (or if you have a card). Use an editor that supports Unix line ending conventions. If you don't have one, try wordpad. Once the file is open, look at all the lines beginning with 'title'. If I am right, at least one of them will be something like 'title': None.

Another more radical step which might be easier would be to delete the metadata.calibre file. Ensure calibre is not running, plug in the device, go to the drive for the kobo, remove the file, then start calibre. Calibre will rebuild the file from the books on the device. The problem with this approach is that the cache is built from metadata in the files, which may not be the same as the metadata in calibre. As a result, you might need to resend some books to get the OnDevice indication right.

Good luck!
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
manada
manada began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
chaley, I found the file and opened it with word pad, and found the offending title entry! It seems to have done the trick, thank you so much!!
manada is offline   Reply With Quote